Fring becomes first official free VoIP app for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Fring becomes first official free VoIP app for iPhone, iPod touch

Fringland Ltd. has launched its new iPhone and iPod touch application fring, the first app with support for free Voice over IP (VoIP) telephony to become available on the App Store. The application offers support for both voice and text communications and a number of different services, including fring, Skype, MSN, Google Talk, AIM, Yahoo!, Twitter, and ICQ. Due to restrictions placed on VoIP apps by Apple, voice calls are available only when connected via Wi-Fi, while text-based messaging is available over both Wi-Fi and cellular data connections. Fring is available now as a free download from the App Store.

« iPhone Software 2.2 features emoji, Google Street View, more

Mix: Rogers, Tagger, Photoboard, VisualHub »

Comments

Actually an app called Pennytel is the first VOIp app for the iPhone. Been out for about 2 weeks. Not sure if its available on the overseas stores or not

Posted by Chris Putnam on October 3, 2008 at 7:49 PM (CDT)

Both Truphone and Pennytel and really just front-ends for proprietary services that sell you VoIP calling features, so while they are technically VoIP apps, they’re not in the same category as the much more open Fring client.

Fring is the first free open-platform app that supports any SIP-based VoIP service, as well as Skype and multi-platform text-based chat services.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on October 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

I have a question,
I downloaded fring andit looks nice. When i dial a number a pop-up msg says something about additional cost that might fall in. so what are they talking about?

Posted by dennis on October 4, 2008 at 6:23 AM (CDT)

This sounds great. I actually use sipgate.com software (which I believe has been out for some time now also) on my iPhone and connect it to raketu.com SIP service for free or almost free international calls - much cheaper than the rest. And with raketu I can also use the service on my desktop or any internet browser to make free/cheap international calls with no download. Maybe Fring would work with Raketu SIP settings?

Posted by DaveJ on October 4, 2008 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

((truphone)) has been since the first day the iPhone launched in the App store. What are they talking about. truphone has even been upgraded twice or three times to improve the quality and it is outstanding service. I am not sure what people really talk about…. truphone is just GREAT and has saved me a hell lot of money on international and national calls.

Posted by DavidS on October 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

Now all we Touch 2G owners need is a bluetooth headset that interfaces with the bluetooth module inside…

Posted by Eric on October 4, 2008 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

Truphone is BARELY qualified to call themselves a voip service. The voice quality is choppy 90% of the time. They bill in full minute increments and charge an extra half cent in all their calling plans. This gives them the ability to round UP in every phone call. a 10 second call costs a minute worth of purchased time which is then rounded up to the highest penny. 6.5 cents actually always cost 7 cents unless you speak for 1minute and 1 seconds which will cost you 14 cents. They also start their billing from the moment you press send, not from the time it is answered. Their customer service takes DAYS for response and they ignore ALL proof of misbilling by sending back off subject form responses days later or none at all.

Posted by Bob S on October 4, 2008 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

“Fring becomes first official free VoIP app for iPhone, iPod touch”

Posted by Dizzle on October 4, 2008 at 11:55 PM (CDT)

Wait, call me crazy, but how on earth is VoIP supposed to work on the iPod touch.  There is no mic. Dizzle

Ok, you’re crazy ;)

It’s also worth noting that the second-generation iPod touch, like the fourth-generation iPod nano and second-generation iPod classic, now includes the ability to work with external microphones—at least, certain external microphones. Page 4 iPod touch 2G review.

We tried fring the other night - iPhone 3G to iPod touch 2G - and the call quality was pretty good, almost as good as transatlantic calls via landline.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on October 5, 2008 at 7:16 AM (CDT)

this is pretty cool im going to need toget this for when i got to canada but does anyone know what mics work the best with this or just one that works

Posted by Notasoccerstar09 on October 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM (CDT)

Please forgive me for asking a stupid question. I have read here that Someone tried a call from iphone 3G to a IPOD TOUCH 2nd Generation.  I also found a video clip from fring stating it does not work (VOICE) on IPOD TOUCH..  Please help me clarify as I do not have the Headphones with remote and mic.

Thanks,

Sun

Posted by SunofSam on October 5, 2008 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

So If I purchase this app and a 2nd G ipod touch and the not yet released Apple headphones, I can make VOIP calls. Great to know, wake me when the headphones are avilable.

Posted by gear on October 6, 2008 at 7:05 AM (CDT)

#12: Okay, time to wake up. Any pair of iPhone mic headphones work with the touch 2G.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 6, 2008 at 7:28 AM (CDT)

I have a 2G iPod touch and just picked up a new pair of apple iPhone ear phones with mic. I have tested it with fring and it works fine, i’m just in the process of getting the SIP set up so I can call out to mobiles and land lines. Hopefully in an hour i’ll be making calls…

Posted by Jarrah on October 20, 2008 at 6:35 AM (CDT)

So, what’s the word Jarrah? Did you get it to work with mobiles and land lines? I bought the Touch specifically for this purpose because I am currently outside the US for an extended period and I can’t do what I bought it to do. Where did you get your Apple earphones with mic? Their website says that they are not available yet.

Posted by Phil on November 10, 2008 at 2:25 PM (CST)

I have an iPod Touch 2.0, I have downloaded Fring, I have bought the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic. However, I can hear the “other party” but the other party can’t hear me. The sound on the iPod is up and I clicked the + button on the mic - so what am I doing wrong??

Posted by Martha on February 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM (CST)