Fujitsu claims iPad name ‘is ours’
Apple may be headed for a dispute with Fujitsu over the iPad trademark. Fujitsu applied for the iPad trademark in the U.S. in 2003, a year after it unveiled its own iPad, a handheld device designed to help shop clerks with inventory, sales, and price checks. “It’s our understanding that the name is ours,” Masahiro Yamane, director of Fujitsu’s public relations division, told the New York Times. Features of Fujitsu’s iPad include a 3.5-inch color touchscreen, an Intel processor, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and VoIP telephony. “Mobile is a keyword for Fujitsu’s iPad, too,” Mr. Yamane said. “With the iPad, workers don’t have to keep running back to a computer. They have everything right at their fingertips.”
The United States Patent and Trademark Office listed Fujitsu’s application for the mark as abandoned in early 2009, but the company revived the application in June; soon after, Apple began filing for an iPad international trademark via a proxy company, and has since filed requests with the USPTO for more time to oppose Fujitsu’s application. According to the report, Apple has until February 28 to state whether it will oppose Fujitsu’s claims to the iPad name. Notably, Apple faced a similar situation with the original iPhone, as that name was held by Cisco at the time; the two companies eventually negotiated a settlement. Fujitsu is a current component supplier to Apple, providing the company with laptop hard drives for its MacBook line of notebooks.
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
- iPhone theft decline attributed to Activation Lock feature
- iOS 8.4 already in development?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?