Fujitsu claims iPad name ‘is ours’
Apple may be headed for a dispute with Fujitsu over the iPad trademark. Fujitsu applied for the iPad trademark in the U.S. in 2003, a year after it unveiled its own iPad, a handheld device designed to help shop clerks with inventory, sales, and price checks. “It’s our understanding that the name is ours,” Masahiro Yamane, director of Fujitsu’s public relations division, told the New York Times. Features of Fujitsu’s iPad include a 3.5-inch color touchscreen, an Intel processor, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and VoIP telephony. “Mobile is a keyword for Fujitsu’s iPad, too,” Mr. Yamane said. “With the iPad, workers don’t have to keep running back to a computer. They have everything right at their fingertips.”
The United States Patent and Trademark Office listed Fujitsu’s application for the mark as abandoned in early 2009, but the company revived the application in June; soon after, Apple began filing for an iPad international trademark via a proxy company, and has since filed requests with the USPTO for more time to oppose Fujitsu’s application. According to the report, Apple has until February 28 to state whether it will oppose Fujitsu’s claims to the iPad name. Notably, Apple faced a similar situation with the original iPhone, as that name was held by Cisco at the time; the two companies eventually negotiated a settlement. Fujitsu is a current component supplier to Apple, providing the company with laptop hard drives for its MacBook line of notebooks.
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Rumors: ‘iPad Pro’ found in data logs, to enter production in coming months
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple increases iPad business focus, partners with 40+ companies
- El Capitan file hints at split-screen apps on iPad mini 4
- Report: iPhone 6S Force Touch to focus on shortcuts
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?