Future iPod to add integrated radio? | iLounge News

Future iPod to add integrated radio?

Apple has posted a job seeking a RF Hardware Engineer with “knowledge of communication circuits and interest in physical principles utilized in modern radio communication devices, thorough knowledge of modulation methods, coding, compression or encryption.” Could this mean the possibility of a future iPod with radio capabilites?

« Microsoft CEO: iPod users steal music

New smaller, flash-based iPod this Christmas? »

Comments

am and fm radio would be cool on an ipod, but what about satellite radio? now that would be awesome.

Posted by Anirin in CA, USA on October 1, 2004 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

Radio?? I thought the whole purpose of the iPod was to break free from what the radio tries to feed you (although u do want to be updated @ times). I hope the day will come when I can have an iPod that is a cell phone/PDA.

Posted by AZ on October 1, 2004 at 11:47 PM (CDT)

This is for wireless 802.11x/Bluetooth/proprietary RF functionality.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on October 2, 2004 at 12:04 AM (CDT)

This is a competitive response to the number of new MP3 players coming to market with integrated FM radio.  The cool thing about adding radio to a high-capacity MP3 player is that it allows time-shifting of radio programs similar to Tivo with TV.

Imagine being able to listen to Howard Stern in the morning and skipping all the commercials.  Then when you drive home, you can finish the rest of the show.

Posted by maveric on October 2, 2004 at 12:52 AM (CDT)

the above timeshifting would be a killer on the battery, especially when the 32 meg of ram is filled up! writing to the hdd would drain it hard

Posted by tus on October 2, 2004 at 1:11 AM (CDT)

more likely to be someone to work in the AirPort extreme business. maybe a wireless ipod with an airport card that would stream music from the comp, and control it at the same time.
*keeps dreaming*

-Pete-

Posted by peterburk in Geneva, Switzerland on October 2, 2004 at 1:24 AM (CDT)

Adding a radio to an iPod seems pointless and contradictary. Although maybe the job advert is something to do with airport and nothing at all to do with iPods.

Posted by ritchie on October 2, 2004 at 4:18 AM (CDT)

Why not make the integrated radio a DAB one instead of standard AM/FM. That would tie in nicely with the whole ‘digital’ thing.

Posted by Pete on October 2, 2004 at 5:21 AM (CDT)

I personally would like an integrated radio in the iPod. I tried the Digisette FM-Xtra and it is horriable!
Griffin Technology was working on the iFM but stopped. I wish they (or someone) would develop a radio for the iPod.

Bob

Posted by BobR on October 2, 2004 at 8:06 AM (CDT)

Rumors base on job seeking by Apple seem pointless to me…

Posted by Pocaille on October 2, 2004 at 9:20 AM (CDT)

what would be cool: an integrated FM *transmitter* that would replace the iTrip and other similar devices (and improve upon them, one would hope).

Posted by mikejonas on October 2, 2004 at 9:34 AM (CDT)

I would not in my wildest dreams want a radio integrated into the ipod especially if there was evidence of its exsistance on the surface, if you know what I mean.  I agree with some of the above post wouldn’t that contradict the purpose of the ipod.  I often download all my favorite music when it comes out so I have what my fav station is playing, so there’s no point except talk radio etc.  I use my ipod the most in the car and the car has a radio so I wouldn’t use it there.  I think this may be for the 802.11x/Bluetooth/proprietary RF functionality and such since more people want this function.

Posted by Jonathan on October 2, 2004 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

Imagine being able to send radio signals too then you could share music! but temporarily (so that the FCC wont be angry)

Posted by Imagine on October 2, 2004 at 11:40 AM (CDT)

“Imagine being able to send radio signals too then you could share music!”

iRiver does this for years. It’s okay, but not really very cool. Hasn’t been much of a selling point for them.

Posted by iRiver on October 2, 2004 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

to all you iRiver employees… please stop coming over to iPodlounge, this is an iPod commuinty web site not a place for you or anyone to push their products.

Posted by iPod on October 2, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

“Radio communication” is another way of saying RF communication as used in Bluetooth, WiFi or any number of other schemes. Based on the remainder of the description I’d say this job almost certainly isn’t describing FM radio.

Posted by Dylan on October 2, 2004 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

iPod - over react much?

Posted by dave on October 2, 2004 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

“RF communication” also refers to the signals cell phones send and recieve.

BUT personally i think this will be for the aforementioned bluetooth etc, echoing previous comments. but i wouldn’t be surprised to see an onboard fm radio either, the ipod options are endless.

Posted by modern on October 2, 2004 at 7:24 PM (CDT)

How great would it be to have an onboard radio and “Tivo” programs such as Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity?  That would be cool.

Posted by Obadiah on October 2, 2004 at 8:37 PM (CDT)

It’s about freakin’ time Apple adds radio ability!

Radio is NOT a new thing to mp3 players. It’s been standard on Rio’s players for at least the last year and a half - perhaps longer. Apple is playing catch up here.

The radio receivers are also quite small - so they don’t add much weight. And they allow one to tune into broadcasts at gyms with integrated TV broadcasts.

And listening to an occasional radio broadcast doesn’t violate the ‘break free’ concept… In fact, it adds another dimension to ‘break free’ - one that I’ve wanted for a long time.

However, I wonder if this rumor really indicates radio in the iPod, as opposed to radio/wireless communication for a future product. iPodPhone? :-)

Posted by Curtsan on October 2, 2004 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >