Future iPod to add integrated radio? | iLounge News

Future iPod to add integrated radio?

Apple has posted a job seeking a RF Hardware Engineer with “knowledge of communication circuits and interest in physical principles utilized in modern radio communication devices, thorough knowledge of modulation methods, coding, compression or encryption.” Could this mean the possibility of a future iPod with radio capabilites?

« Microsoft CEO: iPod users steal music

New smaller, flash-based iPod this Christmas? »

Comments

Why would i bother with a low quality FM station when I can listen to my highly encoded MP3’s off of my shiney iPod.  I pray that they dont included such a stupid feature into an amazing product.  I think the post is refering to wireless like others have said.  It most likely will link it with that new plug in wireless plug thing they came out with.

Posted by Figured on October 2, 2004 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

i would love fm AND am on my ipod.. and w/ the ability to record it.. (especially for talk radio)

Posted by benjamin on October 2, 2004 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

larget quantiy of personal music packaged in a slick unit is what the ipod is all about.  adding a radio makes the unit that much more powerful and a full-on audio entertaiment center.

Posted by roy on October 2, 2004 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Recording…now thats what the ipod needs, not Am or Fm, it needs recording, the possibilty of being able record without buy costly addons(50 euro per acc is wayy to much) here in europe, the price of the unit is more than the US and i for 1 would like to be able to record using a GOOD microphone.

eg, 50 euro for a pair of headphones and a remote WITHOUT a screen WTFFFF

50 euro for a dock/iTrip/Italk averything is 50 dam euros….can u pls calcualte how mush money that is,,,ALOT

Posted by Duhhh on October 3, 2004 at 3:26 AM (PDT)

oops

good i’d like to listen to radio on ipod….

why didn’t apple do this earlier?

Posted by um on October 3, 2004 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Sorry but,not everybody listens to music 24/7. I use my bike,the bus or walking to get around and as of now I have to carry a separate radio when I leave so yes, a radio-ipod would be a tremendous thing for me.  I would love to be able to listen to sports,sports talk,Imus,Phil Hendrie,news on my ipod.

I’d be interested in a AM-FM radio w/ recording features…even ifI had to plug the ipod into the wall to do long term recording.

If it’s just FM then don’t bother. I stopped listening to FM radio a year ago…..other then when in the car and my gf makes me listen to it….anything good on FM is already on my ipod. With FM being music and the ipod being a music player..it would seem to make more sense to include an AM dial for a change of pace when you are sick of music.

Posted by radioipodmebaby on October 3, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

I still have a 2g iPod since I had no use for any of the new features added to the 3g and 4g iPods BUT if the 5g had AM radio I’d probably upgrade. I like to listen to a lot of sports talk radio.

Posted by Weasel on October 3, 2004 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

Remember the job post asking for people for a supposed video iPod? I think this speculation is unnecessary.

Posted by Bobo on October 3, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

It sounds like a great idea to me, not everyone wants to be stuck with the same music in their ipod. i think that Apple should think about putting fm radio in, but also an option that would allow you to buy the song you’re listening to on the radio and download it into your ipod.

Posted by RJ on October 3, 2004 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

“Coding, compression, and encryption” over RF???

It sounds to me that a prototype iPod would be designed to transmit data of some kind to either another iPod or another device… perhaps streaming to an Airport Express

Honestly, anyone with a slight electronics background can build a radio… Apple must have many engineers and technologists who can do that job…  This sounds a bit bigger than just a radio.

I’m actually very much surprised that no vendor to my knowledge has built a radio device for listening purposes that powers via the remote or dock jack on the iPod.

Posted by John on October 4, 2004 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

I’d love to have radio on my ipod. The ipod is great for recorded stuff… but sometimes you want to listen to things that are happening *now*—NPR or other talk radio, sports, news, maybe even music… which might help you decide what to add into to your little white beauty next.

Posted by JC on October 4, 2004 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

Man, I bought an Ipod so I didn’t have to listen to the gawd awful pop driven radio drivel.

Posted by MeMyselfandI on October 4, 2004 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

There is a such thing as AM talk radio you know.

Posted by Shadow Skill on October 4, 2004 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

You morons do realize that there is more on the radio than music right?
‘‘contradict the purpose of the iPod’’ - So because Jobs doesn’t think the radio is the right way to get your music we shouldn’t have it?

Again the RADIO DOES HAVE MORE THAN MUSIC! Some of us who actually listen to that additional content would rather have one device instead of two to do so. Other devices have had it included for quite some time. Its not make or break for me, as I would not give up my iPod over it as I am sure most people wouldn’t, by why argue against adding a feature that would most likely have very little, if any, asthetic or functional change on the iPod?
You Job fanatics who stand by the company line anytime someone suggest that Steve is a blowhard are pathetic. The Ipod is long overdue for a tuner or ANY WORTHWHILE change to the iPod that would justify dropping another few hundred bucks on the new model. The 4th gen was a JOKE! And if that is what we can expect from Apple in future releases than the words innovation and iPod shouldn’t be used in the same sentence unless discussing what it lacks.

Posted by Unbelievable on October 4, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

What would be nice is HD Radio.  Up here in Seattle we have serveral stations that have setup HD radio signals that would be super nice cd quality music on you Ipod over the raidio.

Posted by Alan on October 4, 2004 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

I don’t get it - why’s everyone going on about Fm radios when DAB’s getting so big and cheap these days?  It’d be a major coup for the new iPod to also be a DAB tuner!

Posted by nocontent on October 5, 2004 at 1:12 AM (PDT)

Excuse me but why in heavens name would I want a radio on my iPod, when the whole reason for not listening to radio is that it sucks big time. A fm/dab radio is a step backwards not forwards in my book. Also it’s a very expensive way of listening to radio, when you can get a mini fm radio for under $10.

Posted by glad on October 5, 2004 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

“why in heavens name would I want a radio on my iPod, when the whole reason for not listening to radio is that it sucks”

One word: NPR.

Posted by rpn on October 5, 2004 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

This job ad concerns radio as used in WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. Several people have already pointed this out.

No encryption goes on with AM/FM/DAB, and to my knowledge they don’t use any form of compression either.

Why does everyone keep on going on about AM, FM, and DAB (oh and HD - is that US for DAB or something?)?

Let me repeat - this is NOT about putting a radio on the iPod!

Posted by andy on October 6, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

about darn time! the one killer feature missing from iPod, a feature that shouldn’t increase the size at all… FM radio. how this has been left out this long is amazing.

Posted by Dave on October 10, 2004 at 4:55 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >