Future Sonics Ears model EM3 for $99 | iLounge News

Future Sonics Ears model EM3 for $99

Future Sonics has announced the Live Listening, Listening Live Summer pricing promotion and is offering its Future Sonics model EM3 earphones for $99, regularly $159. No special coupons or order codes, prices are effective when ordering. Offer expires September 30, 2004.

« Triple Crown Contest winners announced

Mac/Windows: iPod Bible 1.0 released »

Comments

These will go great with my support hose and dentures.  Now I just wish my iPod looked more like a pacemaker.

Posted by Senor Citizen on August 5, 2004 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

Yuck! They look like a demented organ.

Posted by Squibbles on August 5, 2004 at 6:05 PM (CDT)

I’d rather get the ultimate ears ones, but those also cost about five times as much…

Posted by Gendo on August 6, 2004 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

Looks like I’ll have to get a tan in order for them to matchg my skin tone. Can you say, “Fugly”?

Posted by starflyer in Madison, WI on August 6, 2004 at 9:02 AM (CDT)

does anybody know if these sound any good?

Posted by todd2fs4u on August 6, 2004 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

They sound great, they look horrible. Pass.

Posted by shibuya on August 6, 2004 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

Problem: they only work well when not walking or running, as the sound of your body is tranferred through your body into the speakers. It’s the same effect as walking across the room with your fingers stuck in your ears. But fine for sitting and listieng.

Posted by djr on August 8, 2004 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

I have them. They look like crap… no doubt. But they sound amazing. Thunderous pumping bass… so much I need to use treble booster at times. Practically noise cancelling but not really. Yes, the sound travels through the wire (they ARE in-ear monitors designed for musicians) but as I use them walking, sitting and riding the subway they suit me perfectly.

Posted by axis on August 8, 2004 at 7:07 PM (CDT)

I’m sure they sound as bad as they look

Posted by evil on August 8, 2004 at 8:22 PM (CDT)

They look really flimsy, I’d rather get some Shure E2’s or splurge and get the E3’s

Posted by eric on August 9, 2004 at 7:27 AM (CDT)

Hehehehe, typical iMoron reactions. Who cares how does it look, it’s flesh toned as monitors for musicians on the stage, retards. Anyway you’ve bought your iPod because the look as well. Never mind it’ has crap sound, but it’s so cute! LOL

Posted by Sebhelyesfarku on August 9, 2004 at 8:21 AM (CDT)

Believe what you want… but read the reviews, do the research before you spout uninformed knee-jerk opinions. I did the research and decided to get them and as I said before… they rock. Hard. I have tried shures and the bass response is better with the futuresonics in my opinion. I work for CNET so technology is around me at all times. These ugly little flesh colored headphones sound killer and are worth every penny of the 99 dollar sale price. Pass on them if you want but if you are looking for amazing sound far better than any earplugs out there, then you are making a mistake.

Posted by axis on August 9, 2004 at 8:45 AM (CDT)

Do the research. Here is one of a bunch of reviews out there… http://www.engadget.com/entry/7313188118797387/

Posted by axis on August 9, 2004 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

I heard aobut them on Your Mac Life, got them after they said that they were amazing sound in an ugly package, and listened to them side to side against the Sure and Etimotics and the Futuresonics win hands down for sound. They sound more “real” than anything I’ve heard and the others were way more money. I like that Futuresonics is apple friendly, too.

Posted by 3g on August 9, 2004 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

Who CARES what they look like?!! I’m interested in music, not fashion accessories.

I’ve heard nothing but great things about the EM3s, so I ordered a pair yesterday. I own several pairs of headphones, including Etymotics and Grados. I love the Grado’s, but they’re for sitting and aren’t real comfortable, I want something for the gym; the Etymotic ER-6s sound good with the solid tips, but lack bass with the foam tips. I don’t like using the solid tips because they seal the ear 100% airtight—tugs and pulls are translated directly to the eardrum. Also sinus changes, etc. Don’t like the sensation. Hopefully, the foam-tipped EM3s will solve my bass problem.

btw As far as budget portable phones go, Koss Portapro and Sportapro are great buys for the money.

Posted by JoeS in Austin on August 9, 2004 at 11:42 PM (CDT)

Some review excerpts (some may have heard of the second guy):

“The best sounding iPod earphones ever…they sound fantastic.”
- Noah Kravitz/Powerbook Central

“The best feeling and best quality [earphones] that I’ve ever used.”
– Steve Wozniak/Wheels of Zeus

“Truly astonishing… [they] emerge as a favorite.”
- Leander Kahney/Wired Magazine

“With superior, crisp, clear sound, a remarkably realistic bass response and ear buds that actually fit, this is a winning combination that should make the discerning audiophile in all iPod users rejoice.”
—Gail Murphy/iPodLounge.com

“Quite simply the best sounding earphones I have heard, bar none.”
– Jason O’Grady/Powerpage

“Ugliest looking and best sounding earphones available. I hear things that I never knew were in the music before - these things are amazing!”
– Shawn King/“Your Mac Life”

“You can hear every part of the audio spectrum…”
- Frank Petrie/Macsimum Perspective

“a deep and intense quality listening experience…you’ll be stunned by the overall clarity.”
- Martin Regtien/Pocket PC Reviews

Posted by JoeS in Austin on August 9, 2004 at 11:56 PM (CDT)

I wish they made them in ipod white - as I am an albino and a performing artist and want headphones that match my pigment free ears.

Posted by ape on August 12, 2004 at 8:50 AM (CDT)

My EM3’s arrived today and I’m listening to them as I type this. Wow! Amazing presence and soundstage. Great bass, powerful but perfectly controlled. I’m listening to Moondance by Van Morrison right now with a big grin on my face. Horns, bass, flute, voice, and percussion, all sound distinct and separate; zero blurring or muddiness.

White Room from Cream was on a couple of minutes ago. Excellent. Muscular and dynamic. Frente, acoustic guitar and female voice; beautiful. Getz/Gilberto, you gotta sway. Chills down the spine.

In short, the best $100 I ever spent. I can’t imagine more bang for the audio buck. These blow my Etymotic ER-6’s away. No contest.

I have *finally* found my portable headphones. Hallelujah!!
Ugly, hell. These things are beautiful.

Posted by JoeS in Austin on August 13, 2004 at 6:30 PM (CDT)

I have zero need for these in iPod white. In fact, when I go out I don’t use my white iPod headphones for concern they will attract too much attention from thieves.

I just bought a set of EM3s for $99 from futuresonics.com. I can’t wait until they arrive.

I was disappointed by the shipping cost though—it almost kept me from ordering. It cost $12.85 for UPS Ground.

Posted by motie in Earf on September 26, 2004 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

Folks, these may be ugly—but they are truly the best earphones out there!  I’m totally baffled by rave reviews for other high-end phones like Etymotic, which are lame and base-less.  These have incredible yet natural sounding base (adjust the EQ setting to “Electronic” for best balance.

PS:  As for the Shure’s… they sound okay, but putting them on properly is such a hassle… who needs it.

Posted by wesvil on March 3, 2005 at 10:36 AM (CST)