Gameloft shifts away from freemium, releases full versions
Gameloft has returned to its traditional lite/full pricing structure for its recent games following a try at releasing them using a more contemporary ‘freemium’ model. Both Sacred Odyssey and Starfront: Collision were released by Gameloft earlier this year as free limited versions for users to download and try which could then be upgraded to the full version using an in-app purchase (IAP) instead of downloading a separate app. Negative comments in the App Store revealed that many customers did not respond positively to this model, with criticisms ranging from users mistakenly believing that they would need to repurchase the game every time they reinstalled it to others feeling the game was far too large for a trial version. Gameloft’s UK marketing manager, Callum Rowley indicated to PocketGamer that the company had received feedback from “many players who did not feel comfortable with the new free model with in-app purchases” and as a result the company decided to release “the classical, full versions that players are used to buying.” Rowley noted that the freemium IAP versions will remain on the App Store to provide users with a choice of whichever “purchasing experience” they prefer. The full version of Starfront: Collision is available now on the App Store for $7. The full version is identical to the freemium version with the in-app purchase, which remains available on the App Store. A full version of Sacred Odyssey is also expected soon.
- Halo: Spartan Bundle, Cut!, Sago Mini Toolbox, Chrome, System Monitor + Tumblr
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Implosion, Last Voyage, Glass, Instagram + Snapseed
- After School app returns to App Store with new safety features
- Report: Apple acquisition used for App Store ‘Explore’ tab
- Apple Maps adds Booking.com and Trip Advisor reviews
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?