“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition | iLounge News

“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition

iPod user Michael Barca has started a “Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition. Gapless playback has been heavily discussed within our own forums and Michael hopes that Apple will take notice. Gapless playback is the playback of long songs or DJ mixes in a continuous stream without audible gaps.

“We, the undersigned, are requesting that gapless playback be integrated into the iPod via a firmware upgrade in the near future.

We want to show you, Apple, that there exists a large amount of iPod owners and possible future iPod owners, who desperately want this to be supported in iPod.

Perhaps you don’t realize how important this is to iPod owners, but by this petition we hope to show you how essential this feature is to any digital audio player.”

« Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for 4G iPods

iTunes Japan delayed by ‘inadequate DRM’ »

Comments

well, it’s got to be better than suffering in silence.

Posted by mvague on September 13, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

i need it for dark side of the moon. the seamlessness of the cd is perfect, but on the ipod there is a slight pause

Posted by erik on September 16, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

anyone know how this gapless plugin works for winamp and why something like this won’t work for the ipod?

it’s only 64kb and it came out in 2002!

Posted by hopeless on September 16, 2004 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

it’s only 64kb and it came out in 2002!

Posted by hopeless on September 16, 2004 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

Not an iPod owner and I won’t be until there is gapless output. I listen to almost exclusively electronic music and frankly, seemless sets are almost the whole point of it. For years I had to tolerate the little gap between the tracks in Winamp, until I found a plugin called MP3-splice found at [url=http://www.pyramidedata.dk]http://www.pyramidedata.dk[/url] This plays all my ripped CDs EXACTLY as they sound in the cd player.

If someone can do this with winamp, it can be done with an iPod…Apple won’t do it, but maybe some genius coder will…

Posted by Allen on September 16, 2004 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

I have a 40gig 3G iPod and this about the only thing wrong with it. This is an affront to anyone who loves music or who has fully functional ears. Wake up Apple, this is just poor design….

Posted by Jeremy Leverton on October 2, 2004 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

I totally agree about gapless output, I am not buying an iPod until this feature is included.  Unfortunately AAC and MP3 files both are not the exact length as on the CD so gaps are introduced although foobar has found a way to read the lame header to determine the exact length and thus AAC should also include a method to do this.  As far as loseless files are concerned, they SHOULD BE GAPLESS period !  I have just tried iTunes and found that they aren’t gapless with approximately 1 sec of silence in between apple loseless and wav files.  This is just not acceptable, I listen to punk rock and many CDs have joined tracks.  I intend to encode in a loseless format and thus I certainly expect gapless output.  Hurry up Apple !!  or I might be goin for the iRiver soon

Posted by Frank on October 7, 2004 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

Sorry, Apple, but until you make a player for the more demanding audio listener, I’ll have to consider better options like the Karma, iRiver, and iAudio M3/5

Posted by mach_e on October 11, 2004 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

how can you guys say that mp3s can’t handle gapless.

many, many other mp3 players can play gaplessly. it’s not that difficult.

why hasn’t apple hopped on the train with this feature yet?

it’s simpler than trying to figure out how they’d do it. they’re competent. CAN is not the issue, because obviously many other mp3 players (notably the rio karma) can already do this.

the real question is: WHEN will ipods be able to?

Posted by mctriple on October 11, 2004 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

My old nomad jukebox could play mp3’s together with no gap at all. winamp can do it. why is it so hard to make the ipod “buffer” the first few seconds of the next track, so that it starts playing immediately after the current track?  I don’t see why this is such a complicated problem for apple, or for that matter, any geek that can figure out how to program firmware.  Seriously, if someone will take the time to do it, i’ll paypal them $10.  Multiply that by several thousand, and you see what i’m saying

Posted by john on October 12, 2004 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Gapless playback is absolutely required for many albums.  One notable case I have recently discovered:  Pink Floyd’s The Wall.  The gaps ruin the listening experience.  One song is meant to flow directly into the next.

Posted by frit on October 14, 2004 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

yeah pretty much all pink floyd albums, tool, etc.  I am definately not going to purchase another Ipod unless something is done. this is rediculous.

Posted by john on October 23, 2004 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

I was so stupid!!!! Never owned an iPod before, but decided to make the break because they looked so good. Didn’t realise that they can’t play mix CDs continiously.

Most of my music is mixed CDs, my £50 MP3 player doesn’t have a problem, but my £450 iPod can’t deal with them?!?

I’m gutted.

:-(

Posted by orm on November 22, 2004 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

See the following which goes into the problem pretty deeply

Posted by richard loeb on November 26, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Hmm, very cute of people who don’t listen to mix cd’s to berate those who do for something which is seriously frustrating when listening to such compilations.
If I had known that the ipod didn’t do gapless playback I wouldn’t have bought it.  Simple as that.
Plus lack of simple eq controls.  Shocking really.

Posted by crontab on March 24, 2005 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

I bought my G4 20GB iPod yesterday. I mainly will use it in my car to replace all my burned CD’s and got a special cable to connect it to my car readio/CD changer.

I’ve also tried to see if this gap was due to wrong compression or ripping, but also a split mp3 gives a small gap, while it is seamless in winamp or other mp3 players.
I know that when i burn a mixed CD in for instance Nero with a 0 second pause, there are still gaps in between the songs, even on CD. So i did not expect this to disappear all. When i burned a one file mixed MP3 with Cue these gaps where gone, so the idea of some Cue support in combination with a one file MP3 would be a great upgrade.

Posted by mvanschie on April 9, 2005 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

This is the one thing keeping me from buying an ipod ... i love music, and seamless mixed DJ compilations are an essential part of my selection. If I’m going to hook the ipod up through my stereo to play music at home, i definitely not do not want any kind of interruption between tracks. when (if) apple can sort it out I’ll gor for an ipod. seems like a serious flaw to me, esp given the diversity of DJ mixes out there. in the world of electronic music, the mixing between tracks is where the art of DJing comes into play. i’ll wait and see what happens, and keep my CDs going smile

Posted by jayhasnopod on May 4, 2005 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

This is an inherent problem with MP3s that has been solved by the LAME header.  Gapless playback with LAME encoded .MP3s works on the Rio Karma.  It doesn’t take any more “signal processing” than the iPod does as it is and there’s no reason why it can’t work on the iPod other than Apple trying to push AAC and trying to kill LAME, which is much better than the iTunes encoder anyways.

Posted by AsbestosHair on September 4, 2005 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

Apple won’t do it becuase it would involve FW upgrade that could potentially damage your Ipod if done incorrectly which will give Apple bad publicity. That weighed against the fact that those who want this feature (myself) are an extreme minority of users.  99% of Ipod owners I would say are barely computer PC/MAC literate and are happily satisfied with just having 1000s of free/downloded/bootlegged/pirated songs, unsorted, untagged, or categorized in a convenient small portable divice.  Ask 10 random Ipod owners you see in the street,  “What format and bitrate do you encode your .wav files too?” and see the look of pure cluelessness.  This is why Apple wont do it without a Petition or pressure from a competitor.

Posted by Mark on January 5, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I often listen to live recorded albums on my 40GB and feel Soooooo Very Sad when the tracks that are ment to flow into each other has a stupid gap when played out on the iPod (not iTunes).
The crossfade feature als does not seem to work on the iPod even after re-Syncing.

Posted by Cobus Beukes on July 22, 2007 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

Page 6 of 6 pages « First  <  4 5 6