“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition | iLounge News

“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition

iPod user Michael Barca has started a “Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition. Gapless playback has been heavily discussed within our own forums and Michael hopes that Apple will take notice. Gapless playback is the playback of long songs or DJ mixes in a continuous stream without audible gaps.

“We, the undersigned, are requesting that gapless playback be integrated into the iPod via a firmware upgrade in the near future.

We want to show you, Apple, that there exists a large amount of iPod owners and possible future iPod owners, who desperately want this to be supported in iPod.

Perhaps you don’t realize how important this is to iPod owners, but by this petition we hope to show you how essential this feature is to any digital audio player.”

« Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for 4G iPods

iTunes Japan delayed by ‘inadequate DRM’ »

Comments

Is gapless playback important> Well, I have over 100 continuous DJ mixes on my iPod, and 100’s of them on my hard drive. As a lot of electronic music lovers would agree, continuous mixes are very much a huge part of our music collection.

As most of us know, MP3 and AAC cannot support true gapless playback. Crossfading doesn’t really work well with continuous DJ mixes. I have made a habit of ripping all my mix CDs to combined large MP3s. I actually got used to it. It makes loading my iPod even easier cuz each CD is just a single MP3.

I’d have like chapter marks, as I already use cuesheets (with MP3cue on Winamp) for years. It’d be ideal if iTunes/iPod can import CUE files as chapter marks. As some users mentioned, chapter marks are very important for audiobooks too.

Ideally, the world will move to a compression format that support sample-accurate seeking and start/end like Ogg Vorbis, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

Posted by goofrider on September 9, 2004 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Gapless playback in iPod is also an essential feature if Apple ever want to sell continuous CD mix CDs on iTunes Music Store.

Posted by goofrider on September 9, 2004 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

“These are the limitations of iPod/iTunes that I think need to be seriously addressed.”

Of all the requests for features/improvement that Apple receives regarding the iPod and iTunes, how high on the list do you think this particular request sits?  Could their lack of inclusion be an indication that most people just don’t care?

When EVERYBODY complained about the lack of “Tabbed Browsing” in Safari, Apple listened and in a subsequent release of the browser tabs had been implemented.

Posted by The Raven in USA on September 9, 2004 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

“if rockbox can do it with an archos recorder, apple can do it with the AMAZINGLY ADVANCED iPod. no?”

You know this is a good point. The Archos chipset has less CPU power than found in most vacuum cleaners these days. The biggest market for the CPu chip in the Archos used to be washing machines for god’s sake. The iPod’s available CPU resources, by comparison, are probably 5-10 times more than the Archos.

If a bunch of eager teenage hackers from Norway could retroactively hack gapless playback onto the Archos, then I am sure a couple of professional programmers from Apple or PortalPlayer could rig up something within a couple of months.

If Apple really cared about doing it, that is. And not spending their programmer resources closing off the iPod and figuring out how to stop Real and Hymn from letting people manage their iPods and add more format support.

Posted by how difficult? on September 9, 2004 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

i don’t get why there isn’t support for bookmarking or “cue sheet.”

it’s obvious this feature is possible on the ipod since audible books are bookmarkable.

I have close to a hundred dj mixes on cd but I don’t even bother listening to them on my ipod because it’s a huge pain in the butt.

I really really wish the ipod would use cue sheets. God knows this feature would be a hell of a lot more useful than “shuffle.”

I’m not for gapless playback but if they could do this and make more people happy than why not… but cue sheets first please!!!

Posted by travis on September 9, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

Apple builds great functionality into the iPod but they’ve become very lax about improving the experience for current owners as opposed to new purchasers. My personal dead horse is the on-the-go playlist that debuted with the 3rd gen models only months after I and many others got our 2nd gen models. Apple was quick to update our iPods to handle iTMS and Audible files, but they never got around to the on-the-go playlist, nor, of course, did they ever give any indication of their intentions. If they ever get around to gapless playback or cuesheets (and I certainly hope they do) it’s likely to be for future models only. I truly wish this was not the case, but these days the out-of-the-box experience is probably all we’re going to get. It’s still better than the competition in a lot of ways that are important to me, but it would be so easy for Apple to be the best in other ways too. <sigh>

Posted by Songdog on September 9, 2004 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

well.. when they shortened the gap(enhanced playback) they gave that to the older ipods as well.. and when they added new format(alac format) to all but the 1st gs….

if they added a new format, or enhanced playback, they might add it to older ipods.. they probably wont, but we can still hope

even so.. this would be a feature that to me, would be worth buying a new ipod for

and songdog, dont worry about the on the go playlist.. it kinda sucked(they need to make alot better playlist editing for that to become worth anything at all, though its better now that you can actually remove files from it)

Posted by re on September 9, 2004 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

I don’t see why making gapless playback would make iPod better musically. My point is, perhaps, that I have never longed for such a feature partly because I’ve never heard an automatic crossfader that would fade the songs well. If you want nice crossfade, you gotta do it yourself and not assume that a software could do it for you.

Posted by jussi on September 9, 2004 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

I thought that I was the only one wishing for a gapless feature in my iPod, but I guess not.  I’m glad that others are desperately wishing for this as well, and I do hope that Apple takes notice. There are some “live” CD’s that have no gap, especially when the audience applauds - you don’t want to hear a gap. You want the experience to be seamless.

Posted by Ozzie C. on September 9, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

jussi, theres a difference between gapless and crossfade.. i hate crossfade, but love gapless

crossfade is when it literally fades out an in of each song, gapless just takes out that annoying little skip between song changing

if they did add crossfade, i hope it would be an option.. and if gapless took back on something(battery, or whatever) i would hope it would be an option as well

Posted by re on September 9, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

no, gapless is not THAT important, but it is a nice feature to have in a MUSIC player. i’d rather have gapless/crossfading and other music related features rather than contacts/calander/games. i just hope apple will include more music-related features, rather than another game.

unfortunately, it seems Adam may be right. I don’t see any sign that apple plans to include gapless ever. seems like picture viewer and etc. will come first

Posted by h on September 9, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Damn you need Paypal or a credit card. Does anyone in the UK sell these? Do they have an UK resellers?

Posted by smirf83 on September 9, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

iPod os a fashion item, so this petition is pointless.

Posted by Sebhelyesfarku on September 9, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

the big deal about making it gapless comes from live shows for me. I love the Clash and make a habit of having whatever live stuff I can find. Sadly since Joe’s passing the closest thing to the actual experience are MP3s. The gap ruins the immersion.

I mean if you don’t think the petition is a good idea ignore it, its that simple. I mean you are only adding attention to it which is exactly what we (the ones who want gapless) want.

Posted by Andy on September 9, 2004 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

yeah, but steve himself said ‘its about the music, stupid’(which someone already quoted here)

so why would PICTURE and VIDEO come before improving how the music is played?

Posted by re on September 9, 2004 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

Dare I say it? WMV files play back with no gaps….. oh god i feel so dirty….

Posted by fatboyslim on September 9, 2004 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

RE: The Raven

“how high on the list do you think this particular request sits?”

Is it just me, or are there a large amount of posts in this forum? I think that makes this particular request pretty high on the list.

I think it also sucks that I can’t read the title or artist of each and every song included in a continuous mix MP3! Anybody who thinks that this is not a big deal needs to reconsider, especially if you are a DJ.

And those people who think it’s not a big deal to use the the wheel obviously don’t have 6-7 hour long mixed sets like I do.

Posted by Stylescraper on September 9, 2004 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

The lack of access to the names and artists in a continuous mix is completely lame!

It’s like reading a book in which all of the main characters are named Joe!

Or in this case, Joe’s Mix!

Posted by Styescraper on September 9, 2004 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

i’ve listened to long pieces - the firesign theater, beethoven concertos, sun ra, ella fitzgerald, john cage - all without gaps. perhaps the problem is not itunes and the ipod, but the music industry, the artist, and the whole concept of “song.”

Posted by 4'33" ... on September 9, 2004 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

Any takers on a bet that Apple will make this feature available on the next Gen’s (5th) firmware update?! Something of course the 1st - 4th Gen’s won’t get.

Posted by dede on September 9, 2004 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 6 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 6 >