“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition | iLounge News

“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 8, 2004
News Categories: Apple

iPod user Michael Barca has started a “Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition. Gapless playback has been heavily discussed within our own forums and Michael hopes that Apple will take notice. Gapless playback is the playback of long songs or DJ mixes in a continuous stream without audible gaps.

“We, the undersigned, are requesting that gapless playback be integrated into the iPod via a firmware upgrade in the near future.

We want to show you, Apple, that there exists a large amount of iPod owners and possible future iPod owners, who desperately want this to be supported in iPod.

Perhaps you don’t realize how important this is to iPod owners, but by this petition we hope to show you how essential this feature is to any digital audio player.”

« Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for 4G iPods

iTunes Japan delayed by ‘inadequate DRM’ »

Comments

whine whine whine is all I’m hearing.

if you really want ‘perfect’ products, etc BUY THE DAMN PRODUCT, dump the iPod, pick up the arcos, pick up the whatever you say is better and go away, pretty simple isnt it ?

if not, WHY are you still using the iPod anyway if it ‘sucks’ ?

Posted by ipoduser on September 9, 2004 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

there is nothing worse than listening to side 2 of Abbey Road with GAPS OF SILENCE BETWEEN THE SONGS!!!  They really need to fix this bug now.

Posted by hibiscusroto on September 9, 2004 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

ipoduser… this is a forum to discuss ideas and desires for a better listening experience… it’s not WHINING.

plus, most of the people responding to this thread are ipod users as well, and not looking for another product, just a solution to this gap problem, which to some of us listeners is a big deal.

look at hibiscusroto’s comment above for the perfect example of WHY.

Posted by mvague on September 10, 2004 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

First of all, this is a feature that many other devices have.

Second, Many purchased the ipod, being told that it was the BEST player, yet it lacks on so many levels.  I have a Gen2, so this is the 3rd time ive seen a petition go around like this.  Every single time an ipod comes out, there is an outcry for some standard, and simple functions, few of which apple even comes close to providing.

Its getting to the point where my 2g ipod does not lack any reasonable feature, so why should i upgrade? (with the exception of OTG pl of course)

If/when my ipod ever dies, i will be more likely to just use my laptop to play music with headphones out of my backpack, as i carry both for school anyway.

Posted by KeaneE04 on September 10, 2004 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

BTW, sorry, when i posted, i missed the entire 2nd page!  also, as far as i know, in 3 petitions on this subject, apple has done nothing, so good luck on this one!

Posted by KeaneE04 on September 10, 2004 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

“if you really want ‘perfect’ products, etc BUY THE DAMN PRODUCT, dump the iPod”

No product is ever perfect, either on release, or after. But good products can be improved, and lousy products can be made less lousy.

The iPod is not perfect, but it has the potential to get better. WHy would you not want Apple to react to market pressue, both in pre-sales and after-sales, in order to make a better iPod?

Posted by alchemy on September 10, 2004 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

People shouldn’t be using iPods as DJ equipment at clubs and parties.

It’s a personal music device, accept it’s limitations.

The thing is the size of a deck of cards and holds 10,000 songs. It’s already a miracle the thing works as well as it does.

Posted by Dave Chappelle on September 10, 2004 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

Gapless playback does not work on 4G iPods.

Posted by Body Fascist on September 10, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

to dave:

gapless playback has nothing to do with whether or not the ipod should be used as dj equipment.

regardless though… if you can make the ipod work with your turntables than there is no reason you shouldn’t be using it to dj with. it’s about the music… not your equipment. if the music is good and people are dancing then who cares if it’s vinyl, cd or mp3. if your a dj who can pull off an ipod then go for it…

Posted by travis on September 10, 2004 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

I’m a vinyl DJ who converts his mixes to MP3 as a backup in case a gig is going horribly wrong. (i.e. existing equipment compatibility, record needle compatibility, poor dampeners which make records and cd’s skip because of vibration…etc.) I do MP3 mixes on CD-R all of the time as a backup. If apple provided gapless recording, It would save me the trouble of having to burn MP3 CD-R mixes.

And for the record (no pun intended) I own (qty. 2) 3g 40G models and (1) 4G 40G.

I’ve spent over $1400 on Apple iPOD. I have an opinion, and I see no reason why I should not voice it! All of you people who think I am whining should spend what I spend supporting Apple products!

Posted by Stylescraper on September 10, 2004 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

You have all the right to ask Apple to improve the iPod, but just don’t bash the company if they can’t satisfy your special needs.

Voice your concerns all you can, but accept that this was an early mistake/compromise from Apple and PortalPlayer, and that adding it now would require a major redesign of the iPod’s software and hardware.

I don’t think that it’s only a matter of a simple hack (maybe it was for some other players but not the iPod). If adding gapless playback was so easy to add, why wouldn’t Apple add it? I’m sure some here could make up twisted stories about Steve Jobs linking Gap(s) (pun intended). But really what kind of greedy/stupid reasons Apple would have not to improve the iPod if it’s only a simple hack?

Though I think that everyone (including me) could benefit from gapless playback, most people don’t mind not having it and it’s definately not a make-or-break feature for the great majority of potential iPod buyers, and that’s sadly how the market works for just about every company.

Posted by Zippy on September 10, 2004 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

Gapless playback may not be important to most people, but for classical music and opera listeners, it’s very important. I know several classical music enthusiasts who have delayed getting an iPod or purchased competing products solely because of this missing feature.

Generally an opera will have as much as two hours of uninterrupted music. Opera CDs are generally tracked to the important arias, with new tracks every few minutes. If you rip the whole act as one big chunk, you get gapless playback, but your iPod’s battery goes dead fast. If you let the track breaks on the CD carry across, every few minutes there’s an annoying skip in the music.

There are several improvements Apple could make to the iPod and iTunes store to make them more classical-friendly. How would you break up the following information into tags the way they exist now?

Richard Wagner (composer)
The Ring of the Niebelungen (tetrology)
Die Walkure (opera title)
Act 1 / Scene 3 (location in opera)
Sieglinde: Die Manner Sippe (Character / aria)
Bruno Walter (conductor)
Vienna Philharmonic (orchestra)
1934 (recording date)

The pop music skewed structure of the tags makes internet tag databases completely disorganized. I spend hours reformatting tags on classical pieces every time I rip a batch.

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on September 10, 2004 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

I listen pretty much exclusively to live music in which bands do gapless segues between songs.

The ipod is not made to accomodate me. Even “crossfade” is unacceptable for this type of music.

I’m sure if you only listen to 4 minture bursts of pop it’s not as much of a big deal, but us live music lovers are dying for gapless playback.

Posted by aoxomoxoa on September 10, 2004 at 10:08 PM (PDT)

Adam, I hope you are wrong, but i guess we’ll see—in time.  I have been sending Apple feedback about this with a link to the current amount of signatures for the past 2 weeks at least once a day.

I want to thank everyone who has signed it for taking the time to do so, and especially iPodLounge for posting this on the main site for everyone to see.

We need more signatures though.  So if anyone would be so kind as to post it in any forum i may have missed, that would be great, or get it out any other way you can.  Here’s a list of the forums i have posted this in:

iPodlounge.com
MacOSXHints.com
MacOSX.com
[url=http://www.funmac.com]http://www.funmac.com[/url]
[url=http://www.spymac.com]http://www.spymac.com[/url]
[url=http://www.ipodhacks.com]http://www.ipodhacks.com[/url]

Thanks again everyone!

Posted by Michael Barca on September 11, 2004 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

Yeah i agree this should be sorted out as it sucks

Posted by kris on September 12, 2004 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

Why is Gapless so important? The main argument seems to be that you want to have gapless playback of a whole album, but still want to be able to jump to one song within the album.

Isn’t the whole point of gapless playback to be able to “listen to the music as it was meant to be experienced” or some tripe? Skipping around within the album wasn’t how it was meant to be experienced either, therefore the “rip as one huge track” option sounds pretty reasonable to me. I’ve had a player with gapless playback and have never really noticed where it’s important.

Posted by BitBucket on September 13, 2004 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

[rip as one huge track” option sounds pretty reasonable to me. ]

For listening, YES, for categorizing, NO!

Sounds like your mixes mainly consist of one artist, but for multiple artists this option is insufficient!

Wouldn’t you like to know which track you are listening to 35 minutes into your mix?

iTunes also recognizes your mix as (1) song which makes the song count inaccurate!

Definitely an oversight which needs to be corrected!

Posted by Stylescraper on September 13, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

again, I concer with stylescraper…

Posted by mvague on September 13, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

Another vote for gapless playback. I don’t care about crossfading (which often chops off songs), but gapless playback is needed. What I’d really like is the option to set tracks gapless in iTunes, and have that setting transfered to the iPod. If two gapless-marked tracks are in a row, then gapless playback is used between them. I want gapless playback for playing tracks (individual) recorded (via iNet Stream Archiver) from tagged internet streams and for live CDs that don’t have breaks on the CD. Both have awkward pauses currently when played on the iPod (even iTunes’ crossfading set to 0 does NOT result in true gapless playback. Glitches are sometimes more noticable then other times.) Even my Palm Zire72 can do excellent gapless playback with Aeroplayer 5.0. iTunes and the iPod should be able to do it too.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on September 13, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

This is likely to bear as much fruit as that petition I signed in junior high demanding the cafeteria serve better food.

Posted by Ape on September 13, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Page 5 of 6 pages « First  <  3 4 5 6 >