Gartner: New iPods could cause NAND flash shortage | iLounge News

Gartner: New iPods could cause NAND flash shortage

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, June 21, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Strong sales of new iPods could cause a shortage of NAND flash memory in the second half of this year, according to a new report by Gartner. The market research firm expects Apple to introduce a new, high-end flash-based iPod with 10GB to 12GB of storage capacity and a price of about $250. Gartner said such an iPod, which it expects by the fourth quarter of this year, would contribute to the shortage. “The impact of an iPod with this storage capacity will have significant implications for the NAND flash market,” said Jon Erensen, an analyst at Gartner. “If a high-capacity NAND-based iPod is introduced, the severity of the allocation will intensify during the fourth quarter of this year, and our outlook of supply and demand for the first quarter of 2007 could become more severe than initially anticipated.”

« TiVo Desktop update brings iPod video support

BusinessWeek: Don’t expect movies on iTunes ‘any time soon’ »

Comments

I hope that is 10GB to 12GB Nano.

Posted by GUTIERREZ on June 21, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

omg that would make my dreams come true!!!

Posted by money on June 21, 2006 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

Hmm, if that would make your dreams come true you need serious attention!

Posted by Peter Harding on June 21, 2006 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

A 10GB nano for $250?  Holy Schnikes!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 21, 2006 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

If Apple can get their flash mem at these sorts of prices, then does that mean everyone else will as well? I’ve been looking at prices for a fast, hi-cap CF card for my Nikon DSLR, and right now they’re absolutely criminal. $350 (and up) for a Lexar 8GB CF module is outlandish considering that 4GB flash jump drives are comfortably under $100 nowadays, and especially if Apple or anyone else is able to secure flash memory of similar capacity for their own products (that end up costing far less to the consumer).

As for a hi-cap nano: more storage is great and all that, but I’d like a better resolution, less jumpy click wheel to go with that as well. And better finish materials while you’re at it, Apple. Mummifying (via clear film body wrap) my black 4GB unit was not one of the more enjoyable tasks I’ve ever done, and besides, it was damn near impossible to make the end result look anything better than halfway decent.

Posted by flatline response on June 21, 2006 at 11:54 PM (PDT)

I think these analysts, as usual, are talking out of their bunghole.

If Apple bumps the nano from 4GB tops to 10-12GB at the same price points, not only will they have figured out how to get NAND memory at a small fraction of current market value, they will also somehow be idiotic morons.

What made the nano “earth shaking” was the 4GB capacity for $250. And a year later, it’s still relatively untouched with most flash players still topping out at 2GB but not being appreciably less expensive than the nano. I see a 8GB tops because going all out for a 10 or 12 GB capacity at $250 would do nothing but kill their profit margins while doing nothing to efficiently maintain a market lead.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 22, 2006 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

I have been waiting FOREVER for an 8GB+ Nano.  I know it’s just a matter of time, and I’d be willing to pay $300+ for one.  It’s all I need.  I don’t really see a 12GB, although I believe Apple should fill in the gap between its 4GB and 30GB iPods.

Posted by Sean on June 22, 2006 at 5:42 AM (PDT)

‘flatline response’ nailed it right on the head….Apple needs to improve upon the jumpiness of the nano before focusing on higher capacities.  It’s a shame that all Nanos need plastic screen protectors as well.  And finally, a new point…..does anybody else agree that the nano could be more ergonomically pleasing if it were just a tad thicker?  I have a nano and mini and I always find myself using the mini unless I’m going to a wedding or something and have to share some photos.  Oh, and I’ll be the first in line to spend another $250 on a new nano—-can’t wait for those new colors that have been speculated—-I’ll take a green one!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on June 22, 2006 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

You can get a 4GB flash Sandisk Sansa e260 for $150 with rebates (direct competitor to Nano).

The pricing for flash has already dropped—look at USB thumbdrive pricing.

Apple needs to introduce higher capacity flash iPods to maintain its lead position and prevent other companies from slowly eroding their market share. Especially if their new video iPod is delayed due to quality problems & content licensing issues!

Posted by LookAtTheMarket on June 22, 2006 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

Andrew, if that’s your opinion (it’s not mine) then why not put it in a hard plastic or silicone case? A silicone covered clickwheel would make it less jumpy, you wouldn’t need to put any films on your nano, and it would be thicker, basically solving all of your problems.

Posted by catboy17 on June 22, 2006 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

good call catboy 17!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on June 23, 2006 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

i think that adding more memory is a good idea, but they are going to need to add other features to get current nano owners to upgrade

Posted by me on June 26, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)