Geneva iPod speaker systems now shipping | iLounge News

Geneva iPod speaker systems now shipping

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Geneva Labs has announced that it is now shipping its first two Geneva Sound System models. Available in red, white or black, the Geneva Model L (100 watts) and Model XL (600 watts) feature a dedicated iPod dock, built-in CD player, FM radio, and audio inputs. In an update to the models announced late last year, the systems now come with color-coordinated remotes. The Geneva Model L sells for $600 and the Model XL is priced at $1075. Optional stands for both models are priced at $100.

“The Geneva Lab Corporation is the first and still the only company to give the iPod generation the rich sound and full capabilities of traditional multi-component stereo while advancing simple usability in strong visual design,” says the company. “Geneva Lab encloses two speakers in one piano-lacquered wooden cabinet with the patented EmbracingSound technology used in Hollywood and endorsed by great Grammy winning record producers like David Foster and top Oscar winning sound designers like Per Hallberg (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Braveheart).”

« Apple offers Lost, Desperate Housewives Season Passes

Mix: Avie Tevanian, New shows, Cardboard case, Jobs taxes »

Comments

At those prices the stand should be included and not optional.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on March 28, 2006 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Finally somthing uglier than the iPod HiFi!

Posted by JeremytheIndian on March 28, 2006 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Here we go again, knocking something down before even listening to it…oh well

Posted by Oliver on March 28, 2006 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

I like these speaker systems more than the apple hifi. They come with lots more power and probably better sound reprodution, a Cd-player and radio. Making the system very usable if you decide to sell your ipod and buy a creative or something.

Posted by Hassan.L on March 28, 2006 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

Very mid-century mod looking.  I like ‘em.

Posted by The Raven on March 28, 2006 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

I really like the look of it. And it seems to sound pretty good. A far better buy then the iPod hi-fi…

Posted by FePa on March 28, 2006 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

Oliver - Since you don’t understand my comments I’m not knocking this product and the sound quality has nothing to do with package contents or price.  These are two different things.  I didn’t post any comments putting this product down in any way just in case your comments are aimed at me.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on March 28, 2006 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Audrey I wasn’t aiming at you directly.  I was just generalizing it…If you do feel bad, sorry.

Posted by Oliver on March 28, 2006 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

I don’t feel bad.  I was just explaining that it wasn’t a put down of this product since I actually like the product but was just commenting that at that price I just think the stand should be included instead of a separate purchase.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on March 28, 2006 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

I agree Audrey. I would say that it seems a bit expensive, but that is very hard to judge without hearing the device or at least seeing more specifications.

I think the design is slightly better than good…nothing I would go crazy about.

I also don’t know if I am sold on the digitally produced soundstage from nonexistant stereo separation idea. Any takers?

Posted by slappe in Wisconsin, USA on March 28, 2006 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

Interestingly enough the embracingsound website lists possible applications of its use in mobile phones. I have a 512mb card in my phone filled with movies and tv shows and never watch them. 99.9% use is normal conversation where the phone is applied to one ear. Does anyone else need stereo sound from their cellphones?

Posted by slappe in Wisconsin, USA on March 28, 2006 at 2:26 PM (PDT)

Indeed thats cool, I think these are super overpriced tho

Posted by RedApple on March 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

I really do like the design. I do think the stand should come with it though. the price is a little to over bord! Don’t forget that the iPod Hi-Fi is $300. so this should be a little better, it is not apple though, so it probably isn’t as good=)

Posted by LawnBoy on March 28, 2006 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

Not convinced about this EmbracingSound stereo concept…seems about as flakey as Bose’s TrueSound faux surround concept. But until I actually hear it, I’ll withhold ultimate condemnation (now how’s that for fair and impartial).

Lookwise…very ‘60s to early ‘70s pop. I certainly don’t have to go there again...

Posted by flatline response on March 30, 2006 at 5:45 AM (PDT)