Geneva, Soundfreaq share speaker design wisdom in iDesign ‘12
Continuing a tradition that dates back to 2008, iLounge’s just-released New iPad Buyers’ Guide includes the fifth installment of our iDesign series. Created to share the wisdom of leading Apple third-party designers with a wider audience, the series has been filled with insightful information from the makers themselves—and this year’s edition is amongst the best to date. Spanning over 20 pages, it includes interviews with representatives from several companies, notably including speaker makers Geneva Lab and Soundfreaq.
Based in Switzerland, Geneva Lab brings a specific, minimal aesthetic to its speaker designs, something the company founder and CEO Jan-Erik Lundberg talked about in our interview. “We’ve always approached each product with the idea of design integrity that each system should be easily identifiable as a Geneva product without having to see the label”, said Lundberg. “Any new product idea we have starts with continuity with our past.” The company has also taken a no-compromises approach to its products, relying on superior materials and memorable designs during years that saw most rivals churning out forgettable alternatives.
By comparison, Soundfreaq is a young company, but forged a strong identity and philosophy of its own after creating the original iPod accessory lineup for Memorex. In one of our favorite iDesign interviews ever, Creative Director Matthew Paprocki explained the company’s focus on boxy, thoughtful speakers at aggressive prices. “Ultimately, speakers are about moving air volume,” he said. “Our rectangular forms are space efficient and allow us to make the biggest acoustic impact with the smallest footprint… We also want our style to be classic and timeless, not fleeting. We’re not making disposable products.”
You can find much more from both interviews in The New iPad Buyers’ Guide, which is available now as a free download.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12