Geneva, Soundfreaq share speaker design wisdom in iDesign ‘12
Continuing a tradition that dates back to 2008, iLounge’s just-released New iPad Buyers’ Guide includes the fifth installment of our iDesign series. Created to share the wisdom of leading Apple third-party designers with a wider audience, the series has been filled with insightful information from the makers themselves—and this year’s edition is amongst the best to date. Spanning over 20 pages, it includes interviews with representatives from several companies, notably including speaker makers Geneva Lab and Soundfreaq.
Based in Switzerland, Geneva Lab brings a specific, minimal aesthetic to its speaker designs, something the company founder and CEO Jan-Erik Lundberg talked about in our interview. “We’ve always approached each product with the idea of design integrity that each system should be easily identifiable as a Geneva product without having to see the label”, said Lundberg. “Any new product idea we have starts with continuity with our past.” The company has also taken a no-compromises approach to its products, relying on superior materials and memorable designs during years that saw most rivals churning out forgettable alternatives.
By comparison, Soundfreaq is a young company, but forged a strong identity and philosophy of its own after creating the original iPod accessory lineup for Memorex. In one of our favorite iDesign interviews ever, Creative Director Matthew Paprocki explained the company’s focus on boxy, thoughtful speakers at aggressive prices. “Ultimately, speakers are about moving air volume,” he said. “Our rectangular forms are space efficient and allow us to make the biggest acoustic impact with the smallest footprint… We also want our style to be classic and timeless, not fleeting. We’re not making disposable products.”
You can find much more from both interviews in The New iPad Buyers’ Guide, which is available now as a free download.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, July giveaway reminder
- Happy Independence Day from iLounge!
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for giveaways
- Withings unveils Activité fitness tracking watch
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, giveaway reminder
- Adobe intros Ink and Slide iPad accessories, new apps
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks