Give Apple iPod Feedback | iLounge News

Give Apple iPod Feedback

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, April 28, 2003
News Categories:

Are you upset that Apple did not include support for note reader, two new games, On-the-Go playlists, customizable menu and sleep timer in iPod Software 1.3 for older iPods? Send them a peice of your mind as we have on the official iPod Feedback page at Apple.com.

Note: It’s very curious that Apple is listing iPod Software 2.0 in its list of choices in the “What iPod software are you running?” menu. Does this mean that iPod Software 1.3 is the last of the updates for older iPods or is it just an incremental update to immediately support iTunes 4 and AAC. Will iPod Software 2.0 support new features on old iPods?

« Meet the New iPods Friday, May 2nd

Watch, See and Experience Music at Apple.com »

Comments

I sent them feedback. I highly recommend doing this, as I’m sure they will listen to customers if there are enough responses. My advice is to keep it professional and rational; if I were them I’d ignore comments such as, “GIVE US 2.0!”

Posted by monkeyking84 on April 28, 2003 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

Oh by the way, can someone outline exactly what 1.3 does? I have a Winniepod. =/

Posted by monkeyking84 on April 28, 2003 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

Q: Why would Apple not provide the same features in the 1.3 update as they provide in the 2.0 version?  A: Money.

The least Apple should do for those of us that have supported them and helped to make iPod “THE” mp3 player in the industry, is offer the 2.0 update for a small fee.  I would be willing to pay to upgrade the functionality of my current iPod.

Posted by Buy it! on April 30, 2003 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

I’ve sent the following feedback to Apple.

———————————————

Having just spent $400 for the 10gb windows model just a month ago… without knowing that there would infact be a new model available, I’m very upset that you won’t see fit to design v 2.0 software to work on older models. I love the ipod, though the very features that should have been included in the first place… playlists away from the pc and song queue, are the very features that you seem to think are worth purchasing a completely new model for. NO. Do you honestly think that this will convince consumers in the same position as me to upgrade? NO. It will also generate quite the negative buzz among the 700,000 current ipod owners. Imagine if we all complained to as little as 1 other friend. That’s a large number of unhappy people and a large of potential customers who will go to the new panasonic device. You act is if the 1.3 upgrade that allows support for AAC audio is doing us a favor. Hardly. You would be foolish to not allow us this because then you couldn’t sell AAC audio in your store to 700,000 customers.

Apple had better change it’s marketing strategy. The ipod is a terrific product, but terrific products alone do not keep customers. Customer service is KEY to keeping lifetime customers.

Posted by mGee on April 30, 2003 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

I suggest a boycott on Apple’s new music srvice until all software based new features (or at least the play que) are released to older customers. This should get Apple’s attention if enough people do it (and get other to). It should be made known to Apple that restricting update support for older users will not be tolerated. What can current buyers expect when the 4G (technically 3G > 3.0) iPods come out.
  And in the meantime if you really need to satisfy your craving for downloading music, there are MANY p2p networks out there (which have a bgger selection, no restrictions, and are free).
  Apple’s expectations are set very high for their music store, as were the expectations of all older iPod users for an update!

Posted by 1000 Monkeys in PA on April 30, 2003 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

I also have recently purchased a 10 Gb iPod via the Apple store and a few weeks later see the new comparable model for 80 pound less.

It really is VERY bad customer care.

Apple knew the release was imminent so they should have reduced the price of the old models in preparation for the new release. VERY disappointed.

Posted by Nomad01 in England on May 1, 2003 at 1:55 AM (PDT)

Having purchased the 20Gb iPod in the last two months I am extremely disappointed in Apple not providing v 2.0 for the 1st and 2nd generation iPods.  My assumption is that this is purely an economic decision.  However the high price of iPods does not justify a purchase of a new model at the same or higher price solely for software updates.  As such, I hope Apple decides to serve those customers who have been loyal to the company and championed its success through their purchase of the intial iPods when cynics disregarded the model due to its sticker price.

Posted by Pravin in New York on May 2, 2003 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

Why can’t you people just accept the fact that a new model has new features?  Yes, it is too bad that you just bought yours a month ago.  I’m sorry.  Boo hoo.
If it had been any other consumer electronics product that came out a month after buying yours would you be crying to them about not being able to upgrade yours to current features?  Do you really think that Sony or JVC or Panasonic or anyone else would really care if you were upset that your DVD player you just bought couldn’t be upgraded?  I think not.
If everyone that had an earlier generation of iPod could upgrade theirs then there would be no reason to purchase a new one, other than the physical and size aspects.  Apple knows this.  Thats why there are new software features as well.
I have a 1st generation 10 gig and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon (mostly because of the lack of accessories for the new models).
Grow up, please.

Posted by macMike on May 3, 2003 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

I think macMike has a point. But I cannot help but get pissed. I purchased my 2G Ipod 10GB less than one month ago for 400 USD. Now, I check apple.com and they are telling me that If I had waited one month, for 100 USD less (300USD) I could have gotten a 10GB Ipod 3G !! You can imagine the look on my face. Oh well I say, but this was a big surprise and I am disapointed in Apples marketing strategies, but it is life. Although let me tell you guys one thing, I will not buy another audio player from apple until this one literally dies !! I will use it and make every penny I spent on it worthed. Would be nice of apple to give us 1G and 2G users something, some sort of software compensation for there dirty little tricks. Hey, I guess I expected Apple to think a little more about customers. But I guess not. I was going to purchase a new 12” powerbook G4 this summer, but I think I will use my Ibook till it dies also, then I will think about it.

GOOD JOB APPLE !! YOU ARE DIGGING YOUR OWN GRAVE !!

PS: have been a PC user all my life, This is making me think, did I do the right thing????

Posted by huesage in behind you on May 3, 2003 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

Apple, the kings of Customer Support…

or so they’d have you believe.

I own a 2G 20GB Windows IPod & so far have been mighty impressed with the device & customer service to the point of considering purchasing a MAC to see how good they really are!

Alas, now I realise that Apple are like most other manufacturers ... the short term profit & loss account is king & the customer well, a lemon to be squeezed until dry…

My money goes with ‘huesage’. I too will use this thing until it dies then swap to some other brand REGARDLESS of how much I love this device.

I refuse to be treated like a lemon.

Posted by AndyO in UK on May 20, 2003 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

ipod are great to start with - its just a pity there life expectancy is so short.  We bought our ipod in Nov2003 - it died in Apr 2005 - hardware failure - totally unfixable have to through it in the bin.  Stopped working for no reason whatsoever - the only unfortunet bit is bought a G5Imac as well just hope that lasts.  Will def change brands.

Posted by sassy on June 4, 2005 at 11:48 PM (PDT)

ipod are not great.. they suck… what else do you buy for 250 pounds and get 14 months use till it totally dies… not slowly going down hill . just one day fine the next chuck in bin…macmike dont make me laugh you have not got a first generation ipod they have all broken down ...  mines 2nd generation finished.. you say tough….your a joker!  no more apple for me .!or anyone else i speak to hopefully…. now thats alot of money. so much for your idea on upgrading….. ha ha

Posted by sassy on June 5, 2005 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

had bougt 30 GB Ipod 3 months ago. Serial No is415096MESAY for s$720/- as birthday present for my beloved husband. Before I bouht it I enquired with my friends, which ipod I should by? ZEN or Apple. All my friends did adviced me repair service and quqlity is better with ZEN. Inspite of their advice, I bought Apple ipod, THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! 1st day only when my 13 yeasr son brought ipod in his school bag, such that on the way back he can listen in bus, to his surprise LCD had some internal crack with no external or cosmetic damage. I brought it to multiple apple repair centers, was told to throw away this ipod and buy new one. They are unable to provide me with any repair.

What kind of repair service is this? I ignore the warranty, but The Biggest Ipod Maker Of The world was unable to repair my brand new most expensive ipod!!!

1st of all I feel the quality of Ipod LCD is very poor!!! There were multiple customer with similsr complaints in service center. No where in the instruction oi is written that we have to carry Ipod in some kind of sold protective bag. If apple knew the fragility of LCD screen , they should provide all the customer with solid cover like palmtops!

We all should decide against the iPod primarily due to the battery problem, LCD problems: iPod batteries are not removable so can’t be replaced. Although they are rechargeable, they do wear out, supposedly in about 2 years. Then you have to buy a whole new iPod. The Zen Micro has a rechargeable battery that is removeable, so it can be replaced when it wears out.

Posted by Varsha on August 23, 2005 at 1:50 AM (PDT)

Hello there

I would like to offer an exchange of links between your website and ours, which have excellent Google rankings. If you find such a proposal interesting then please send me details of your sites. However, if you are not interested please accept my apologies for taking your time.

Best regards
Anna Greenberg

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Anna Greenberg on December 7, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

I own my beloved 60 gig 5g ipod, which keeps restarting with ver 1.3 firmware, i know im not the only one with this problem , there are many people on this forum with the same thing, my only fix is to reinstall with version 1.1.2 firmware, it then works, but ive lost all the functionality of 1.3, now i dont care if we never see ver 2 firmware for this model, but i would like to see an update to 1.3 that will fix my problem, i appreciate its not a current model, but it was £300 of my hard earned cash when it was new… come on apple!!!

Posted by Rob Foster on September 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM (PDT)

I just bought an ipod shuffle for my girlfriend and tried to put my music collection on it. Unfortunately I-tunes is the most unintuitive program I have ever used. Firstly it started to scour my computer for corel sample music. I removed the corel sample music from my machine but I-tunes still tried to put it on the ipod. I then tried to put the music I wanted on the i-pod. I wrestled with I-tunes for around 1 hr before all the music was on but in the wrong order. Then I spent another hour looking up how to reorder the tracks. Finally I tried to put some tracks from my laptop onto the I-pod but I had to wipe the i-pod and start again. This is the worst experence ever.

Posted by midna1 on December 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

I have60 gig 5g ipod, which keeps restarting with ver 1.3 firmware, I know im not the only one with this problem , there are many people on this forum with the same thing, my only fix is to reinstall with version 1.1.2 firmware, it then works, but ive lost all the functionality of 1.3, I dont care if we never see ver 2 firmware for this model, but I would like to see an update to 1.3 that will fix my problem, I appreciate its not a current model, but it was out dated two weeks after i purchesed it. Louis Christie
27489 Mayfair Ave
Brownstown Twp
Mi 48183

Posted by Louis Christie on July 31, 2010 at 7:12 PM (PDT)