Give me money to buy an iPod | iLounge News

Give me money to buy an iPod

UK resident Geoff really wants an iPod. So he’s simply asking you to give him money so he can buy one. His website is complete with photos of people handing him money as well as statistics on money collected, how it was contributed, contributors sex and more.

“Surely this can’t be done can it? I’m trying to convince five hundred people to just give me 50p each, so that I can raise 250 to buy an Apple iPod. It’s simply a silly audacious bid to raise the cash, and it does appear to be working!”

« Update: iLounge server is faster?

How one family deals with digital downloads »

Comments

“i would rather give 50p to someone saving for an iPod than funding a tramps drug money for skag”
I give money to homeless people, and if they’re gonna buy drugs, I’d rather they use the money I gave them than commit a crime to get money for drugs.. mug someone, rob a shop etc.

And I dont see why its such a big deal to give a guy 50p so he can get an iPod either. Dont take it so seriously.

Posted by Sypher on January 2, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

Oh, and just to make me not look like some ogre, i’ve done more than a years charity work and im still working at BHF so dont say I have no empathy or compassion. And it isnt like I havn’t given money to the homeless, I just dont anymore…its my view

but this is the internet, there isn’t a right or wrong, and its nothing to go by, as its just peoples opinions, which obviously differ from one to the next. and as sypher said, it isn’t really a big deal anyway.

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 2, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

I hope that for every donation you collect and actually use towards an iPod that you suffer for an undetermined period. If you have any f%&ing; decency you’ll give all the money you collect to charity.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 2, 2004 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

Is this the Christian Coalition iPod Lounge or what! So much judgement and denigration for some poor fool looking for attention… and an iPod.

What does this guy wanting an iPod have to do with charity?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 2, 2004 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

I think the dissenting voices here are referencing charity in the sense that if someone is going to donate 50p of their cash it should be to a charitable cause, rather than a man who wants an ipod.  However it’s up to the individual how they spend their money, and some might say no-one should ever buy an ipod at all - but instead donate the money to charity.

Whether you think it’s a good idea or a bad one - Geoff has (perhaps inadvertently) showed how easy it is to give 50p to a cause - any cause, be it worthy or trivial.

If all those who can afford to give 50p to someone do then maybe that’s a good thing in itself - we could argue forever what the most worthy cause in the world is and we’d never agree. (although we could possibly agree that it’s not an ipod).

I think those that are giving the money largely admire the simplicity of the “just ask” concept - if someone wants to take the idea and run with something bigger and more altruistic then good on them…

Posted by SWI on January 2, 2004 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Has he ever heard of a job?? If it works more power to him.

Posted by mstngo on January 2, 2004 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Holy moly, guys… You act as if giving 50p to charity and giving 50p to a kid that wants an MP3 player are mutually exclusive!  Guess what… They’re not!

It’s wildly unfair to assume that because these people are donating 50p to this kid, that they’ve never donated to the truly needy before.  ...that just because they do so, they’re shallow, heartless people.

I’m *SURE* that everyone complaining here has walked by a Salvation Army bin, and bought a gumball 10 steps later.  Does that make you void of empathy and compassion?  Heck no.

In my mind, people that give for the right reasons are doing it for the good of the recipients out of the goodness of their own heart, not so they can walk around (on the internet, too) with a holier-than-thou attitude accusing people of being heartless.

People are so quick to judge on the internet, it makes me sick.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 2, 2004 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

obviously BIGP think that all eurpoeans are stupid

in response I did not say that euros were stupid i said only euro would give money to some one they dont know to by an ipod so chill out ###

Posted by BIGP on January 2, 2004 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

You think that only European people would give a tiny amount of money to someone so he could get an iPod? Why is it a bad thing that we are generous (well.. its only 50p but still) and laid back enough to not take it that seriously, and think, “well, he’s put all this effort into it, its just a bit of fun, why not give him 50p”? Most people who have iPods had to work hard/save for them, so I understand that people wouldnt like the idea of someone getting one for free. But its nice to see that people are actually donating money to him.

Posted by Sypher on January 2, 2004 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

SWI and azdude took the words out of my mouth.

Geoff is conducting a social experiment for laughs and hopefully for him, an ipod.  He has a job, friends, disposable income and obviously a sense of humor.  All those complaining about the money not going to charity should sell their iPods and expensive computer equipment and donate the proceeds to their favorite cause.

“A little nonesense now and then is relished by the wisest men.”
                    -Willy Wonka

Posted by RacerX on January 2, 2004 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

I still think the people giving this guy money are idiots.

Posted by Mountain Man on January 2, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Did you guys actually go to his site?  He’s already donated thousands of pounds to Cancer research- so it’s not a ‘scumbag’ at all.

I say good luck to him.  And also, good luck with your tube adventures.  I found them to be an entertaining read.

Posted by Chips on January 2, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

People who take it upon themselves to complain about this are ridiculous. It would be like if someone stood around at a gas station, waiting to tell you that you’re wrong for putting your pennies in the “Take A Penny, Leave A Penny” cup instead of the “Find Little Missing Kenny” jar! Sure, little missing kenny is missing, but that doesn’t mean that it makes the habit of having a laugh and “helping a brother out” defunct. Plus, the people being criticized - Geoff and anybody who contributes to him - are the best type in the internet community - people who are friendly enough to find each other amusing and worth caring about - no matter what the issue. We each make decisions everyday about what is “necessary” in our spending: coffee, food, clothes, movies, gadgets, dates, friends, charities, etc. - I’m just filing this one under “friends” because that’s what I gained by meeting the guy.

Posted by forgetter on January 2, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

helllooooo?

(knocks on monitor glass)

this IS still a free country right?

im gonna give him 50 pence (as soon as i find out what 50 pence is in dollars, i keep seeing diffrent amounts lol) after all its MY MONEY, and i can spend it any way i want to.

some of you lack compassion…

if you don’t want to give, no ones forcing you.

tis better to give than to recive…

Posted by futuremac on January 2, 2004 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

if you go to his site, he’s updated it ackowledging this site, this link and this discussion, encouraging people to say what they think, saying he does have a job, he knows it’s a frivolous and selfish cause and you don’t have to donate if you dont want to. Like Chips said, he’s raised multiple thousands of pounds for Cancer Research UK so maybe he’s just a good bloke with a sense of humor

Posted by Nuke666 on January 2, 2004 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

Monitor! Mountain Man called me an idiot! Waaaah!

Seriously, Geoff’s site is hugely amusing and he doesn’t accept more than 50p as a donation. Think about how many people’s small life “wishes” would be grated if they could just find 500 people with $1 they would share. So I do without a coke this afternoon or don’t buy a lottery ticket…I would do this every week if the person was as communicative and interesting as Geoff.

Posted by Captain Crammit on January 2, 2004 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

I’m definitely entertained by the dialogue that’s taking place.  I like Geoff’s idea, if only for the discussion it’s generated.
I’ve certainly wasted more than a dollar on “cheap” entertainment.  Isn’t that another way of looking at this?  You could make an argument for spending money to pay for his intellectual property.  Isn’t this an example of capitalism?

Posted by What the? on January 2, 2004 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

Like I said, I think I’ll start up a “Give me a dollar just for the hell of it!” campaign.  Apparently, there are enough suckers in the world to make it a profitable venture.

Posted by Mountain Man on January 2, 2004 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

Mountain Man if you have a Paypal account (which you really need if you’re going to start a “Give me a dollar just for the hell of it!” campaign), I’d like to be your first contributor. It’s just a dollar and no big deal - just like the buck I sent to Geoff.

Posted by tvaughn333 on January 2, 2004 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

Ha ha,

The checky monhey already has a iPod, you know, and h’s a Windos User. Plus U tried to get to use iTunes fro Windows, but he tried but it was to hard got him/different from the way Windows products work wink

‘Someone from Euro who knows this fool’

grin

Posted by Roland Young on January 3, 2004 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >