Give your iPod that brushed steel look | iLounge News

Give your iPod that brushed steel look

iLounger Adam Podnar has done the unthinkable to his iPod… he has taken a household scouring sponge (pad) and rubbed the polished metal of his iPod until it became ‘brushed steel.’ Why did he do this? “So, you don’t like the sweaty hand on the back of an expensive MP3 player look? I don’t either. Brush the back of the iPod to make it look better I hear you say? Indeed.”

« Wired: ITunes Undermines Social Security

Belkin iPod Voice Recorder for $34 »

Comments

I know a guy who actually sandblasted the back of his iPod. It looks pretty good too.

Posted by Chris on November 12, 2003 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

This guy just killed his ipod, the idea of the ipod is to give you style, and part of that is the metallic look .... incredible waste of time and money (poor ipod, I pitty him)

Posted by musicroom on November 12, 2003 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

I think this looks great. It’s true it’s not “as nice” as the polished, but at least it looks clean. ‘Cause there is no way you can keep that polish without a signle fingerprint. And thus, it looks dirty. At least with the brushed steel look, it looks clean and nice.

I wish I had the skills, the patience, and the guts to do this. But I’m way too scared to make it wrong @__@

LoneStar (seeking skilled craftman)

Posted by LoneStar on November 12, 2003 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

That looks great! Nice job. But like lonestar, I’m a bit too much of a wuss to try it myself.

Posted by kloh on November 12, 2003 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

WOW. Good job. If my iPod ever gets scratched beyond recognition…i will definately do this mod. It kind of reminds me of those refrigerators with brushed aluminum doors. Very elegant.

Posted by ILoveMusic on November 12, 2003 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

need a picture of the thing that you can actually see what it looks like.  Hard to tell since all the pics have terrible lighting.  Try some outside pictures in the sun.

Posted by timmy on November 12, 2003 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

” the idea of the ipod is to give you style, and part of that is the metallic look”
Is not also part of the ipod style and originality? That is why we spend so much money on after market stuff to make it look cooler than it already is. I say let people do what they wish to show their creativity. If everyone had the same ipod we would not be original, just like no one should scorn someone for having a particular song on theirs. It makes us original!

Posted by Kman1666 on November 12, 2003 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

“the idea of the ipod is to give you style”

This is what is wrong with iPod groupies in a nutshell.

The purpose of the iPod for Apple is to make as much profit as possible.

The purpose of the iPod for people is to play music.

But for you, the purpose is to derive ersatz status. You should get out more.

Posted by snobs on November 12, 2003 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I don’t consider that a brushed aluminum looks..looks ugly although I still maintain that Apple shoudl create special addition Ipods that are black with a real brushed aluminum finish

Posted by bababooey on November 12, 2003 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

what does it do to laser etching? your ph

Posted by timmy in Melbourne, Australia on November 12, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

what does it do to laser etching? your ph

Posted by timmy in Melbourne, Australia on November 12, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

what does it do to laser etching? your ph

Posted by timmy in Melbourne, Australia on November 12, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

musicroom, I pity you for still having a semi polished back, it didn’t cost a cent.

LoneStar, you don’t need much skill. If you’ve washed the dishes before, your fine… As for patience, its just an hour of work or so. The guts? Well, I guess you just have to build it up.

Kman1666, you are the man.

bababooey, you should see it in real life, it looks much better.

timmy L, it keeps the writing intact, doesn’t really touch it.

Thanks all for your comments,
Adam

Posted by Adam Podnar on November 12, 2003 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Adam might consider getting a life…

Posted by mark on November 12, 2003 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

looks great,! the picts are a bit dark but i can tell it probably looks sweet in person. it looks plenty stylish to me so don’t listen to the haters!

Posted by bg1 on November 12, 2003 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

” “So, you don’t like the sweaty hand on the back of an expensive MP3 player look?” Of course I don’t, but that’s not a problem at all. I always keep an eyeglass wiping cloth with my iPod at all times. I always grasp the iPod by the edges, so that the back never gets touched, and at the first sign of scuffing and blemishing, I polish it. When wiping becomes useless, windex gets it off very well.

Posted by Sraphim on November 12, 2003 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

after seeing the photo, my poor pod has a tear in her screen…......

Posted by you_silly_twat on November 12, 2003 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

I think Mark is the one that needs to get a life…don’t you think? At least make sense about your remarks.

Your brushed aluminum rocks…i just don’t think have the guts to do it though.

Posted by ILoveMusic on November 12, 2003 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

well.. worst comes to worst he can always get that ipod cleaner that gets rid of “the deepest of scratches” as the slogan goes ^.^ and hopefully if it goes wrong he can always just erase it with the cleaner.

Posted by iPodFreak on November 12, 2003 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

This guy is a nub.
He doesnt even know how to use Photoshop to rotate/flip an img.

I’ll surely take his direction *rolls eyes*

Btw, doesnt this’ll void your warranty! excellent, if it goes wrong lets contact Mark, like the tool will answer.

Posted by Stasyna on November 12, 2003 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >