Give your iPod that brushed steel look | iLounge News

Give your iPod that brushed steel look

iLounger Adam Podnar has done the unthinkable to his iPod… he has taken a household scouring sponge (pad) and rubbed the polished metal of his iPod until it became ‘brushed steel.’ Why did he do this? “So, you don’t like the sweaty hand on the back of an expensive MP3 player look? I don’t either. Brush the back of the iPod to make it look better I hear you say? Indeed.”

« Wired: ITunes Undermines Social Security

Belkin iPod Voice Recorder for $34 »

Comments

Hi,

mark, if you don’t want to do it, its your choice, but judging by the 5600 hits my website has had in 24 hours, other people do.

Stasyna, talk about being hypocritical, you can’t even spell words from the very language you claim to speak, bravo. Of course in this age of information, turning your head is out of the question - just get a computer to do your job.

Posted by Adam on November 13, 2003 at 3:19 AM (CST)

So now we have the iDelorean version of the iPod? :-)

Posted by Gary Seifert on November 13, 2003 at 4:48 AM (CST)

why would it void your warranty… you’re only doing something to the outside? that’s like saying if i scratched my name on my ipod it would void my warranty.. that’d be stupid. the warranty should only deal with the electronics inside….

Posted by Austen on November 13, 2003 at 8:52 AM (CST)

i doubt it voids your warranty as scratches don’t void your warranty.. i really don’t appreciate the tone that everyone is taking towards this guy.. if i want to paint *MY* iPod pink and *I* enjoy it that way then who cares what everyone else thinks? he’s just sharing his kewl idea with everyone.. his kewl idea just happens to be a “solution” to the scratching issue which is a BIG issue with the iPod..

Posted by selcouth on November 13, 2003 at 11:26 AM (CST)

setlcouth is right. Some people on this forum are just too over critical on things and are somtimes simply un-open to new ideas.

People like that don’t allow progress to happen. I’m sure at one point the iPod started out like a crazy idea as Adam’s brushed aluminum. Try to be open to it at least…if you don’t like it, then that’s YOUR problem.

Posted by ILoveMusic on November 13, 2003 at 3:51 PM (CST)

i agree with ILoveMusic and selcouth… i think it’s a very innovative solution to the smugdge problem and i’m considering doing it myself… in a couple years…. after my 15GB is obsolete… still a cool idea though..

Posted by Austen on November 13, 2003 at 6:32 PM (CST)

I am chicken sh*t to do this.  But if you think about it, you can’t really mess this project up, just a lot of repitition and patience - also gotta know when to stop too.  Okay, gotta go to work…......

Posted by cshit on November 13, 2003 at 11:12 PM (CST)

Hmm.
I’m not sure I want to try brushed yet… has anyone tried polishing it up and then putting a good car wax on it to help protect against scratches and finger prints?

Posted by JC on November 14, 2003 at 3:54 PM (CST)

Will it not now rust? In my experience with Chrome in car bumpers, as soon as you get a major scratch or loose the surface in some way, the rust comes flooding in… A sweaty hang clamped round the back is sure to help this process along too…

It’s a great idea, and I think it looks good, I just wanna know what will happen over the coming months… keep us posted ;o)

Posted by b3n on November 18, 2003 at 9:58 PM (CST)

Just “brushed” my ipod. It was fun and easy and looks very cool to me, although it’s not exactly something that most folks would notice w/o it being pointed out. Also, it still attracts some finger prints and smudges. I suggest using scotchbrite sheets (w/o the sponge attached).

This is such a benign mod, go ahead and do it, if you follow Adam’s instructions you can’t go wrong.

Posted by SFHydro on July 8, 2004 at 2:25 PM (CDT)

Hey Adam thanks very much for the tutorial :D
I was getting fed up of my stupid thumb prints on the back of my ipod, so i decided to brush steel it with a symbol :D
Cheers again

Posted by Teddy on August 24, 2004 at 5:23 AM (CDT)

like the idea. i think it looks great. think ill do it

Posted by eric on June 21, 2005 at 7:15 PM (CDT)

how did the guy paint the black flame on the back?

Posted by eric on June 21, 2005 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2