GM adding iPod compatibility to 2006 models | iLounge News

GM adding iPod compatibility to 2006 models

pic General Motors announced today that it is adding a new line of iPod-ready radios that will debut on its vehicles later this year. The new radios feature an auxiliary channel and front mounted auxiliary input jack, enabling owners of iPods or other portable audio players to connect the device and play it through the car stereo. While GM’s solution is not as integrated or iPod-only as other manufacturers such as Mercedes and Volvo, the car maker does make several references to the iPod in its press release.

“GM has a long tradition of leading with technology that provides real benefits to our customers,” said Mark LaNeve, GM vice president, sales, service and marketing. “We are excited to be part of the iPod revolution by offering our customers an easy way to play their favorite music in their GM cars and trucks.”

The new radios will be standard equipment on 2006 models of the Chevy HHR, Impala and Monte Carlo; Saturn VUE and ION; Pontiac Solstice; Buick Lucerne; and Cadillac DTS.

« DVForge offers ship dates for JamPod, The Clips

Griffin ships Dock400, Dock800 FireWire cables for iPods »

Comments

My Panasonic Cassette Deck/CD Changer combo has this… and it was made in 1992…

While certainly a benefit to the consumer, it just seems like half-baked effort. They get to associate the iPod name and buzz surrounding it with their cars while not really doing anything special.

Why don’t they just start including cassette adapters with their cars? Didn’t Volkswagen do that with the Beetle a couple of years back?

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on March 17, 2005 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Not all cars have cassette players anymore.  I had that problem when I first got my iPod and had to use an FM tuner.  Luckily I had Mini install a line in when I got my new car.  (I’m saving up to do the full iPod kit soon).

Posted by Jazzlawyer in Kelowna, BC Canada on March 17, 2005 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

This is great news for future GM owners!  Most GM vehicles have a Bose system so adding iPod connectivitiy will only enhance the listening experience IMHO.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on March 17, 2005 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

I have spent weeks looking for a car CD player with a simple line-in port but none seem to exist. What’s up with that? It is a common feature with tape decks. Anyway, for me the simplest solution was a DLO Transpod FM transmitter. Sound quality is compromised but then cars are noisy listening spaces.

Posted by Sol in Brisbane, Australia on March 17, 2005 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

white this *certainly* isn’t new technology, it most certainly *is* a step in the right direction.

Posted by petro on March 17, 2005 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

I, too, considered the DLO Transpod but was not able to get past the bulk,radio interferance and, most importantly,the conspicuous appearance. I came up with this solution instead. Plug a Belkin charger ( with 1/8 stereo jack in 12v end) into an auxilary outlet you have mounted under dash or console . Use a old inline FM modulator from an ” add on CD changer ” or buy one from Audiovox ( Circuit City $50 ) to connect antenna jack of head unit to Belkin audio output ( Radio Shack has RCA to 1/8 ). This set- up gives you a single , discreet, connection that charges and transmits a clean signal to any radio.  Ps. the inline modulator disconnects the ext. ant when powered to eliminate broadcast signal interferance.

Posted by nolapod on March 17, 2005 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

All AIWA decks have a 1/8” jack on the front.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 18, 2005 at 12:05 AM (PDT)

I like how you can wrap the excess cable around the defroster controls smile

Posted by Nagromme on March 18, 2005 at 3:24 AM (PDT)

Dang it! I bought an 2004 ION. I am none too happy.

Posted by MTVKilledusall in Hurts, Texas on March 19, 2005 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

This made me consider buying a GM vehicle next time around.  For about… a nanosecond. wink

Posted by ct77 on March 19, 2005 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

HA! ct77, i hear ya.  But GM better do something if they’re going to stay in business.  That still won’t get me to buy one though!

GM= Generic Motors wink

Posted by apple juice in USA on March 21, 2005 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

i wonder why VW didn’t take the ipod car integration any further. it was one of the first to acknowledge the need (with the beetle/ipod campaign), but then it didn’t follow-up on it.  VW and ipod still seem, at least to me, a natural fit.

Posted by mikem29 in georgia on March 22, 2005 at 10:55 AM (PDT)