Goldster Audio debuts tube amp and speakers for iPod | iLounge News

Goldster Audio debuts tube amp and speakers for iPod

pic The Concertino is a combination of a tube based audio-amplifier and full range speakers designed and tuned exclusively for use with Apple’s iPod. The Concertino is compatible with all iPod models, iPod mini as well as AirPort Express. The enclosure consists of solid aluminium and hardened glass, and its multi-layered paint is applied by hand. The tuba amp features 190 watts of power and the speakers provide a full range system, with ported enclosure and 4.5 in double cone vintage-style fullrange drivers. The Concertino is available in Germany at 3.200,- Euro, including 16% sales tax. Customers outside of Germany should contact Goldster Audio for a price quote.

« ‘iPod & iTunes Garage’ released

New Toshiba drives pave way for 80GB iPod, thinner 40GB »

Comments

Now that is cool, tube amp . Puts my Bose wave and Tivoli pal to shame. 3200 euros is a bit much but what the hell.

Posted by Brads214 on December 14, 2004 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Tube as in vacuum tubes?

I have a big vacuum tube stereo that was gutted when I got it. Oh, well, the speakers still work!

Posted by Nagromme on December 14, 2004 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

thats too much money.. you’ll get better sound with a better source. I bought a Ray Samuels Emmeline SR-71 amp for my iPod and the sound is unbelievable ($200 “pre-owned”)  all in a small package

Posted by pimp2 on December 14, 2004 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Man that is sexy! thats gotta be the most expensive iPod speaker set ive seen so far.

Love the valves!

Posted by Muse on December 14, 2004 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

A tube amp for an ipod??? People love tube amps because they give a rich depth of tone. Why is this necessary for an ipod which plays music in mp3 or AAC format? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Posted by Warnes Cohal in Florida on December 14, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

I bet it sounds warmer in iPod socks!

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on December 14, 2004 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

One word, iWant

Posted by svelo on December 15, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

I wanted to offer some clarification on the output power of this amp.  Power consumption is rated at 190 watts, but this is not an indication of its output power.  The output tubes in this amp are in the same family as the wonderful 300B. Every SET 300B amp I have ever seen and used is rated at about 8 watts per channel.  This amp may have as many as 15 watts per channel, but this should not discourage anyone from buying it.  15 watts from a SET amp is more than enough for speakers greater than 90dB efficient.  SET amps are known to be some of the best sounding, most musical amps made, and I assume this one is no acception.  I especially applaud their choice in using a single full range driver per speaker.  I’m a big fan of simple designs like this, but the price is out of my range.  It should be noted that the price is not out of line with other SET amps using similar tubes.

Posted by simpl in Austin, TX on December 15, 2004 at 2:50 PM (PDT)