Google announces new iPhone web app | iLounge News

Google announces new iPhone web app

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, December 5, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Google has announced the release of a new iPhone web application that integrates the company’s services, such as search, Gmail, Calendar, Reader, and more, into a single, iPhone and iPod touch-friendly interface. Google says that the new application takes advantage of browser technologies like AJAX that allow for Gmail and Google Maps on the desktop, stating, “In supporting these advances in web technology, the iPhone’s Safari browser not only delivers an excellent mobile Internet experience; it enabled our product and engineering teams to create an optimal Google experience on a mobile device.” To access the new application, simply visit google.com on an iPhone or iPod touch.

« Mix: Nokia, NYPD, V-Moda, Google, Mediafour

Apple donates iPods to students who lost homes »

Comments

This is probably the greatest iPhone web app ever. Thanks, Google!

Posted by Muero on December 5, 2007 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Darn, I really wanted this functionality, but I have a video iPod.  Guess I’ll have to wait for the iTouch with the bigger harddrive coming next year.

Posted by Matt on December 5, 2007 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

I’m on a 16GB iPod touch now in the uk visiting http://www.google.com and I can’t see anything different ?

Posted by Michael Litman on December 5, 2007 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I just watched the google desktop video on my mac and I’m still trying to figure out what it does. The video explained nothing. Anyone want to try and explain the benefits to me?

Posted by urbanslaughter on December 5, 2007 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

how can i get to the google maps area and navigate in the streetview? or did they not change the plugin yet?

Posted by dennis on December 5, 2007 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

When I log into google.com it redirects me to google.co.uk/m

Halfway down the screen is a link “More Google products"and clicking on the link takes me to a list with Search, Maps, Google Mail, Calendar, Docs, News and Photos

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on December 5, 2007 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

It’s great, but I can only get this to work with my @gmail.com account, and not my Google for Domains account (which uses my own domain). Maybe soon? Anyone get it to work outside of @gmail.com accounts?

Posted by Jeff Hester on December 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

I love it. I use Google Reader for RSS feeds and I like the gmail interface. Very cool.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on December 6, 2007 at 11:19 AM (PDT)