Google: Apple did reject Google Voice application
In its response to a Federal Communications Commission inquiry into why Apple rejected an official Google Voice application for the iPhone, Google stated (PDF Link) that Apple did in fact reject its Google Voice application, a charge Apple denied in its public response on the matter, claiming it was still studying the application. The majority of Google’s response was redacted from the original public filing on the basis that it was confidential; the full document was released today, and reveals that Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller personally talked and met with Google Senior Vice President of Engineering & Research Alan Eustace about the Google Voice and Google Latitude applications, both rejected by Apple on the grounds that they duplicated core iPhone functionality and could potentially lead to customer confusion. In a particularly damning passage, Google indicates that Apple rejected Google Latitude because it would “offer new features not present on the preloaded maps application,” and “did not want applications that could potentially replace such functionality,” using similar grounds to reject Google Voice. Google also states that it had no contact with AT&T on the matter, a claim which both Apple and AT&T have previously confirmed. Google says that it has no other proposed applications pending approval with Apple.
Update: Apple has released a terse statement on the matter, saying, “We do not agree with all of the statements made by Google in their FCC letter. Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application and we continue to discuss it with Google.”
- Halo: Spartan Bundle, Cut!, Sago Mini Toolbox, Chrome, System Monitor + Tumblr
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Implosion, Last Voyage, Glass, Instagram + Snapseed
- After School app returns to App Store with new safety features
- Report: Apple acquisition used for App Store ‘Explore’ tab
- Apple Maps adds Booking.com and Trip Advisor reviews
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?