Google launches Google Sync for iPhone | iLounge News

Google launches Google Sync for iPhone

Google today launched a beta version of its Google Sync service for the iPhone and iPod touch. Google Sync is a two-way push synchronization service that works with Gmail contacts and Google Calendars, allowing users to update information from either their iPhone or iPod touch, using the built-in Calendar and Contacts applications, or from any traditional computer, using the web browser. The new Sync service uses the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol, and Google warns that enabling the Sync service will automatically delete any existing contacts and calendar information from the device. For more information on Google Sync or to set up the service on a device, visit m.google.com/sync.

« Apple TV online survey questions movie rental, purchasing habits

SmHeart Link provides iPhone, exercise equipment interaction »

Comments

PLEAS READ BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH GOOGLE SYNC!!!

Guys be careful with this. I just did this sync and lost ALL the calendar alerts I had in there before the sync and it modified ALL my contacts. I lost info on pretty much all of them. It deleted the pictures and various bits of info that I am having to replace manually.

Also I have public calendars in my account and it does not add them at all just the events I make myself from here out.

Google obviously needs to address some issues and that is why this is called a BETA.

Posted by Mike Coogan on February 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM (CST)

The original article and the google site warns you that all information is deleted. The google site also explicitly warns you to back up your contacts and calendar. It also tells you that photos will be lost, so major house cleaning is required.

On another note, I only synced my calendar, but now I notice that in my calendar app on the Iphone, in month view, every day has a dot under the number, as if there is something scheduled, but this isn’t the case. So now when I look at the cal app, the whole month is filled with the dot indicating something is scheduled. I tried removing all other public calendars and this didn’t help. Its not a HUGE deal, but is annoying looking at the calendar and knowing that I will have to check each day individually to see if something is scheduled. I’ll wait for more bug fixes before trying to sync contacts, Itunes will still do that without wiping everything out.

Posted by John on February 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM (CST)

For me though I couldn’t sync my public calendars even though I can see them in google. I have a calendar for podcasts and that isn’t showing up and one with the weather and thats not showing either. I added one through google of holidays and that isn’t there.

I was just caught off guard with how much data is lost. And it’s odd cause I was syncing my contacts through google through iTunes and it never replaced the info or removed anything that way.

And the backup method they say only does the contacts not the calendar so there is no way to recover the calendar info I lost.

Posted by Mike Coogan on February 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM (CST)

guys, this is how Exchange does when you enable ActiveSync.  it takes over as your main Cal, Contacts/address books.  this is what Win Mobile does, too.  it’s not Apple’s nor Google’s fault that it does this (not only that, they WARNED you already)...  blame Microsoft for that because that’s exactly what Exchange ActiveSync will do when enabled.

Posted by phongsta on February 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM (CST)

If I just want to sync my calendar… will it still delete my contacts?

Posted by Whacko on February 10, 2009 at 6:40 AM (CST)

I read about the Ipod sync system when you add music and videos ect. It warns you about deleting your calendar.

Posted by Dave Smith on February 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM (CST)

Google did a good job with this.  Works well with my iPod Touch 2G.  Updates are speedy.

@Mike Coogan - sorry for your pain.  I’m resigned to the reality that technology = chaos.  How do I sleep at night?  Lots of different backup systems.  jungledisk is worth every cent.

Posted by Alec Satin on February 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM (CST)

I hate to ask what could be an obvious/stupid question, but can someone here help me out?  I currently have my Outlook calendar at work on my iPhone 3G.  What I really want is to have two calendars, my work/Outlook calendar and my personal/gCal.

I know that at one time it was a one calendar product.  What I don’t understand still is whether this is still the case or not?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by mkobus on February 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM (CST)

Although I have never knowingly synced with Exchange ActiveSync my 3G shows the same as in post 2 descibed - every single day shows a dot.
Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue?

Posted by klasube on October 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM (CDT)