Google offers vinyl iPod wraps | iLounge News

Google offers vinyl iPod wraps

image

Google’s official company store is now selling inexpensive vinyl wraps for fourth- and fifth-generation iPods and the iPod nano. Made by inPODnito, the repositionable wraps are adhesive-backed, feature a repeating Google logo pattern, and sell for $1.75 each.

« Apple, Creative announce settlement; Creative joins ‘Made for iPod’ program

Mix: Gray market, YouTube, Shareholders, iPod teens »

Comments

what

Posted by jm on August 23, 2006 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

I used to like Google, but like every other idea who gets too big, Google is starting to morph into the moneymaking monger it was meant to be. I think Google should give me, as a form of payment, an iPod clad with their advertisement. I sure as hell will never pay for the privilege of advertising Google!

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on August 23, 2006 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

Well, at least they have the right idea for pricing on those things, unlike other companies..

Posted by Ayala on August 23, 2006 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

I’m *shocked* that Google would associate itself with a company named “inPODnito”.  Not only do they have “pod” in their company name, but they go out of their way to point it, flaunting Apple’s stong trademark on anything containing the word “Pod” (http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3482).

Posted by Aerofoo on August 23, 2006 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

Sad.

Why?!

Posted by chad_l on August 23, 2006 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

Slow news day?

Posted by ort on August 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM (CDT)

That’s like the ugliest crap ever. Why would anyone want that on their iPod?

Posted by rainking187 on August 23, 2006 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

flaunting Apple’s stong trademark

Apple doesn’t control the trademark rights to ‘pod’ just yet; they’ve only filed a trademark application for the word. However, how one company can take a word from the English language and now call it their own is beyond me. Leave it up to the money grubbers at the Trademark Office to do the wrong thing, especially since other companies have been using ‘pod’ in their product names LONG before Apple’s MP3 player ever existed.

What they do control is ‘iPod’, and the zdnet blog specifically cites that in their posting as being the point of legal contention Apple’s overzealous lawyers (my opinion) are shoving in everyone’s face. I’m just waiting for them to challenge one of those legacy ‘pod’ users…

Posted by flatline response on August 23, 2006 at 10:43 PM (CDT)

WHY

Posted by nojok3 on August 24, 2006 at 12:28 AM (CDT)

Why you ask? Because it’s Google of course!! *orders*

Posted by Chris on August 24, 2006 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

When you slap this on your ipod, do you magically get Google capability?  That’s the only way it would be worth anything.  I think vinyl cases are ugly and offer little or no protection.  Might as well wrap it in Saran Wrap.

Posted by Eryn on August 24, 2006 at 11:32 AM (CDT)

rainking, to answer your question “why would anyone want that on their iPod?” - maybe it’s someone who works for Google.  I know that when I used to work for Anheuser-Busch I had to wear some god-awful, butt-ugly ‘Bud Light’ jackets and hats.  Glad those days are over!

Posted by Jess on August 24, 2006 at 11:55 AM (CDT)

I’m going to hold-out for the Rolling Stone ‘zine version (hopefully without Jann Wenner’s pudgy little face on it)—or maybe the inevitable MTV one!

Posted by Pragmatist on August 24, 2006 at 4:35 PM (CDT)

I like Google, but not that much!

Posted by Matt on August 24, 2006 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

I am so sick and tired of hearing people in general whine about gazillionairs wanting to make more money.  Jeez, if you had money you would want to use some of it to make more like these companies.  (Yes its ugly and no I am not buying it but someone will.)

Posted by Kyle on August 25, 2006 at 11:03 PM (CDT)

Kyle,

“All I am saying is stop the billionaire bashing because if you were in their shoes, you would be selling shoelaces with your name on it to make an extra dollar and your lying if you say you wouldn’t.”

Surely you jest? If I had that kind of money I’d purchase my own private island and throw monthly parties while flying my guests in via my private heliports and airstrips. The last thing on my mind would be making more money…life is simply too short.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on August 26, 2006 at 9:21 PM (CDT)