Griffin announces EarJams earbud adapters | iLounge News

Griffin announces EarJams earbud adapters

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, August 27, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic

“Griffin Technology Inc, innovator of exciting hardware and software products for the Mac and iPod, today announced the Griffin EarJams. The Griffin EarJams are a totally new kind of product – they snap onto your iPod’s existing earbud-style headphones and significantly increase the bass output, volume level and comfort. The EarJams turn your existing earbuds into in-ear style headphones. A sonic enhancing cone extends the sound directly into the ear and is protected and made comfortable by slip-on soft ear pads. Three sizes of removable pads are included for the perfect individual fit. The package also includes a small canvas carrying case. The new Griffin EarJams will be shown Tuesday at Apple Expo Paris and will ship in September for just $19.99.”

« Tunewear announces Tunemax battery pack case

Lost iPod tracking service »

Comments

i bought the Sony EX71s and theyre awfully cheap for the price.  the wire is really shoddy, you twist it in your fingers it feels like its gonna break.. and it did just that.  my money is going towards a pair of Shure E2cs

Posted by duncan hepple on August 27, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Well, just from the design alone, these should signficantly enhance bass, although then it would come down to how cleanly the ipod earbuds handle the bass.

Clearly the wise thing is to wait until samples of these are obtained, and some reviews are made.

It IS possible that these could work very well, don’t you think?

Posted by Randy on August 27, 2004 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

Even if they do sound better and are more comfortable, I’m with Code Monkey, $10 maximum

Posted by obladida on August 27, 2004 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

BTW, anyone that names themselves “macs are lame” is an idiot, pure and simple, and any comments should just be disregarded out of hand.

Posted by mvague on August 27, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

I’m also one of those with the problem of earbuds not fitting in my ears, maybe this will solve things. Too bad they’ll probably reach scandinavia in 2008.

Posted by I.P. Daily on August 27, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

I’m not meaning to fan the flames of a Mac-Win war here, but to say that Macs are lame is a little shortsighted.
Apple has been doing some really interesting things with Mac OSX that Windows hasn’t caught up to and only will catch up to when Longhorn is released (the date is set for Q1 2006).  There are two main things that I’m talking about here.  The first is the adoption of an Open Source system that has already been proven to be secure and effeicient.  Also, this means that all of the programs for that system (BSD) can be ported easily to OSX, as well as programs from similar operating systems (Linux).  Microsoft will never do this because it would kill their business model and force them to release core code for free.
The second thing that Apple did that Microsoft is doing right now is a 3d accelerated desktop.  Having the GPU (graphics processing unti) deal with the graphics when you’re not playing a game is a great idea.  As it stands with Windows, the CPU does all the work when it comes to rendering the compouter’s desktop.  CPUs are general purpose processors and don’t have too many special instuctions for dealing with screen output.  GPUs, however, are made soley to put picuters on screens.  This is why the OSX desktop looks like a work of art and the XP desktop looks like a computer desktop.
Macs aren’t lame.  Almost every feature that you enjoy with Windows XP was probably inspired by something that Apple did first.
All that being said, I dual boot Windows XP and Mandrake Linux.  I’d love to have a Mac, but I can’t afford the one I want and to take out a loan for a computer would be a little lame.  Yay debt!

Posted by Alden on August 27, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

this was the other product referred to on backstage?  what a dissapointment.

Posted by chuck on August 27, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

I wouldn’t trust a product for 20$. Go with the Sony EX71s from eCost.com You can get them for 31$ there

Posted by Steve on August 27, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Is the included case big enough to fit the iPod in, or is it just a case for the earbuds?
If it fits the iPod il definately get one, but i dont see the point in putting earphones in a case.

Posted by Rich on August 27, 2004 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

The Sony EX71s also have GREAT bass responce and fit very confortably.

Posted by Steve on August 27, 2004 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

I love my Sonys but I’ll definitely give these a try, especially since as soon as they’re available, I’m sure I can just drop by a local store and pick them up.

Posted by tonton on August 27, 2004 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

No, this is not the other product mentioned on Backstage.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on August 27, 2004 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

The earbuds are the weakest link in the iPod chain.

2 of sh*t is still sh*t people.

If you dig the earpods these seem to have the most promise for helping them out. I have accepted the ugliness of my Futuresonic Ears headphones with ease because of the Head Thumping Bass I get with these magical little earbud monitors.

Posted by axis on August 27, 2004 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

I have the Sony EX71 earbuds as well, and they sound amazing.  Plus I’m one of the poor souls for whom the iPod earbuds are terribly uncomfortable, so the EX71s are a fantastic inexpensive solution.

With that said, the portion where the extension plugs in gets caught on things (desks, cargo pants’ pocket, etc.) all too often for my liking.  That ends up in a nasty surprise when the left bud gets ripped from my ear.  The iPod headphones are a great length, so I’m eager to see what the reviews say about improving the sound quality.

Plus, as much as I’d like to believe I’m above it, there is that part of me deep down that misses the attention the white cords get.  Such a guilty pleasure.

Posted by Axe Sharpener on August 28, 2004 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

thanks jeremy!  any hints on what backstage was referring to?

Posted by chuck on August 28, 2004 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Backstage

Posted by Backstage on August 28, 2004 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Cool Idea. If I had the bucks to spare, I would buy some.

Posted by BigBoned on August 28, 2004 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

If you want good affordable earbuds, get the Sharp MD33. Same price as the Sony EX71, but way better sounding. Audiocubes has them.
And I think the idea of adding on a tube thingy to existing earbuds is a ridiculously bad idea.

Posted by appelkorn on August 29, 2004 at 2:30 AM (PDT)

Agree with many of the others on here…

The headphones that come with the iPod aren’t so great to start with so snapping these on is sort of like putting bigger wheels on a toyota—it’s not going to make it perform like a ferrari.

I would definitely go for the Sony EX71 headphones in white as they are much better quality and you won’t have to worry about losing the caps. I have the EX70s in black and they are GREAT. Really nice bass.

Posted by headphonedude on August 29, 2004 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

I have the EX70s in black as well and while they do have a lot of bass, its not very well defined bass. The MD33 have lots of bass too and have way more clarity over all. And they are just as comfy as the Sonys.

Posted by appelkorn on August 29, 2004 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >