Griffin Announces iTrip Station Finder Software | iLounge News

Griffin Announces iTrip Station Finder Software

Griffin Technology has released a free OS X application for finding clear FM stations within the U.S. for use with the iTrip FM transmitter.

“This small free application assists iTrip owners in finding clear frequencies in over 200 cities and towns in the United States. [...] The new iTrip Station Finder application makes this process much easier and faster by suggesting the frequencies that have the least interference near them. [...]

The iTrip Station Finder’s city-based frequency list has been compiled by analyzing extensive data about a given metropolitan area and its current radio station offerings. Frequencies were then selected that were not only empty, but also contained adjacent clear channels. For example in Dallas, TX 102.5 is suggested for use with the iTrip. That means that not only 102.5 is clear, but 102.3 and 102.7 are clear as well.”

Press release

Griffin Announces the iTrip Station Finder application

Free software helps locate available iTrip frequencies in over 200 US cities

NASHVILLE, TN – July 24, 2003. Griffin Technology Inc, innovator of exciting hardware and software products for the Mac market, today announced the iTrip Station Finder. This small free application assists iTrip owners in finding clear frequencies in over 200 cities and towns in the United States. The iTrip FM Transmitter is of the hottest iPod accessories in the world because it allows iPod owners to play their iPod’s music in their cars or over their stereo through the FM radio. One of iTrip’s most unique features is its ability to broadcast to any FM frequency on the dial. The new iTrip Station Finder application makes this process much easier and faster by suggesting the frequencies that have the least interference near them. The iTrip Station Finder is available immediately and can be downloaded at http://www.griffintechnology.com

“Finding an open station for the iTrip in large urban areas can be very difficult – but they’re still out there. The iTrip Station Finder saves a great deal of time by suggesting possible stations to start with instead of the user looking for them like a needle in a haystack.” said Paul Griffin, Griffin Technology.

Pricing & Availability -

The iTrip Station Finder is FREE and available now for download at http://www.griffintechnology.com

The new iTrip - FM Transmitter for the new iPod is priced $35 USD and will begin shipping later this summer. Pre orders are now being accepted at the Griffin Technology website located at http://www.griffintechnology.com

The original iTrip - FM Transmitter for original iPods with the FireWire jack on top is priced $35 USD and is now available for purchase from Griffin at http://www.griffintechnology.com as well as most finer computer outlets like the Apple Store.

« Dr. Mac: BuyMusic isn’t .com-parable to Mac’s iTunes

Windows: iPod Software 1.3 Update Released »

Comments

Nice… so they give us this but delay itrips for 3G ipods. Maybe they wanted to get this out first wink

Posted by Randy Debler on July 25, 2003 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

Very nice, and of course useful for any FM transmitter.  I’m not on an OS-X machine right now; can anyone comment on the functionality of this program?

Posted by thenightfly42 on July 25, 2003 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

I useful piece of software for a useless piece of hardware.

Posted by Anon on July 25, 2003 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

That’s not what the New York Times, MacWorld Magazine, iPodlounge.com and MacAddict thought…

While not perfect, the iTrip has been generally viewed as the best FM transmitter for the iPod - period. Most criticisms of the iTrip were more a disapproval of FM transmission technology is general – not the iTrip.

The iTrip is the ‘best of breed’ for three clear undisputable reasons. 1) It mates directly on top of the iPod and is not a dongle hanging from it 2) it doesn’t require – and therefore doesn’t waste – batteries. It gets its minimal power directly from the iPod itself and 3) the iTrip can tune to ANY frequency on the dial whereas most of the competition only offers four. Plus it’s controlled directly from the iPod - the only iPod accessory in the world to do that.

So ‘nightfly’ I would suggest you better qualify you criticism next time – and give ‘credit’ when credit is due because I can tell you, there are tens of thousands of happy iTrip owners who strongly disagree with you.

Posted by Andrew on July 25, 2003 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

Sure can thenightfly42.

It is a very simple program with two columns. In column one there is a list of a lot of cities. On the right column you get a list of possibly good radio stations with the lowest frequency at the top with the list going down to the highest frequency.

I currently have a 30GB iPod, have a CenDyne FM modulator, and live in the Seattle area.

Stations for Seattle: 88.9, 89.1, 89.9, 92.1, 93.7, 94.5, 95.3, 96.9, 97.7, 98.5, 100.3, 101.1, 101.9, 102.1, 102.9, 105.7, and 107.3.

My main vehicle is a Honda GoldWing motorcycle and I thought that it was just the motorcycle radio that was the problem. But I have the same issue with my new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Going up and down the FM stations on either and I have NEVER found any frequency that doesn’t have some bleed over that doesn’t affect me trying to listen to music. Basically it acts like the iPod is stuttering but it isn’t. it’s perfect with the headphones plugged in. So it’s just a problem with the FM modulator (I’ve tried several brands but not the iTrip yet because it isn’t out for the G3 iPods.)

Now unless the iTrip has a lot more ower or somehow just a lot better way of blocking out stations that bleed over into nearby frequencies then this list isn’t very accurate. The VERY BEST I get out of the CenDyne on any FM frequency in Seattle is mediocre at best with the bleed over station making my music stutter anytime I go under a phone/power line. Since Seattle is a city this is constant unless I find some public park which has the largest square area of no power/phone lines.

So - has anyone else tried out both the CenDyne unit and an iTrip that could tell me if the iTrip for the original iPods is a lot better? I’m trying to figure out if I should just give up on wireless FM modulators or not.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

Sure can thenightfly42.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

I agree with Andrew. Though I am bummed about the delay with the 3G iTrip, I have read all the reviews and am anxious to get my preorder. The iPod is the best for personal listening… no question, but there is nothing like having 250+ cds worth of music in you car or on your home or office stereo.

Posted by Randy Debler on July 25, 2003 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

Posted by Randy Debler on July 25, 2003 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

Sure can thenightfly42.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

Sure can thenightfly42.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Sure can thenightfly42.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

OK, Sabon, I got it wink

Also, Andrew, that wasn’t me criticizing the iTrip, that was Anon in the following comment.  Nonetheless, I think the MacWhispers comparison review of four transmitters and followup discussion is probably the most comprehensive review of FM technology, and it found the AudiaX / Gruv-X to be superior in everything except style.

To me, the biggest problem with the iTrip is th channel-changing methodology, especially in long-distance driving; however, I suspect that the shipping delay for the iTrip will be for the release of Firmware 2.0.2, allowing for easier channel changing.

Personally, I use a cassette adaptor in my main vehicle, and a $9 FM transmitter from GE when in my wife’s car (no cassette).

Posted by thenightfly42 on July 25, 2003 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

thenightfly42 - I swear I didn’t post this multiple times. I don’t know what the heck happened. Apparently it hicuped because Andrews ended up posting twice.

I just clicked to post and took off to go fix someone’s IE favorites on a Losedoze XP box (I’m a Computer Systems Analyst at work) and came back and ... all this.

Posted by Sabon on July 25, 2003 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Wouldn’t it have been better to just do this on the website so that Mac & PC users could both have access to this information?

Maybe I should cancel my pre-order…

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 25, 2003 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

yea… i dont get the purpose of this “program.” why not just post it?

Posted by stasis424 on July 25, 2003 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Hi All,

Could someone please post the channels for San Diego.

Thanks

Posted by vietnamkid on July 25, 2003 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

It seems to me that the program does nothing more than read a database file embedded in it. Why they don’t post it, I have no idea.

Posted by cozzie on July 26, 2003 at 2:43 AM (PDT)

I’m on Windows—

Could someone post the stations for:
San Francisco
East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland)
Peninsula (Menlo Park-ish)?

Why didn’t they just post this?

Thanks.

Posted by TEL on July 26, 2003 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

The purpose of the program is perfect for me: when I travel, I can look up new frequencies on my PowerBook without having to go online!

Also, a general tip I’ve heard: lower or detach your car antenna to gain lots of clear fequency space. Haven’t tried it.

There are other tips included with the new Griffin app, though, in a clear and concise document. It’s worth making sure you are following the tips.

Posted by Nagromme on July 27, 2003 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

I’m on Mac OS X, but it is odd that Windows and OS 9 versions would not have been posted at the same time—and why not online as well? It’s a simple app. RealBasic or Director could have made something for all platforms.

My guess: maybe someone (in or out of Griffin) just whipped this up on their own, and it wasn’t a formal thing. But it was good, and polished, so Griffin posted it for everyone rather than withhold it.

Posted by Nagromme on July 27, 2003 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >