Griffin Announces RadioSHARK and iFire | iLounge News

Griffin Announces RadioSHARK and iFire

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 15, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

Update: Griffin has informed us that they plan to incorporate a one-click ‘transfer to iPod’ button in the software which controls the RadioSHARK.

pic

MWNY03:

Want to record your favorite radio show and take it with you on your iPod? Griffin Technology has developed the RadioSHARK AM-FM radio for OS X that can record AM, FM or Internet radio to your hard disk in AIFF format. You can then transfer the AIFF file to your iPod for listening on-the-go. The RadioSHARK features similar technology used in TiVo known as ‘time-shift’ recording which allows you to “pause a live broadcast and then return to it moments, or even hours later and continue from where you left off. You can also schedule a recording to happen while you’re away and then listen to the show at a later time.” The RadioSHARK is available for pre-ordering for $49.99 and is expected to ship at end of summer 2003.

Also announced is the iFire Amplifier and Adaptor which allows any computer with FireWire to use Apple’s Pro Speakers, including iPod. The iFire is also available for preorder for $39.99 and is expected to ship end of summer. You can see both products first-hand at booth number #240 at Macworld NY.

Press release:

GRIFFIN UNVEILS RadioSHARK AM-FM RADIO WITH TIME-SHIFT AND INTERNET RECORDING

Company Also Announces iFire Amplifier and Adaptor for Apple Pro Speakers

NEW YORK, NY – July 16, 2003. Just in time for MacWorld Creative Pro Conference and Expo in New York, Griffin Technology, Inc. announces the RadioSHARK, an AM-FM Radio with time-shift and Internet recording capabilities. Designed for Mac OS X, RadioSHARK allows users to listen to and record their favorite AM or FM radio broadcasts. RadioSHARK allows the recording of scheduled radio events or as a way of ‘pausing’ live radio, giving the listener the ability to return where they left off moments or even hours later. It can also record audio Internet streams, either scheduled or real-time, from any streaming audio application. The RadioSHARK will begin shipping this fall for $49.99. Pre-orders are being taken online at http://www.griffintechnology.com

The RadioSHARK connects to and is powered by USB. The fin-shaped device acts as the antenna and can be adjusted and positioned for best reception. Once connected, all radio tuning and control is through its full-featured front-end application. Favorite station presets can be set with the click of a mouse and new stations can be scanned and tuned with ease. The RadioSHARK application is also where you can program the RadioSHARK to record your favorite broadcast to listen to later. You may also then transfer the recorded broadcast to an iPod or any other AIFF compatible digital music player for on the go replay.

Also debuting at MacWorld Creative Pro is the iFire Amplifier and Adaptor. The iFire allows any computer with a FireWire port to connect and power the popular and stylish Apple Pro Speakers. Before the iFire was developed, the only machines that could use the Apple Pro Speakers were machines that included the Pro Speaker Connector. Now with iFire, any FireWire equipped Mac like the new PowerMac G5 and the PowerBook can use the Apple Pro Speakers. Even iPods can play directly through a pair of Apple Pro Speakers with the use of the iPod FireWire power adaptor and the iFire.

Shawn King, host of the popular Internet Radio program, Your Mac Life, says, “Griffin has done it again. Always known for making cool, stylish products, the RadioSHARK lets me listen to my favorite radio shows when it’s convenient for me and the iFire finally lets me put to use those Apple Pro Speakers that have been gathering dust in my closet.”

Both new products will be on display at the Griffin Technology booth (#240) at MacWorld Creative Pro Conference & Expo in New York July 16-18. The RadioSHARK is available for preorder for $49.99. The iFire is also available for preorder for a price of $39.99. For more information and pictures, please visit http://www.griffintechnology.com Members of the media interested in contacting Griffin Technology can do so at the email address or phone number listed below.

« XtremeMac iPod accessory clearance

BusinessWeek: The Chili Peppers’ Sour Grapes Over iTunes »

Comments

Now only if PCs had something like this… I don’t want to jump on the Mac bandwagon yet smile

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on July 15, 2003 at 11:29 PM (PDT)

ALMOST great. It doesn’t make sense to me that the thing can output only an AIFF; not only does this take up more room than an MP3 or AAC, but those compressed formats can have all sorts of useful info in the tags, like recording date, station, etc. Maybe next software update?

Posted by Adrian on July 16, 2003 at 4:19 AM (PDT)

i’m sure that direct AAC or mp3 encoding will be forthcoming….

but i pre-ordered this the moment i saw it.  I have been waiting for this for almost 10 years… i work in a vault, and there is basically no radio in there.  I’ll finally get to hear Jim Rome and Michael Savage on my iPod while working out… this is the best invention EVER!!!

and honestly… could you tell me a less useful ability than timshifting FM radio? (other than for howard stern?)

Posted by luke on July 16, 2003 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

Holy crap! $50?!  When you can buy an FM card from Amazon for $8?

Even better, just hook up a regular tuner to your line in on your PC and record using tons of pre-existing software. You’d need to use a scheduler to regularly record broadcasts and leave the radio on.

I mean, it’s nice to have the scheduler, recorder, and tuner all wrapped into one. But for $50 and Mac-only support? Sheesh.

Posted by Greg on July 16, 2003 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

To comment on above:

MP3 is a codec you must license for inclusion in software packages, hence, no MP3. From what I hear, the yearly prices for use of MP3 ain’t cheap.

Also, this is far better than an FM card on the PC, or using a line-in to encode. The missing link in that simple solution is the software that will record the right shows at the right times (switching from station to station at the set times). You can’t do that with a line-in and leaving the radio on.

I’m sold. I’ve preordered mine! I have big plans to set up automation via folder actions and applescript to get my favorite shows onto my iPod daily!

Posted by Nicholas Howard on July 16, 2003 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Although, I just realized that recording a radio broadcast, transferring it onto my iPod, and then using my iTrip to broadcast back to radio just seems so wrong!  wink

Posted by Nicholas Howard on July 16, 2003 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Nicholas, that has to be the funniest thing I have ever read!  You’re right, that does seem very wrong…

Product looks cool though.  I always wanted something like this.  I wonder if this does/could integrate with iTunes at all.  It would sure make since to be able to control, set playlists, etc real radio stations in the same way you can with internet radio.

Posted by Sven on July 16, 2003 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

I’m lost… this looks like the most useless item. I have NEVER wanted to “tape” anything off the radio! Infact, thanks to my iPod, I never listen to the radio anymore.

By the way ya’ll, what is the best FM transmitter out there? iTrip, iRock, etc…?

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on July 17, 2003 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

>>this looks like the most useless item. I have NEVER wanted to “tape” anything off the radio!

Funny, I was thinking exactly the opposite! This is something that I’ve wanted for ages. There’s a wealth of quality talk-radio shows over here in Los Angeles that I’d love to be able to listen to at my leisure. For example, Love Line is on from 10 - midnight during the week, but I’m rarely in my car then… would love to be able to listen to it during my 8 a.m. commute…

Posted by Nicholas Howard on July 17, 2003 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

I guess I wasn’t thinking about specific shows. Makes sense now. There’s not a lot of radio show I listen to in Los Angeles.

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on July 17, 2003 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Nicholas, I tried emailing you offline about your comment, “From what I hear, the yearly prices for use of MP3 ain’t cheap.” I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you heard. I am doing research on these kinds of costs for a product we have developed. Thanks. Michael Hanes

Posted by GoodSound on July 17, 2003 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

I just downloaded WireTap from Ambrosia for free and am recording NPR right now. In AIFF, but I will convert later in iTunes. Now for the free tuner…

Posted by GoodSound on July 18, 2003 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

Thank goodness.  Now I can timeshift and listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Posted by Obadiah on July 18, 2003 at 4:41 AM (PDT)

Why the #### would anyone want to listen to moronic fucktards like Rush Limbaugh or Michael Savage?

Posted by iPodder on July 19, 2003 at 10:36 PM (PDT)

Good idea, but a lot of mp3 players plug directly into earphone sockets and record, is there any way of doing that with an iPod?

Posted by David on August 16, 2004 at 8:22 AM (PDT)