Griffin announces RoadTrip 3-in-1 Transmitter, Charger and Cradle for docking iPods | iLounge News

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 12, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic

“Griffin Technology Inc, innovator of exciting accessories for the Apple iPod, today announced the Griffin RoadTrip, an all in one iPod charger, FM transmitter, and cradle in one compact unit. The Griffin RoadTrip allows you to play your iPod or iPod mini’s music through your car’s FM stereo, while simultaneously charging and positioning the unit for easy access. The RoadTrip also features a detachable Transmitter Module and cable that can broadcast users’ Mac or PC music to any FM stereo. The new Griffin RoadTrip retails for $79.99 and will begin shipping September 1. Customers can preorder a RoadTrip at http://www.griffintechnology.com now and soon at the Apple Store.”

« Mac/Windows: iPod Updater 2004-08-06 released

User Group meeting a great success »

Comments

I wonder what “high powered” means.  I like my iTrip currently, but the unfortunated reality is that in my car, the only way I can get decent radio reception from the iTrip is by stuffing it (along with the iPod) above my visor (apparently the antenna wiring routes along with the rear view mirror wiring).

While that works, and it’s even reasonably secure (so far), I don’t want any more weight there, and I definately don’t want a power cord running up to it.  But I still need a charging solution (the iTrip sucks down battery fast).

If this would have enough additional RF output to let me keep the thing down by my console and still get a clear signal, I’d buy one in a minute.

Posted by Chuck Lawson on August 12, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

I may just have to get this thing.

Posted by Faramir on August 12, 2004 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

I like the functions, but this thing is fugly!!!!

Posted by rilhouse on August 12, 2004 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

If this is as bad as the previous DLO products (which this appears to be with a Griffin logo on it - so much for their innovation level), this one’s bound to be a dud as well. It’s extremely heavy, and has a tank-like bulk. I was expecting more from Griffin.

Posted by wired on August 12, 2004 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

I’ve always been impressed with the looks of the iTrip - I’m sorry to say, but this thing looks cheap.

Posted by -jcs on August 12, 2004 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

where do you put the “holder”...on the floor or does it “hang” off of the lighter.  Can the holder hold an ipod in an easycase?

Posted by stu schwartz on August 12, 2004 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Title for this article/news is incorrect. The RoadTrip is only available for 3G/4G iPods and the mini.

Posted by kainjow on August 12, 2004 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Buying a 4G 20 gig this weekend. Looking forward to seeing a review of this little monster soon. Yes, iPodLounge?

Posted by customkahuna on August 12, 2004 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

When is Griffin coming out with a am-fm
radio in the same style as the itrip-italk?
Is there something illegal to make a product of this nature? This seems like
everyone is ignoring this must have for
the ipod!What gives?

Posted by iQpod in Toronto,Canada on August 12, 2004 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

Personally, I don’t think the demand for an AM-FM radio warrants the cost of product development.  Personally, I have not seriously listened to the radio once since I got my iPod.  Why should I?  I have over 2000 of my favourite songs at my disposal.

I acknowledge that some people would enjoy am/fm functionality, but I would hardly call it a “must have” item.  Most people would probably not want to take along yet another iPod accessory just to listen to the radio.

Posted by Cameron on August 12, 2004 at 9:10 PM (PDT)

the frequency that AM transmits on is much lower than that of FM, and as such, transmitting anything other than voice [non-complex sound] doesn’t sound very good. That’s why AM stations are more often than not talk-back, and FM are more music based. Because of this, it is highly unlikely that anyone would make an AM transmitter for an mp3 player.
kainjow, the title says “docking iPods”. that implies 3/4G and minis in its own right.

Lastly, i agree. This thing looks clunky and not particularly elegant. a big change from the usual griffin products [almost all of which look AWESOME]

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on August 12, 2004 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

Tip for iTrip users in areas with cluttered airwaves: lower or remove your car’s external antenna.

Posted by Nagromme on August 12, 2004 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

surely they could have made a more sleek, compact design. this is griffin not some botch company churning out lower end products. everybody loves there car and their ipod. why spoil both with this ugly hunka-chunka?

expansiondesigns.deviantart.com

Posted by bart on August 13, 2004 at 4:25 AM (PDT)

This thing is pretty sweet… It has everything you could want for your ipod/car solution in one.

Awesome.

Posted by Eric on August 13, 2004 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

At least until some tweaker rips it off maybe.

For me, an $80 price point starts to make a “line-out” pigtail connector to a stock deck look do-able.

Posted by JP on August 13, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Im a little frustrated to see this come out today since I ordered both a powerpod and an iTrip earlier this week and they have both shipped.  Oh well, hopefully I will be just as satisfied with those two as I would be with this oversized block o’ toys.

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on August 13, 2004 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

If only there was a simple way for me to get a direct connection to my radio in my 2003 accord without having to tear up my console and play with the wiring.  Its a little annoying to say the least.

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on August 13, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

Well, since this is from Griffin you can expect that it will not ship for a long time.  Griffin has a long history of being way behind on the ship dates.  I am still waiting for the RadioShark which I pre-ordered over 8 months ago!!!!  I have been calling for months and everytime they say it will only be a couple more weeks…blah blah blah.

Posted by Pre-order, shmeeorder on August 13, 2004 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

Robbiesan, I feel your pain.  I’ve got a 2003 Corolla, and no easy-access love for my iPod.  Living in San Francisco makes the whole FM transmitter thing a pain.

Posted by Jen on August 14, 2004 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

Man this thing is bulky and just plain ugly! I love my itrip. I have a 98 honda civic living in Los Angeles. It works perfectly. Plus this device is only for the car…i rather have the itrip and be able to play in anywhere.

Posted by jdoc on August 14, 2004 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >