Griffin bundles cassette adapter with TuneFlex | iLounge News

Griffin bundles cassette adapter with TuneFlex

image

Griffin Technology has announced that its TuneFlex car dock/charger for the iPod nano now comes bundled with a cassette tape adapter. “The TuneFlex package now provides a complete solution for charging, mounting and playing iPod nano in an automobile,” says Griffin. “Simply plug the cassette adapter into TuneFlex’s 1/8” stereo line-out jack, and slip the cassette into the auto’s tape deck.” The TuneFlex features a flexible steel neck, pass-through dock connector, and plugs into any standard 12 Volt accessory outlet to power and charge the iPod. The TuneFlex bundle sells for $50.

« Analyst: Q3 iPod sales could be slightly below estimates

Mix: Steve Jobs, Macy’s, Walkman phone, CNET »

Comments

Wonder if they’ll be making one for the 5G?

Posted by fondy44 on May 22, 2006 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

Amazing how many of these so-called “tech” companies are so dependant upon iPod. ‘Cassette Adapter’...how 1980s. And headphone jack as “line out” jack…novel (or not).

Gee…cassette tape…do they still make those?

Hardly high-“tech”. “Leech” seems like a more apt word, but what do I know?

Posted by flatline response on May 22, 2006 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

there are a heck of a lot of cars which still have a cassette deck installed, so a cassette adapter is a decent cheap everyman way to patch into the stereo system.  FM converters s*ck in a big city or when traveling.

Sure a dedicated input would be better quality, but most folks have no desire in spending the money or time necessary to futz around with such stuff.  Those same folks generally couldn’t tell the audio difference either.

Posted by goodgrief on May 22, 2006 at 2:15 PM (CDT)

“Clearly Griffin isn’t marketing this product to self-important audio dweebs like flatline response.”

Exactly.  I mean, look at Griffin’s most famous product: the iTrip.  It is a product that sells because of its simplicity and effectiveness, not because it has great audio transmission.  The cassette adapter is in the similar thread.  They sell because they work for the everyman.

Posted by lebkin on May 22, 2006 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

I like this offering.

You see, I am about to embark on a road trip around the country to see everything I have always wanted to see.  I have a 1996 Subaru with a stock stereo system- which includes, you guessed it, a cassette deck.  Now I don’t want to waste a ton of money buying a new deck/ cables /etc. just so I can hook up my iPod.

And another thing- Griffin had to do this- people are beginning to realize that FM transmitters absolutely suck.  I tried one and I hated it.

Posted by roadtrippin' on May 22, 2006 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

I love the mounting part of this alone. Having the output jack will work for me. How about a 5G model, Griffin. FM Modulators don’t work well. The cassette adapter is more practical for many cars. I do have a AUX in on my car.

Posted by Kent Teffeteller on May 25, 2006 at 10:44 AM (CDT)