Griffin debuts iFill Internet Radio recorder | iLounge News

Published: Saturday, June 18, 2005
News Categories: Mac Software

Griffin Technology iFill

Griffin Technology iFill

Griffin Technology iFill

Griffin Technology iFill

imageAs first reported by German web site iPodfun.de, Griffin Technology has used MacExpo in Germany to publicly debut iFill ($19.99), new software that records Internet Radio broadcasts to an iPod - a concept described by Griffin as timeshifting of Internet Radio. “iFill is the perfect way to fill your 60 GB iPod with an incredible array of of music from thousands of Internet Radio stations around the world,” explained Paul Griffin, President, Griffin Technology. “iPod users have needed a way to sample a wide variety of music and programming. iFill ‘fills’ this need and also makes it a snap to purchase the music they like.”

Under development for some time, iFill is capable of recording multiple radio stations at once, automatically splitting each broadcast into tagged MP3 or AAC format songs. As its name suggests, it will continue to record until your iPod is filled with as much new music as you desire. iFill includes an easy-to-use interface that is independent from iTunes, yet incorporates all of its key features - including one surprise.

Concerned about the potential for music piracy, Griffin has incorporated music industry-friendly safeguards. iFill will not operate without an iPod attached to your computer, and will save songs only to the iPod, not your computer. Additionally, after automatically identifying a song’s artist and title, iFill’s “Songs on iPod” list will include a direct iTunes Music Store link (“little round arrows in the list view”) so that you can easily purchase a full, clean version to replace the imperfect one recorded from radio.

Currently available as a one-week demo for Mac OSX 10.3 and 10.4 users only, iFill will be released for Macs in July. A version is also under development for Windows PCs, and is planned for release in August.

« ‘BadApple’ brings podcast features to iTunes

Independence Day DecoDock announced »

Comments

Andreas
Radiolover is SO easy nad you get the benefit of listening from iTunes (and you can cut out bits you do not want via an editor)
via Shoutcast.com listen in on a stream, it automatically opens up in iTunes drag it into Radiolover and record. It creates a folder called Radiolover, sync with iPod. How time consuming is that compared to the limit of this software ??

Posted by Rugby on June 20, 2005 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

Freebird

search for PC software on http://www.versiontracker.com

Posted by Rugby on June 20, 2005 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

Funny, I emailed the TotalRecorder people (http://www.highcriteria.com) only last week, asking if they could add a feature to add captured streams into iTunes automatically. This would provide similar functionality to this (though probably not for multiple programs at once).

They said they’d consider it for a future release but I’m not holding my breath

Posted by PhilB on June 20, 2005 at 3:56 AM (PDT)

Rugby
I’m not saying that Radiolover isn’t easy. It is. But I am usually in a hurry when I leave my mac so I don’t want to wait the extra minutes to sync the files to my iPod that I just recorded. iFill is more one-click for me. I ran it yesterday night and all I did today in the morning was to eject the iPod in the finder…

And all I want is some new music on my iPod every day - I don’t *want* those files on my Mac, only on my iPod. With Radiolover I have to manage/delete old files and make sure that I always have enough hd space :-(

I also love to listen to a radio station while I record two other stations without the need to open more than one app.

Don’t get me wrong. Radiolover (and a couple of others) are nice programs but I really like iFill. It feels more integrated and mac like…

Posted by Andreas on June 20, 2005 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

I hope we radioSHARK owners get it for free.  I bought it to record FM radio, but I had the impression that it could also record Internet rado.  (That issue was so confusing that it is one of the few FAQ’s on the radioSHARK support site.)

Hey, you know who Griffin ought to get to be the spokesperson for this product?  Gwen Ifill of PBS’ “Washington Week.”

Posted by macFanDave on June 20, 2005 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

Andreas
fair enough ; ) if it works for you great…
I see your point, we all use our pods and software different way (I am just automatically against every software trying to Copy protect everything…)

Posted by Rugby on June 20, 2005 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Thought I’d note that it seems that using any of the shareware apps that let you copy music from an iPod to iTunes, you can defeat iFill’s copying restrictions. I tried it with Senuti, and it worked without a hitch.

iFill puts all its recorded tunes in a playlist on te iPod named, strangely, “iFill”. That playlist and its contents show up clearly in Senuti.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on June 20, 2005 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Well, I think I’m being quite unlucky with iFill. Now that it finally works, it trashed my iPod! iTunes says I need to restore the system software.

I repaired it with disk utility, no luck. Senuti can read it fine though, so I saved the iFill songs to my HD.

I’m sure this is due to some little stupid file that got corrupted but can’t find any info about the problem…

Posted by Jorge on June 20, 2005 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

Same problem here Jorge. It crashed while recording and then iTunes said it was unreadable and I has to restore it. It thrashed the iTunesDB file in /Volumes/[your-ipod]iPod_Control/iTunes/ - too bad. Luckily I had a backup of my files. So everyone - pleaaaase be careful with this program. If you don’t have backup then you are screwed !

Posted by Jes Kasper Klittum on June 21, 2005 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

From what I read here, it’s either iFill or iTunes.  Do they really think I’d have to think about it?  Nevermind.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 21, 2005 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

Anyone have issues with the files simply not playing on the pod? Records fine;plays on the mac fine via iTunes and iFill ...unplug and try to play and it skips through the files as if it can’t read them.

Posted by michael on June 21, 2005 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

iFill is great but now I have a little meaningless problem: ITUNES WON’T RECOGNIZE MY IPOD PHOTO!!!

I know it was iFill ‘cause it’s the only thing that I used with the iPod since yesterday. And now I have this ‘iTunes can’t recognize the iPod, please use iPod Software Restore… to restore the iPod to factory settings’ warning.

Is this iFill release some kind of beta-sort-of-thing?

Posted by misael on June 21, 2005 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Anyone with a corrupt iTunesDB can send me a copy of it (best if compressed to avoid additional changes to it) to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

iFill went through a intensive testing phase and I cannot reproduce any db corruptions anymore. So I am interested in getting examples to fix any potential bugs.

Also: if your iPod does not play the songs then it might be a stream format that is not mp3 - iFill only supports mp3-cbr right now and it updates the db saying the songs are mp3-cbr which will probably make your iPod skip the songs if they are not mp3-cbr (i.e. if they are aac or mp3-vbr).

Posted by Pardeike on June 21, 2005 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

can anyone post a stream that is known to work?  i’m about 0 and 8 on selecting streams in mp3-cbr.

Posted by michael on June 21, 2005 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

I have been using RadioRecorder to record all my I streams.  It creates a playlist in iTunes, lables your recordings as you wish, but I’m not sure about multiple (simotaniously) recordings.  Sure it’s not a 1 button setup, but after a few options, it’s done. forever.  My mom’s Shuffle is set up to import the lastest recordings from the radiorecorder playlist.  All she has to do is plug in her shuffle.  O-ya, one more thing.. radio recorder is free.

Posted by morgan on June 21, 2005 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

I’m having the same problem Michael, none of the stuff I record will play back on my iPod.  You would think that all of the streams offered in iFill would all be 100% compatible…

Posted by Katie on June 22, 2005 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

I take my earlier comments back.  This is great.  Now I don’t have to listen to regular radio AT ALL!  I can set iFill to download current hits from several genres, and listen to them at my leisure—nothing censored.  If I hear something I like, I buy.

Atlanta radio is full of fluff, celebrity hype, and dumb DJs.  This is a Godsend.

BTW, it works perfectly for me.  4G/20GB.

Cool indeed.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 22, 2005 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Somehow iFill’s adding music to the iPod without going through iTunes.  I hope Apple doesn’t cripple this in iTunes 4.9, like they did Harmony.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 22, 2005 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Yeah, my iPod can’t play the music recorded with iFill either.  It just stops for a second or two on each song, then moves on to the next—not playing a bit of music.  And iFill has stopped on the spinning beachball of death a few times.

I think this app should be considered Beta—too many bugs.  Too bad, ‘cause I like the simple interface.

Posted by Chapps on June 22, 2005 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Looks like songs are cutoff before they are complete. Anyone having this problem?

Posted by Joel on June 25, 2005 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >