Griffin debuts iPod flashlight, laser pointer add-ons | iLounge News

Griffin debuts iPod flashlight, laser pointer add-ons

Griffin Technology has quietly introduced iBeam, a set of two small iPod attachments that turn the music player into a flashlight or a class IIIA laser pointer. The iBeam sells for $19.99 and will begin shipping by the end of October. Both accessories come with a protective snap-on cap that can be attached to any keychain.

“The iBeam flashlight is surprisingly functional when a quick beam of light is required in a dark car or doorstep. The iBeam laser pointer is an amazingly powerful red laser beam that is capable of being seen over a quarter of a mile away. Need we say how much fun this could be?”

« Windows: RemoteAmp 2.0 released

Save $30 or $50 on Alpine iPod Interface »

Comments

Why would anyone want this ?

Posted by iHuman on September 24, 2004 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

Now that is a dumb and futile idea, honestly….c’mon

What’s next, the iEggbeater ?

Posted by Ipodium in montreal on September 24, 2004 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

Whatever happened to the iRemote? There were rumors previously that Griffin had been developing one for the iPod, but decided not to release it.

I guess that these might be the next logical step - if they sell well, then maybe we might see an iRemote. However, as I see no real need to have a laser or a penlight on my iPod, I’m not sure what Griffin is trying to do.

Posted by Nick on September 24, 2004 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

You mean the PodMate? I think I read somewhere that Apple told them they couldn’t sell it for some reason… see pic/info at iPoding

I think this little iBeam thing is cool… might buy one just to annoy random people smile

Posted by kainjow on September 24, 2004 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

Well compared to some accessories, at least this one is SOMEWHAT useful.

Posted by Dave on September 24, 2004 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

Well, I suppose if you attach the ‘frickin laser to the ‘frickin iPod and attach the ‘frickin iPod to the heads of some ‘frickin sharks, then yes, it would be kind of cool. Otherwise….  no.

Posted by tinaa on September 24, 2004 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

Marketing never ceases to amaze me—

“The snap-on flashlight is great for finding keys in the dark.
...
Both units come with a snap-on protective cap that can be attached to any keychain for convenient portability and accessibility.”

Posted by dethbrakr on September 24, 2004 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

A new low…

Posted by Redux on September 24, 2004 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

Possibly the silliest iPod accessory ever… Put me down for two of them!

Posted by Jerry on September 24, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

wow.. has nothing to do with an iPod in any way except it uses the iPod’s power…

still fun wink

Posted by Prashant on September 24, 2004 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

the flashlight is probably weaker than the ipod’s backlight.

Posted by AlphaUltima in San Jose on September 24, 2004 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

wth are you haters talking about….THIS IS SO COOL!!!! One of the more useful accesary I think.

Posted by WaSAi-mikE on September 24, 2004 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

hah…I already tote around the iTrip and iTalk, I might as well take these along as well lol

Posted by lol on September 24, 2004 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

Posted by lol on September 24, 2004 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

*yawns*

Posted by gizmoe on September 25, 2004 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

some of u must be to old to appreciate such toys lol

Posted by jc on September 25, 2004 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

what is the point??? surely if you have one of these on your keyring you might as well have a real laser pointer or torch instead?

Posted by why?? on September 25, 2004 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

Buy a laser pointer just as good and costs less that you can use without it hooked up to your iPod…

Posted by dan on September 25, 2004 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

How long before someone points the laser at someone else “just to annoy them”?

Class IIIa laser warning -
“Direct viewing of the Class IIIa laser beam could be hazardous to the eyes. Do not view the Class IIIa laser beam directly. Do not point a Class IIIa laser beam into another persons eyes.”

I fail to see the point of these two gadgets - but then I have torches all over the house…

Posted by MadPict in UK on September 25, 2004 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

I love pointless gadgets. But for the love of god, when is someone going to actually USE this? Griffin makes some great projects, so I’m wondering whose pet project is this that it got pushed through. These things are ridiculous.

Posted by BigWhiteHeadphonesLover on September 25, 2004 at 5:27 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »