Griffin debuts iPod flashlight, laser pointer add-ons | iLounge News

Griffin debuts iPod flashlight, laser pointer add-ons

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 24, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

Griffin Technology has quietly introduced iBeam, a set of two small iPod attachments that turn the music player into a flashlight or a class IIIA laser pointer. The iBeam sells for $19.99 and will begin shipping by the end of October. Both accessories come with a protective snap-on cap that can be attached to any keychain.

“The iBeam flashlight is surprisingly functional when a quick beam of light is required in a dark car or doorstep. The iBeam laser pointer is an amazingly powerful red laser beam that is capable of being seen over a quarter of a mile away. Need we say how much fun this could be?”

« Windows: RemoteAmp 2.0 released

Save $30 or $50 on Alpine iPod Interface »

Comments

Laser pointer is a good idea for presentations and so forth.

Posted by ThisGuy on September 27, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Why not? If you want a portable laser or flashlight on your keychain, this lets it be smaller by using your iPod’s power. A tiny thing, always on hand ready to be attached to your iPod in case you need it.

Sounds good to me.

Posted by Nagromme on September 27, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

20 bucks for an led…sign me up!

Posted by tetro on September 27, 2004 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Nagromme, most of them use watch batteries and last a ridiculously long amount of time even with those. The power supply doesn’t affect the size. Being able to hold it comfortably does. I suppose the ipod serves ok as a handle. It still seems like a pretty stupid add-on though. And 20 bucks for an LED flashlight that doesn’t even have its own power supply when I can get one of a similar size for 5 bucks that does is a little silly.

Posted by JC on September 27, 2004 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

How do you listen to the iPod while using these?

Oh, you can’t.  Gotcha.

wtf?

Posted by meh on September 27, 2004 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

These things are cool as he11.  You people suck, and I am going to point my class IIIA iLaser in your eyes.

Posted by Luke on September 27, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

my god, that german guy has the same bed covers than me

Posted by me on September 27, 2004 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

JC, this is a LED Flashlight AND a laser pointer WITH a rechargeable battery for only $20 which is an incredible deal (although, granted the battery did cost me over $300).

Posted by JamesK on September 27, 2004 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

In dark situations, I use the iPods backlight.  It’s helped out a lot in times of need.  Like when the power goes out and it’s pitch black and i’m looking for a flashlight.  The iPod’s backlight illuminates the whole room.

Posted by Joseph on September 27, 2004 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

Wow, I can’t wait until they release the iBrush.  I hate moving my hand to brush my teeth.

Posted by TheDapperDon on September 27, 2004 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

I use the backlight as a flashlight - bright enough for me when I’m stumbling around in the dark, listening to tunes, but whatever trips your trigger….. or in my case, whatever lights my cigar….

Posted by Bill Clinton on September 28, 2004 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

imagine how “iDicoteque” would look like.. now that would be a really cool accessory..

Posted by mark on September 28, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

I mean diScoteque of course… :S

Posted by mark on September 28, 2004 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

should look something like this: http://www.vlagfx.net/idiscoteque.jpg
smile

Posted by mark on September 28, 2004 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

Talking about griffin. What ever happened to the Radio Shark? I keep emailing them and they keep saying “it will ship in a couple of weeks”. Well a couple of weeks pass and nothing ships.

Posted by Ron21 on September 28, 2004 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

notMe: LOL. Awesome post. You sure have the marketing lingo down.

Posted by guppi on September 28, 2004 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

This might have a use as a battery conditioner, to fully dischage the iPod’s battery.

Posted by blueridge on September 28, 2004 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

There are enough useless cases. So its about time they developed somthing for us to tick people off with.

Posted by WOLF MAN on September 29, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Our landlady refuses to put a light outside the door or in the vestibule (light bulbs use electricity, she tells me). It’s dark as a crypt when I get home—can’t see my keys, can’t see the lock, DARK! I keep saying I need to get one of those keychain lights but always forget. I do always have my ipod on me.

So for me, this gadget might actually be the most useful thing I own when I get home at night.

Posted by this might be just what i need believe it or not on October 1, 2004 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

This is interesting, but ultimately frivolous…

Wonder how much it will drain the already-debated battery life…

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 5, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >