Griffin debuts iTalkPro stereo microphone for 5G iPods | iLounge News

Griffin debuts iTalkPro stereo microphone for 5G iPods

image

Griffin Technology has provided iLounge with exclusive photos and details on iTalkPro, the company’s brand new high-quality recording accessory for fifth-generation iPods. Substantially redesigned from the company’s earlier, popular iTalks for 3G and 4G iPods, the glossy black iTalkPro now boasts twin internal microphones for recording in CD-quality stereo, taking advantage of the 5G iPod’s superior stereo and monaural sampling modes, and a bold red recording light around its one-touch recording button. It also features a unique on-screen gain adjustment menu and a bottom-mounted port for an external microphone of your choice. Predictably, the new iTalk connects to the 5G iPod’s bottom Dock Connector, and is not compatible with earlier iPods. A release date and pricing have yet to be announced.

According to Griffin, iTalkPro will be able to record for 3.5 continuous hours on a fully-charged 60GB fifth-generation iPod, or 1.5 hours on a 30GB model before the battery runs out, a limitation based largely on the 5G iPod’s need to spin its hard drive all the time during recording. These recording times also assume that the iPod has sufficient hard drive space for recording; Apple’s firmware saves files in high-bitrate WAV format rather than in compressed MP3 or AAC.

Like Griffin’s iTrip for iPod nano, iTalkPro adds its own on-iPod settings menu to eliminate the need for additional buttons or switches on its body. The menu allows you to switch between “low gain,” “high gain,” and “automatic” gain modes to provide “optimum recording in any situation.”

image

« Attorneys: iPod maximum volume update not good enough

Apple vs. Apple trial begins »

Comments

Hell Yes! I have been waiting for this!

Posted by Hayden on March 29, 2006 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

gess! i want it now!!! i want it now!!! I really need this for my classes!

Posted by dorian on March 29, 2006 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

I’ve been waiting for this since the 5th gen came out and even more so when I got my iPod.  Does anyone know if it will accept external microphones?  I see a jack on it but the connector looks like that of the EarThumps, hopefully it will be a combination in/out.  As soon as this comes out my list of griffin products will grow to three.

Posted by Mark Fleser on March 29, 2006 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

They may release this product sometime before Christmas.

Posted by ptzink on March 29, 2006 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

How much longer must we wait for a 5G mic. I keep hearing announcements but no firm dates!!!!!!

Posted by T.S. on March 29, 2006 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Hopefully it will be designed to snap on even through a case, e.g. an iSkin. The old iTalk would not completely connect through an iSkin, and I’d have to remove at least the top portion of the case to snap the iTalk into place.

Posted by Tom on March 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Comment #3…

The article says it has a mic port.

Posted by chris on March 29, 2006 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

blah blah blah, the third such device announced and no one has yet to even play like one is coming soon. Worst of all, Griffin is notorious for year long waiting periods between announcement and product release. I am dying to get a recorder for my 5G, by the time Belkin Xtreme or Griffin releases their recording device I would give 10:1 odds there will be a new iPod. It is not even on Griffin’s website and usually things hit their website 4-6 months before release. Then they usually ship a few months after the projected release date. I would love to get excited, but I believe that I will be attaching a new high quality recording accessory to my 7G iPod the way things are going.

Posted by divigation on March 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

FINALLY!  A bone…

Griffin, I forgive you for the bland looking stuff you’ve been putting out lately.  It appears all the good people were working on this.  THIS LOOKS SWEET!

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 29, 2006 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

there is no way those cheep itty bitty little mics are going to make recording at a higher quality worth while. it would benice to see someone release something with a basic meter and some sor of basic manual gain adjustment.

Posted by t_sun on March 29, 2006 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

Well, looks nice. Xtrememac has a product available already though. I don’t know what it’s worth.

Posted by fanandel on March 30, 2006 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

When it comes to recordng, I think I will wait for the new Sony RH1 minidisc that is coming out this summer.  If you want to check it out, there are several features to look forward to on that…iPod for playback and for recording, leave that to minidisc.

Posted by Oliver on March 30, 2006 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

My digital recording device is smaller than the ipod, has a high gain microphone, has voice activated recording, records for 8 hours on 2 AAA batteries.  32 hours on low quality although the batteries only last 8 hours.  The files can be downloaded to the computer.

Posted by Eric on March 30, 2006 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

Does it have an external speaker like the old iTalks?

Posted by Justin on March 30, 2006 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Eric-
in Comment 13, it sounds like you have a digital recording device I’d like to buy!
what exactly is it, and does it transfer files to a OS X machine?

Posted by jexcel on March 30, 2006 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

hi gain? what is this hi gain that you speak of. sounds like none of you know what you are talking about. this does sound like a good product for doing quick memos on the go and such, but for recording on the go i just wished it supported phantom powered condensor mics. hi gain. ha

Posted by krister on March 30, 2006 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

while this may not be for audiophiles, it’s a quick and easy solution for people recording lectures, interviews etc. it sounds like it will hopefully record better than previous iPods. it seems some people swith the iPod to linux just to get the better quality recording ability.

it’s odd it is taking sooo long for recording on the 5G iPods. maybe the market for iPod recording devices does not warrant top priority R&D? maybe there is some technical issue?

Posted by otto on March 30, 2006 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

Even just 3.5 hours of recording time sounds unrealistic with an iPod spinning its disk continuously. I’ll be interested in seeing what reality looks like once this product actually launches.

Posted by wired in L.A. on March 30, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Yeah but! ...am I gonna be able to hook it into a sound desk and record our gigs at 44.1 KHz ?? cos I wanna!!!?

Posted by Shane on April 1, 2006 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

If Griffin Reads this PLEASE I WANT IT NOW!!!!

I WANT IT I NEED IT I GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA HAVE IT!!!

Did I tell you how much I love my Ipod Today!

I have to tell everyone that I have ADD and this Ipod has completely changed my life!  I use Outlook to keep all my calenders and contacts and Its like having a friend in my pocket to remind me of all the things I always forget!  Since I got my Ipod my life has improved 10 fold (Plus I love the video feature and never missing my desperate housewives)

If you know someone with ADD Consider getting them or at least telling them about the Ipod Video!!!

I need a voice recorder for my to do list and shopping list!!!

Posted by Amy on April 3, 2006 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >