Griffin debuts iTalkPro stereo microphone for 5G iPods | iLounge News

Griffin debuts iTalkPro stereo microphone for 5G iPods

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, March 29, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Griffin Technology has provided iLounge with exclusive photos and details on iTalkPro, the company’s brand new high-quality recording accessory for fifth-generation iPods. Substantially redesigned from the company’s earlier, popular iTalks for 3G and 4G iPods, the glossy black iTalkPro now boasts twin internal microphones for recording in CD-quality stereo, taking advantage of the 5G iPod’s superior stereo and monaural sampling modes, and a bold red recording light around its one-touch recording button. It also features a unique on-screen gain adjustment menu and a bottom-mounted port for an external microphone of your choice. Predictably, the new iTalk connects to the 5G iPod’s bottom Dock Connector, and is not compatible with earlier iPods. A release date and pricing have yet to be announced.

According to Griffin, iTalkPro will be able to record for 3.5 continuous hours on a fully-charged 60GB fifth-generation iPod, or 1.5 hours on a 30GB model before the battery runs out, a limitation based largely on the 5G iPod’s need to spin its hard drive all the time during recording. These recording times also assume that the iPod has sufficient hard drive space for recording; Apple’s firmware saves files in high-bitrate WAV format rather than in compressed MP3 or AAC.

Like Griffin’s iTrip for iPod nano, iTalkPro adds its own on-iPod settings menu to eliminate the need for additional buttons or switches on its body. The menu allows you to switch between “low gain,” “high gain,” and “automatic” gain modes to provide “optimum recording in any situation.”

image

« Attorneys: iPod maximum volume update not good enough

Apple vs. Apple trial begins »

Comments

OMGWTF

Posted by wired in L.A. on April 3, 2006 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

I reckon we’re just not going to see this product or the Belkin equivalent for months and months, if at all.  It seems pretty set in stone from the strength of the rumours that we’re getting close to the next Ipod release, the next gen video Ipod.  When that happens the accessory market will naturally swing towards the latest and greatest.  It seems completely ridiculous that 6 months after the 5G release, the first Ipod to “offer” 44.1khz recording, we still don’t have the capability to do that.  Where are the accessories?  I emailed Belkin and asked about release dates for their Ipod recorder, and they said April.  I would bet my 60gb Ipod that we don’t see it in April.  I reckon closer to Christmas if we’re lucky.  They’re missing out on a huge market here, in my opinion.  But then again, I can’t pretend to know all the business factors involved, and I’m sure Griffin and Belkin are doing quite nicely thankyou.

Posted by Ian on April 10, 2006 at 12:50 AM (PDT)

I got an email from XtremeMac this morning, stating that the micromemo is in production and they expect to begin selling it “in May.”

Posted by Adam on April 17, 2006 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Griffin, however, wrote me this morning to say that they “have not yet been given a release date.”

Posted by Juneappal on April 18, 2006 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

Ok well I have been waiting for a product like this but it will look dumb on my white ipod.  May?  I have had my ipod since Christmas….. and the audio recording was the feature I wanted to utilize most of all. I am a frustrated consumer!  My colleagues with 3 and 4g ipods laugh because they can record their training sessions and me - the high tech one - can’t.  I’d like options please!

Posted by barb on April 22, 2006 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

I bought this 5G ipod in November and I couldn’t believe it wouldn’t record—I almost sent it back, but the sales rep assured me that it would only be a month or so until someone came out with a microphone adapter.  I’ve been waiting 5 months!  PLEASE RELEASE THIS THING ALREADY!!!!

Posted by Noelle Perrin on April 29, 2006 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

I’ve heard from my local Mac dealer it’s only a matter of weeks now, before it’s in the stores. By the end of May, it should be out there (so they say…)

Posted by scaven on May 8, 2006 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

a little bird that knows told me about July 4 on the Griffin

another little bird told me the Belkin needs an iPod firmware update before it can work

Posted by Frank Fulchiero on May 17, 2006 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

Belkin TuneTalk has already been released ($60ish).  Griffin needs to get their stuff together.

Posted by Jonathan on September 10, 2006 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2