Griffin debuts LightBoard case for iPad | iLounge News

Griffin debuts LightBoard case for iPad

image

Griffin Technology has debuted its new LightBoard case for the Apple iPad. Designed for use by children, the LightBoard is shatter-resistant polycarbonate case with openings for the speakers and headphone jack, a built-in polycarbonate screen protector, and a clipboard frame for holding pieces of 8.5” x 11” paper on the screen. The case is designed to work with LightBoard Trace app, a free application that offers more than 35 different coloring activities and figures. Griffin’s LightBoard case for the Apple iPad includes a black washable felt-tip marker and is available now and sells for $40.

AG Findings intros Vent Shell for iPhone 4 »

Comments

Ah, the sweet advance of technology. Why, in my day we’d pick up a light box at the neighborhood yard sale for $1.50. Now today’s kids can experience this sort of craft activity for the low, low price of only $539 + tax. /facepalm

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM (CST)

I am going to develop a perforated, and slightly elevated black screen cover. I will include a series of translucent colored pegs that will “glow” when the screen is activated beneath it to reveal a beautiful design. I will call it…BritePad. On sale soon for only $75!

Posted by Mitch on December 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM (CST)

We had an iPad already . . . my kids played with it all the time and I cringed every time they did for fear they would drop it.  I bought this case and the kids LOVE it because it comes with all kinds of cool tracing and drawing stuff, and my husband and I love it because we don’t cringe anymore.  Make fun all you want about the cost, but it solved our problem for $40.  The software is really well done, you should take a closer look before you dismiss it.

Posted by mia on December 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM (CST)

Mia, perhaps the case is really fantastic for kids (although even my energetic 3 y.o. has yet to so much as ding our unprotected iPad), it’s just that its intended application is asinine and very, very mock worthy no matter how good it may work for that purpose because $539 (minimum) to accomplish a very simple light box toy cannot be defended from my pragmatic view of the world.

@ Mitch: you ought to contact the trademark office ASAP because you can probably retire on this “idea” ;)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM (CST)

I see where Mia is coming from. $40 as an add-on to an existing family iPad is not “too” horrible. It is a protective case that adds some entertainment value. But, I am sure that there are parents out there that would see this product and use it to justify buying an iPad for kid use. That is NOT OK… Unless you are just rolling in cash and routinely light your cigars with $20 bills. Hahaha!

And I may have to run with my BritePad idea. If this thing is selling, mine would be a logical next step in “retro cool”!

Posted by Mitch on December 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM (CST)

And I think it’s assinine that any logically thinking person would argue that people would buy an iPad solely to use this item.

Posted by ATA on December 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM (CST)

@ ATA - (confused head cock) Did anyone make that argument? I am not sure where that is coming from in this string. If you are alluding to my comment “justify buying an iPad for kid use”, I did not say anything about ONLY using said iPad for this reason. I am basically inferring that a family on the fence about getting an iPad for a child (not for the family and including some child activities) could easily see this add-on and say “Now it is protected AND more practical. Little Johnny can now have his own iPad!”. That would be asinine indeed. But thanks for playing…

Posted by Mitch on December 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM (CST)

@mitch & Code Monkey - no problem I get the irony of it all totally . . . I loved those .99 cent drawing pads when I was a kid that was basically a clear plastic sheet over wax and you peeled up the plastic to erase the image.  My kids live in a different world that’s for sure!
The case is good though . . . we got it at the Apple store so you can see one there . . . think of it as a good case with extra features.

P.S. I tried not to use any swear words like ####

Posted by mia on December 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM (CST)