Griffin iFire Now Shipping | iLounge News

Griffin iFire Now Shipping

Griffin Technology is now shipping the iFire Amp and Adaptor for Apple Pro Speakers.

“Griffin iFire allows any computer with FireWire or an iPod with its charger to connect and power the popular and stylish Apple Pro Speakers. Previously, only a few select models of Apple computers could use Apple Pro Speakers. Now with the Griffin iFire, even Apple Notebooks and the new G5 computers can connect and enjoy the Harman Kardon designed Apple Pro Speakers. The Griffin iFire retails for 39.99.”

« NY Times: Online Music Business, Neither Quick Nor Sure

Updated: Belkin responds to Media Reader file transfer issue »

Comments

$39.95? Great, another overpriced add-on to my G5. In my opinion, Apple should send you this for free if you’ve just bought the G5 and still have the Pro Speakers. I don’t understand why they continue to manufacturer ridiculous proprietary devices, accesories and utilities and then turn right around and discontinue them (or fail to support them).

Posted by derek on October 28, 2003 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Cause it’s apple.

Posted by Bob on October 28, 2003 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

A standalone <20 watt amp for A$80, no thankyou, what a waste. I’d much rather use TDK’s Iamaspeaker, its so cute and cheap, and it doesn’t sound to bad either.

Posted by Adam on October 28, 2003 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

c’mon man! the g5 should be compliment with the harmon kardon soundsticks!
those are Awesome,k! but anyway macs dont have a good soundcard.

Posted by jm on October 29, 2003 at 2:29 AM (PDT)

Its weird when someone splashing 2-3k or something and complains abt other overprices stuff isnt it?

Posted by hahaa on October 29, 2003 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

Overpriced*

Posted by hahaa on October 29, 2003 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

they can also be used with the ipod

Posted by Phill in Texas on October 29, 2003 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

well, personally, I am happy about ifire.  The HK speakers are awesome.  Got them for cheap on eBay (new).  You can use the iFire with iPod’s AC Charger. (one less charger to bring on the road!) (and it’s great that I have an extra ipod ac adaptor)

Yes, it’s a hassle, but tha’s lie.  It’s not that big anyways…quite a bit smaller than the ipod.

I didnt’ like the fact that it needed to be plugged into the firewire for power…I thought it got the power from that one 2.5mm plug!!!  why the propriatory if it does nothing special?  anyone?

Posted by pb1212580 on October 29, 2003 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

To anwer your question, Jm, the G5 is my work machine, and when I have to pay for extras myself, it upsets me. As it is, I’m also already using both of my Firewire 400 slots for peripherals (iPod, video camera input, external hard drive). My complaint is with all the friggin slots this machine has, why not put the mini jack plug in it as well? I think $40 extra when I should ALREADY have the plug is a bit ridiculous… my $53 speakers are now suddenly $93 speakers.

Posted by derek on October 29, 2003 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Sorry, I guess that message was for hahaa (my bad).

Posted by derek on October 29, 2003 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

The fact that they are shipping is amazing.  I am still waiting for the iTrip, which was suppose to ship in August 03.  It is now Nov 03, and still not iTrip.

Posted by Cashaw on November 1, 2003 at 7:58 AM (PDT)