Griffin iFM Radio for iPod canceled
iLounger Larry W. has informed us that Griffin Technology has announced it has canceled the production of the iFM Radio for iPod in an email to customers who pre-ordered. The Griffin website has also removed the iFM from its products page. Click ‘Read more’ for the letter from Griffin.
Griffin Technology Customer Note
The Griffin iFM Radio for iPod has been canceled…
We regret to inform you that production of the iFM has been canceled. You are receiving this because you had pre-ordered the Griffin iFM Radio for iPod.
Here are answers to a few additional questions you may have:
Why was iFM canceled?
There were two basic reasons we were forced to cancel production of the iFM.
First, the iFM for the original iPod relied on the iPod’s Wired Remote Control. This part is no longer available separately from Apple for the Original iPods. Although some of the original iPod models came with the Remote, others would need this part separately. Buying a new Remote is no longer possible because Apple has discontinued it,
Second, producing the iFM for the new 3G iPods proved to be impossible due to technical changes in the new models. Although the iFM was initially designed for the original FireWire iPods many of our customers owned the newer iPods and desired the iFM for their model.
The combination of these two factors forced us to have to cancel the iFM for both iPod models completely.
Why are you just canceling the iFM now? What took so long?
We have been working very hard to find a solution for the iFM for the new 3G iPods. It was our desire to release for both iFM models at the same time. When
we exhausted all possible solutions for the 3G iFM - that’s when we were forced to make this difficult decision.
Are any of the iFM prototypes available?
Sorry, but no.
Are there any plans to make another kind of FM radio for the iPod?
Maybe… Some new possibilities do exist. However, nothing is close enough to talk about yet. If you want to stay informed of any new developments at Griffin
you can sign up to receive our email alerts here (in the right sidebar): http://griffintechnology.com/products/
- ReSound Linx MFi hearing aid launches
- Mad Catz unveils C.T.R.L.i iOS controller
- Fitbit pulls, recalls Force fitness tracker
- Bose debuts SoundLink Bluetooth speaker III
- Scosche releases MagicMount system for iOS devices
- Apogee intros JAM 96k guitar interface, MiC 96k
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Suit alleges Apple stores discriminate against visually impaired
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Plantronics Voyager Edge Bluetooth Headset
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone