Griffin iFM Radio for iPod canceled
iLounger Larry W. has informed us that Griffin Technology has announced it has canceled the production of the iFM Radio for iPod in an email to customers who pre-ordered. The Griffin website has also removed the iFM from its products page. Click ‘Read more’ for the letter from Griffin.
Griffin Technology Customer Note
The Griffin iFM Radio for iPod has been canceled…
We regret to inform you that production of the iFM has been canceled. You are receiving this because you had pre-ordered the Griffin iFM Radio for iPod.
Here are answers to a few additional questions you may have:
Why was iFM canceled?
There were two basic reasons we were forced to cancel production of the iFM.
First, the iFM for the original iPod relied on the iPod’s Wired Remote Control. This part is no longer available separately from Apple for the Original iPods. Although some of the original iPod models came with the Remote, others would need this part separately. Buying a new Remote is no longer possible because Apple has discontinued it,
Second, producing the iFM for the new 3G iPods proved to be impossible due to technical changes in the new models. Although the iFM was initially designed for the original FireWire iPods many of our customers owned the newer iPods and desired the iFM for their model.
The combination of these two factors forced us to have to cancel the iFM for both iPod models completely.
Why are you just canceling the iFM now? What took so long?
We have been working very hard to find a solution for the iFM for the new 3G iPods. It was our desire to release for both iFM models at the same time. When
we exhausted all possible solutions for the 3G iFM - that’s when we were forced to make this difficult decision.
Are any of the iFM prototypes available?
Sorry, but no.
Are there any plans to make another kind of FM radio for the iPod?
Maybe… Some new possibilities do exist. However, nothing is close enough to talk about yet. If you want to stay informed of any new developments at Griffin
you can sign up to receive our email alerts here (in the right sidebar): http://griffintechnology.com/products/
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Incipio acquires Incase
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- iPod touch 6G: Unboxing + comparison photos
- Apple debuts ‘Apple Tested Cases’ web page
- Nest debuts Nest Cam, updates Nest Protect and Learning Thermostat
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?