Griffin iFM Radio for iPod canceled
iLounger Larry W. has informed us that Griffin Technology has announced it has canceled the production of the iFM Radio for iPod in an email to customers who pre-ordered. The Griffin website has also removed the iFM from its products page. Click ‘Read more’ for the letter from Griffin.
Griffin Technology Customer Note
The Griffin iFM Radio for iPod has been canceled…
We regret to inform you that production of the iFM has been canceled. You are receiving this because you had pre-ordered the Griffin iFM Radio for iPod.
Here are answers to a few additional questions you may have:
Why was iFM canceled?
There were two basic reasons we were forced to cancel production of the iFM.
First, the iFM for the original iPod relied on the iPod’s Wired Remote Control. This part is no longer available separately from Apple for the Original iPods. Although some of the original iPod models came with the Remote, others would need this part separately. Buying a new Remote is no longer possible because Apple has discontinued it,
Second, producing the iFM for the new 3G iPods proved to be impossible due to technical changes in the new models. Although the iFM was initially designed for the original FireWire iPods many of our customers owned the newer iPods and desired the iFM for their model.
The combination of these two factors forced us to have to cancel the iFM for both iPod models completely.
Why are you just canceling the iFM now? What took so long?
We have been working very hard to find a solution for the iFM for the new 3G iPods. It was our desire to release for both iFM models at the same time. When
we exhausted all possible solutions for the 3G iFM - that’s when we were forced to make this difficult decision.
Are any of the iFM prototypes available?
Sorry, but no.
Are there any plans to make another kind of FM radio for the iPod?
Maybe… Some new possibilities do exist. However, nothing is close enough to talk about yet. If you want to stay informed of any new developments at Griffin
you can sign up to receive our email alerts here (in the right sidebar): http://griffintechnology.com/products/
- OtterBox acquires LifeProof
- Moshi debuts aluminum USB Cable with Lightning Connector
- Jays debuts a-Jays Five earphones
- Geneva debuts Model S Wireless, phases out Model S
- Shure debuts SE846 Quad Driver Earphones
- Klipsch releases KMC 3 Bluetooth speaker
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, giveaway update
- Apple drops refurbished fourth-gen iPad, mini prices
- Judge: US can show Apple e-book pricing conspiracy
- AT&T’s GoPhone to add LTE/HSPA+ support for iPhone
- Report: iOS 7 ‘black, white, and flat all over’
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- Lynktec TruGlide Pro Precision Stylus
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Costs associated with using FaceTime
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore