Griffin iFM Radio for iPod canceled | iLounge News

Griffin iFM Radio for iPod canceled

iLounger Larry W. has informed us that Griffin Technology has announced it has canceled the production of the iFM Radio for iPod in an email to customers who pre-ordered. The Griffin website has also removed the iFM from its products page. Click ‘Read more’ for the letter from Griffin.

Griffin Technology Customer Note

The Griffin iFM Radio for iPod has been canceled…

We regret to inform you that production of the iFM has been canceled. You are receiving this because you had pre-ordered the Griffin iFM Radio for iPod.

Here are answers to a few additional questions you may have:

Why was iFM canceled?

There were two basic reasons we were forced to cancel production of the iFM.

First, the iFM for the original iPod relied on the iPod’s Wired Remote Control. This part is no longer available separately from Apple for the Original iPods. Although some of the original iPod models came with the Remote, others would need this part separately. Buying a new Remote is no longer possible because Apple has discontinued it,

Second, producing the iFM for the new 3G iPods proved to be impossible due to technical changes in the new models.  Although the iFM was initially designed for the original FireWire iPods many of our customers owned the newer iPods and desired the iFM for their model.

The combination of these two factors forced us to have to cancel the iFM for both iPod models completely.

Why are you just canceling the iFM now? What took so long?

We have been working very hard to find a solution for the iFM for the new 3G iPods. It was our desire to release for both iFM models at the same time. When
we exhausted all possible solutions for the 3G iFM - that’s when we were forced to make this difficult decision.

Are any of the iFM prototypes available?

Sorry, but no.

Are there any plans to make another kind of FM radio for the iPod?

Maybe… Some new possibilities do exist. However, nothing is close enough to talk about yet. If you want to stay informed of any new developments at Griffin
you can sign up to receive our email alerts here (in the right sidebar): http://griffintechnology.com/products/

« Windows: iPod-Ex[tras] 0.1 Released

RipDigital announces CD ripping service »

Comments

I think they have seen the iHP and run scared.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 2, 2004 at 6:53 PM (CST)

What is “iHP”?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 2, 2004 at 7:15 PM (CST)

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people run scared from the iHP.  :)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 2, 2004 at 7:36 PM (CST)

this is some disappointing news :(

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 2, 2004 at 8:16 PM (CST)

After a Google search I’ve found the iHP. I agree, I would run scared if I saw that thing, too.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 2, 2004 at 8:31 PM (CST)

technology is so fast that new digital music players will try to top the iPods. iHP might be grand but iPods will never lose its place…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 5:45 AM (CST)

Perhaps the new iPods to be released feature FM radio.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 7:34 AM (CST)

Maybe Griffin has seen the new upcoming iPods, and maybe the new models have FM built in?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 9:04 AM (CST)

This is a good reason to hate apple.
Just as they won’t allow updating original iPods to version 2 software, they impede progress once again by thwarting 3rd party products.
It’s all about $$$, and Mr. Jobs has boat payments.
It’s there way or the highway.
Kind of reminds me of Mr. Gates.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 12:10 PM (CST)

I think the new iPods will include an FM-transmitter ????!!!!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 12:17 PM (CST)

FM Transmitter. I doubt that… Jobs doesn’t like ancient FM technology. Also it means that they would have to build special transmitter-less versions for the European markets. (Personal FM transmission is forbidden there in most countries).

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 1:08 PM (CST)

Google still has the product page cached.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 1:42 PM (CST)

I’ll have whatever mayor quimby’s drinkin’!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 4:05 PM (CST)

I am so sick of these all-in-ones like the iHP that have no heart: Yikes

Certain people out there may, indeed, feel the need to find the next crappy song on the next crappy C.C. FM station. I guarantee you, though, that the people who buy this—unlike P. Diddy and myself—will not have a playlist named “Boning Music” installed on it.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 3, 2004 at 10:52 PM (CST)

ahh. that iHP thing is terrible. i dont get it. they try to make it look nice, and end up making it look horrible. iPod is one of the few mp3 players i’ve seen wich has no openly displayed screws. the archos looks horrible, its like holding a brick. a brick with a screen. this iRiver thing is also pretty ugly.
10 days til my iPod arrives!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 4, 2004 at 12:55 AM (CST)

I never quite understood the FM tuner,  I have iPod so I don’t have to listen to the monotonous drivel on the radio.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 4, 2004 at 8:30 AM (CST)

I don’t get why you guys are bashing the iHP for. Just because it’s specs are better than the ipods is no reason to bash it. I love my ipod too, for the simplicity though. I would also love to have the iHP though.

Optical input and output
Up to 16 hours of battery life (double 3G ipod!)
Built-in voice recorder
Integrated FM tuner
Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers
Supports MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV and OGG music files (plus more with future firmware)

Plus an LCD remote to boot.

I imagine the ipod has it beat when it comes to interface and navigation, but those features sure are tempting.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 4, 2004 at 6:38 PM (CST)