Griffin intros AirClick with dock connector for iPod | iLounge News

Griffin intros AirClick with dock connector for iPod

imageGriffin Technology today announced the AirClick with Dock Connector, a new version of its wireless remote control for iPods. Unlike previous models, the receiver of the new AirClick connects to an iPod’s bottom dock connector instead of the top headphone and remote ports.

The AirClick uses RF technology that allows users to control their iPod from up to 60 ft. away and through walls. The remote control features five buttons—play/pause, next track, previous track, volume up, and volume down—and also has a hold switch and rear clip. The new AirClick works with fourth and fifth generation iPods and iPod minis. It is priced at $39.99 and is scheduled to begin shipping in mid-November.

« Sumo Cases offers new gear for iPod nano, 5G iPod

Eminem iPod + iTunes commercial returns »

Comments

I wish I could use this while the iPod is on the dock! Damn that sux!

Posted by Hayden on October 17, 2005 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

All these new dock connector based products that Griffin is releasing are not nano compatible.

What gives?

No new iTrip for nano yet, hurry up Griffin.

Posted by LSC on October 17, 2005 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

Any idea why Griffin would exclude 3G Pod’s from the works-with list?

Posted by Jake Madden on October 17, 2005 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

Well that sucks that it doesn’t work with 3rd gens, that started the dock connector, I mean what the hell Griffen? lol, a lot of people still have 3rd gens, I know I still do.

Posted by matrixsjd on October 17, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I don’t see a point to this. If I wanted to control my iPod (nano) with a remote, I’d just get the universal Apple dock and that remote.

Posted by Moosey on October 17, 2005 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

what are you going to do without a dock connector? listen to it on headphones and use your remote?

Posted by jm on October 17, 2005 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

Firt of all, this is a RF (radio frequency) remote, so it’s totaly different of a IR remote.
With a IR remote the only way to send the information to the Ipod is pointing the remote to the main point.
You do not have to point the remote with the RF remote, so you can put your Ipod anywere out of the direction of the remote.

This was the biggest mistake they had done to the new Ipod (now you can’t use the dock and a itrip together or a RF remote and the dock)... verry Bad :(

Posted by Billy Gun on October 17, 2005 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

This is all very well, with RF and so on, but this has got to run off the ipod battery right? Who the heck wants to run their ipod around the house without it being charged at the same time, or at least have that option? Out of the two inconveniences - not being able to charge and synch while using the remote, and having to aim the remote at the unit (aka apple remote), I think I’ll take the inconvenience of having to aim and go with the apple product. If I want to sit down and listen to music, the last thing I want is not to be able to because the battery is flat. I just want to plonk it in the cradle and forget it. Maybe one day someone will release a product with both. This is going to be a deal killer for iTrip as well I suspect. Who wants to use the ipod in the car but not charge at the same time? What if the battery is flat?

Posted by Chris on October 17, 2005 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

Chris, the Airplay2 has a dock connector on it’s bottom so you can charge and use it with a radio at the same time.

Posted by matrixsjd on October 17, 2005 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

Are you sure that there is a dock connector at the bottom?

Posted by Prashant on October 17, 2005 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

matrixsjd, where did you gather that information?
does not show a pass-through docking connector.

People, this is total BS! It largely means that you have *zero* chance to use a 5G iPod with this product if you want to use the line-out. Apple’s decision to move the headphone port & remove the remote jack seriously limits iPod’s functionality for people who actually care about soundquality / use a portable amplifier / etc. - The AirClick used to be about portable use, now it is crippled.

All one can do *if* you want to use this product here is to have your iPod exposed to a $200 audiophile modification that will turn the headphone-port into a line-out. Great, thanks Apple!

Posted by Bad Beaver on October 18, 2005 at 2:03 AM (PDT)

matrixsjd said “Airplay 2” not “Airclick”.

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on October 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

Hmm, kinda plain looking…and big.  Here’s hoping that it takes on a better form as it nears production in late 2006—a la Smart Deck.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on October 18, 2005 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

Airclick…Airplay 2…

Kinda different add-ons that DO different things, aren’t they?

The Airclick does seems half-thought out at best. Too bad Griffin.

Posted by flatline response on October 18, 2005 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

Airplay 2… yeah, I see, sorry. That’s a totally different product though. flatline response is right, Griffin screwed up. I’ll drop them a line.

Posted by Bad Beaver on October 18, 2005 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

One correction - the iTrip for doc connector will have a mini-USB port on it, which you can use with an appropriate accessory to charge in the car. I wonder why they didn’t do a pass through doc connector though?

Posted by Chris on October 19, 2005 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

I used my previous airclick in the car with a mini. It allowed me to charge and utilize a casette adapter using a Belkin product. With my new Video I want a remote so I can leave it under the seat but need a pass-through dock connector. Will not by an RF remote until they offer this. I couldn’t imagine using this version in the house either. Previous posts are too right, who wants to not charge while running a line to the stereo. I hope it’s technically possible to have a dock connector at the bottom of this and other accessories since apple reduced the options on the 5G. What a challenge for the accessory people. Why do this?

Posted by jake on December 10, 2005 at 12:43 PM (PDT)