Griffin intros next generation iTrip FM transmitter | iLounge News

Griffin intros next generation iTrip FM transmitter

imageGriffin Technology today announced the availability of its redesigned iTrip FM transmitter (iLounge Rating: A/A-).

The new iTrip gains a backlit LCD screen and tuning knob to more easily select a broadcast frequency. The device also features selectable LX or DX broadcasting modes for optimal clarity, the ability to set the iTrip to either US or International tuning modes, and an auto volume control.

Griffin’s new iTrip, which works with third and fourth-generation iPods, retails for $49.99 but is available for an introductory price of $39.99.

« Mix: iTunes charts, Inventec, T-Mobile, Napster

Hurricane Katrina relief »

Comments

just placed my order :)

look forward to giving a full end user/consumer report when i get this puppy in my hands in a few days…

Posted by me101 on September 2, 2005 at 11:00 AM (CDT)

Finally, it’s here. I want one for sure now.

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on September 2, 2005 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

One question, where do you pre-order it? I’m sorry for the double post.

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on September 2, 2005 at 11:13 AM (CDT)

You can purchase it from their website.

Posted by uber taxpayer on September 2, 2005 at 2:09 PM (CDT)

you think they got’em at BestBuy yet?

Posted by andres on September 2, 2005 at 4:04 PM (CDT)

I wonder if the new display will cut down on the iPod’s battery more than the old model… Still I’d like to have the new one, I hate having to scroll through the iPod’s menu to change stations :(

Posted by gizmo3x on September 2, 2005 at 6:01 PM (CDT)

Our full review, available on the site at the link above, discusses battery life. Short answer: no.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 2, 2005 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

I’ll get one, but not from them direct.  $22US shipping to Canada is outrageous.  Certainly won’t endear them to buyers north of the border.

Posted by Will on September 2, 2005 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

i saw some of those at the apple store now

Posted by kevn on September 2, 2005 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

I picked one up today at my local Apple store.  I am not that impressed with it.  There is way too much static.  The design and backlit display is nice.  But unfortunately I will be taking this back to the Apple store and trying something else.

Posted by Shawn on September 2, 2005 at 11:32 PM (CDT)

Shawn: Have you tried mono mode? 87.9FM? What are you comparing it with? And under what conditions are you experiencing “way too much” static problems?

We would like to know so that we can determine if your problems are usage related, expectations that are too high, etc.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 3, 2005 at 12:41 AM (CDT)

I want one of these but living in the UK it would appear that it is not yet avaible from any online sellers in Britain.

Griffin’s website quotes $30 for international shipping!! Somewhat negates the special offer price doesn’t it?

I have to say I have been more than happy with my original iTrip (I have a 4G 20GB iPod). The only complaint is having to scroll through the playlist whenever I need to re-tune - not the safest thing to do whilst driving!

Posted by scottypg on September 3, 2005 at 8:25 AM (CDT)

How’s this new model comparable with Kensington FM transmitter? Which one does perform better with less noise?

Posted by Armond on September 3, 2005 at 8:27 AM (CDT)

Armond: See our FM Transmitter Shootout, part 2.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 3, 2005 at 8:40 AM (CDT)

I picked up the digital version this week for use on my boat and car.  I live in Toronto, Canada and its use is somewhat limited with the crowded city fm bands, however, outside the city it works flawlessly.  I am very pleased with the results.  It more than met my expectations

Posted by jay on September 3, 2005 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

I do have one question which for the first time was only slightly answered in this review, but I am still unsure. The Griffin site doesn’t list compatability with the iPod mini.

Will this work with my 2 gen iPod mini? I just broke my iTrip mini last week.

Thanks.

Posted by saxmanlarry on September 3, 2005 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

I just purchased one, and I guess living in Los Angeles does not help at all. I absolutely could not find a static free station form 87.9 and on. And if I did manage to find one there was nore static than music. I could barely hear my music. I tried both modes to no avail. I did have the original itrip and experienced the same problems. Jeremy pls help

Posted by chris on September 3, 2005 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

Chris: Where are you testing, in car or in house?

How far are you from the stereo and antenna when testing?

Have you tried attaching a cable to the iPod’s Dock Connector?

Which iPod are you using?

We do our testing very close to LA, and with most of the same radio stations. 87.9 -should- be okay. If not, try the 88s and 107s. We want to hear more. Please do post a followup.

Saxman: Yes it does.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 4, 2005 at 12:19 AM (CDT)

uh oh! griffin needs some imporvements on the itrip! I know FM transmission is nto going to be perfect, but i was just not satisfied with the quality.

I picked one up this afternoon at my local apple store, excited as all heck to put it into use. sadly, i was disappointed. as what people have been saying, there is a lot of static. I too live around LA, and could not find a decent station to tune in to. the 87.9 isnt as clear of a reception as the previous itrip II i had.

i have tried the suggestion of plugging it into a home/car charger with little or no change as to the amount of static. i also tried switching from DX/LX modes with no help. my other itrip performs better than the new LCD model at my house.

Here is the worst part though…i have yet to experience it in my car, but when i am at home using the itrip, the signal actually cuts on and off on occasion. i am about 5-8 feet from my home stereo when this happens. i have experienced this with the itrip II as well as the new itrip LCD. i dont know why it happens, but yeah. when i have it playing, the music would suddenly stop transmitting, then seconds later jump back into it. it is not the iPod itself because i have restored it with the same results, and when the music stops, the song is still playing, not on pause.

I need some help to resolve these issues. if anyone is experiencing the same types of problems, please comment!

by the way, i have a 30GB iPod Photo (one of the last to be sold before the phase-out)

Posted by Paolo on September 4, 2005 at 3:41 AM (CDT)

Jeremy,
I used this in my car. The ipod was about a foot away from my stereo and about a 3-4 ft away from the antenna. I currently have the 4g B&W ipod, however I did try using my car charger and found that it was noticably better but the static was still unacceptable (used 89.5). I understand that this is a FM transmitter so my expectations were not high, but I was expecting to get atleast a decent reception. One last thing I did try this on my home stereo and although the reception was alot better than my car stereo I could still hear a fair amount of static.

PS: I live in the South Bay Area of LA any suggestions in regards to frequencies?

Posted by Chris on September 4, 2005 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >