Griffin intros TuneCenter iPod dock | iLounge News

Griffin intros TuneCenter iPod dock

imageGriffin Technology has announced its new TuneCenter iPod dock and charging station. TuneCenter features the ability to navigate and control the iPod from a TV screen using the included 14 button remote, as well as play internet radio stations through the built-in Wi-Fi or ethernet connections. TuneCenter provides both composite and S-Video out, as well as RCA audio. The TuneCenter is compatible with all dock connector iPods, and sells for $99.99. It is scheduled to begin shipping in March; pre-orders are being accepted now.

« Slappa launches SlipScreen for the iPod nano

iPod, iTunes updates hide major new features »

Comments

Sweet…just sweet!

<sarcasm>Look out Griffin, DLO might file suit again…</sarcasm>

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 11, 2006 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

This is just the thing I’ve been waiting for. I’ve been kinda wanting Apple to get out a macMini media center first.. but this might have to help bridge the gap until then.

Posted by cosmicrob on January 11, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

yeah, i’ve been waiting for this too… and it is compadible with my “vintage” 3rd gen ipod

Posted by redbridgeroad on January 11, 2006 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

Wow this looks to be exactly what I have been waiting for! And the look and feel of the on-TV interface as depicted by the screen shots on the griffin site look very nice!

Jeremy please review (or First Look) this as soon as you get a chance! grin Specifically, I would love to see screen shots of navigating Movie menus, and Video Podcast menus on the TV screen.

Finally a full blown portable media center! Yeah baby!!

Posted by ipodcaesar on January 11, 2006 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

Now if it would just display Album Art…

Posted by craig on January 11, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

It looks nice! My only concern with it is can you use an iPod with a case on with the TuneCenter?

I used to have the DLO HomeDock and it worked with iPods with a case on as long as the bottom of the case is fairly open (like the Agent18 case & Xtrememac TuffWraps).  I hate to have to take the iPod off it’s case everytime I want to dock it…it’s a pain!

Posted by jeproxx on January 11, 2006 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

I wish this had an optical or coaxial digital out. Then I would be really excited! Not that I’m not, it’s just that I just wonder if it was ever considered when designing this product as well as DLO’s more expensive version? Apple thought of it when they bought out their Airport Express. It’s still an interesting product though. Looking forward to a review. Hopefully the remote on one of them will be RF.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

Does this also charge the iPod when it is docked?  I don’t see a power connection.

Also, does it come with an antenna for WiFi, or is one built into the device?

Posted by nanonano on January 11, 2006 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

I just checked it out on the website. Click on “specifications”. It looks like it does charge the iPod. There is a connection for power on the rear of the base.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

RF or IR remote??

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

The website doesn’t mention if the remote is RF or IR nor does it even show the remote. Bd job by Griffin not even showing the remote. Perhaps the finalized version of it isn’t quite ready.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

I kind of like DLO’s version. It’s $50 more though, but it’s nicer looking. Although the Griffin is more compact, but it doesn’t look like the iPod will fit the Griffin dock with a case on. Another advantage to the DLO unit.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

good point about it fitting with cases on but i wonder - isn’t that bad for the ipod, to be supported entirely by the dock connector, and not set in a recessed dock port?

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

shubopshadangalang:
i would think its an ir remote judging from the little black thing on its base

Posted by daniel rojas on January 11, 2006 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

i hope this works better than the disappointing airclick….

Posted by WarmPabst on January 11, 2006 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

That’s a valid question shuboshadangalang. Due to the weight of say a 60 GB video iPod, will it sit correctly without putting too much of a strain on the dock connector inside the base? This question would apply more for the DLO unit being that it doesn’t seem to support the iPod from the rear like the Griffin unit appears to do. That I’m looking forward to finding out in Jeremy’s review which I hope is soon for both the Griffin and DLO.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

Just curious, WarmPabst, what you found disappointing about the AirClick? For me, it’s a total lack of regard of providing a pass-through port on the AirClick, yet putting one on the iTrip! And the iTrip came out first! Other than that, it works pretty well. Sorry to get off topic here folks! Just had to vent one last time, ‘cause I really like the AirClick remote.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

seeing other images it doesn’t appear to support it form the rear actually, the back piece just parallels the angle a few inches behind. as for daniel’s remote assumption, the “black thing” appears as though it may simply be griffin’s logo, and not necessarily an IR receiver….?

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

Three comments.  1) In iLounge’s MacWorld roundup, it looks like Griffin is also selling an all black version. That will go nice with my new black 5G.  2) considering the lower quality video/audio there really isn’t a need for optical or coaxial digital out ect.  They did include s-video out. 3)  Why no USB out? They included an ethernet port and wireless 802.11b?

Posted by Scott on January 11, 2006 at 9:05 PM (PDT)

I own the DLO and it has a plastic piece that sits behind the ipod to support it when pressing buttons.  It can be adjusted to fit the different depths of iPods, and I haven’t had any problem with the stand.

I have two complaints about the DLO.
1) No on screen visual when playing music. It’s not like the 2.5” screen on the iPod is easy to see across the room.

2) The remote only allows for going to the next/previous song or next/previous playlist.  I can’t navigate trough the artist or albums to choose music and I don’t neccessarily want a playlist of every album I have on my iPod.

If what I have read here and on the Griffin website are true,then both of my complaints will be answered and all will be well.

Posted by hockeygator on January 11, 2006 at 9:09 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >