Griffin intros TuneCenter iPod dock | iLounge News

Griffin intros TuneCenter iPod dock

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageGriffin Technology has announced its new TuneCenter iPod dock and charging station. TuneCenter features the ability to navigate and control the iPod from a TV screen using the included 14 button remote, as well as play internet radio stations through the built-in Wi-Fi or ethernet connections. TuneCenter provides both composite and S-Video out, as well as RCA audio. The TuneCenter is compatible with all dock connector iPods, and sells for $99.99. It is scheduled to begin shipping in March; pre-orders are being accepted now.

« Slappa launches SlipScreen for the iPod nano

iPod, iTunes updates hide major new features »

Comments

hockeygator - apparently you haven’t seen DLO’s new version:

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

Point taken about the lack of digital out Scott. I look forward to seeing an all black version of the Tune Center.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

Well, here’s our answer on the remote: it’s IR http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/01/ipodvideodocks/index.php

While that’s mildly disappointing, I’m still very pysched about this product….for what it does, I think the price is fair. What puts this one the top has to be the Internet radio option. Here are some concerns:

1. Can you look through your other songs while the cuurent one is playing? The DLO one specifically says you can while Griffin does not.
2. Can the software running the TV display be updated? How would this be done?
3. The Breen Blog mentions this has a digital out, but I have my doubts after looking at those ports.
4. Do you need the iPod docked in order to internet radio.

Posted by fanboy on January 11, 2006 at 11:10 PM (PDT)

What I would like to know is if you can play video through this from a 4G ipod (non-photo model)?

Posted by eightwire on January 12, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

i just called Griffin and they cannot confirm that the TuneCenter will display the photos from an iPod nano. Does anyone have any information on that?

Posted by wj on January 12, 2006 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Well, that would be the proverbial ‘horse’s mouth’.  If Griffin can’t confirm it, anything else would be speculation.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

What I would like to see with this is being able to sync your ipod via the wireless connection. Like I do with my bluetooth phone, doesn’t matter where it’s at in my apartment. I just open isync, and sync away…

Posted by geno on January 12, 2006 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

this is exactly what I was looking for! I have a navplus on my audi and now I can have an all video interface on the 5” nav screen! the only downside is the IR remote. I was thinking of hidding the dock on the glove compartment…

Posted by nuno borralho on January 13, 2006 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

I need to have a review of both products of a DLO vs. Griffen review on the two types of home docks before I make my purchase. I’m not willing to shell out 150 and then find out the cheaper one is a lot better.

Posted by Anthony on January 13, 2006 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

I’m waiting for at the very least a “First Look” of either product before I buy. I really like this Griffin one though!

Posted by ipodcaesar on January 14, 2006 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

More details need to be provided for the RJ-45 or WiFi links. If this networking feature is only good for Internet Radio, then this is major disappointment.

I would expect this unit to take full advantage of the networking hardware capabilities to:

-Sync data to a PC (on the LAN or (WAN? wishful thinking))
-Download Itunes content to the IPOD without a computer. Purchase and play without a MAC/PC.
-Subscribe/Download RSS feeds/enclosures to automatically get the latest PODcasts/VIDcasts.

-and last but not least, provide a bit-torrent client in the firmware so that the IPOD can consume bit-torrent RSS enclosures.

These features would make me scoop this unit up along with a video-IPOD right away.

Otherwise, the networking feature is just a marketing gimmick, like most “i’s” in any i-product are lame attempts to capture market share. Innovation 1st, gimmicks second.

2 cents,
Fabian.

Posted by flamaest on January 14, 2006 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Hi,

The DLO has variable output on sound so that you can adjust the volume via it’s remote. However, I prefer the line-level output of the existing apple docs when connected to a home stereo. The sound quality is better and I’m happy to use the remote of my Arcam amp to adjust the volume. I’m hoping that the Griffen uses line-level output.

Posted by Mike Collins on January 16, 2006 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

I just called Griffin to ask some Q’s on different products.  The woman I poke with said that you can upload music to the iPod over the ethernet cable, though I don’t really know if she has all the details.  There’s no mention of this on the home page, but if you can download iTunes songs directly to the unit over ethernet, I’m in.  And vice versa.  I can’t wait to find out.

Posted by Mike M. on January 17, 2006 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

Finally got a response from Griffin’s sales reps about the remote, so there’s no question now… the remote is IR, not RF. (disappointed)

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 18, 2006 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

You could always use this dock with an iJet two-way; it has a pass-through connector.

Posted by fanboy on January 18, 2006 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

I wonder if it comes with the cables(s-video, power adapter, usb)

Posted by MacFig on January 27, 2006 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

I sure hope the TuneCenter iPod navigation screens displayed on the TV allow the option to display associated album art for the songs being played.

Posted by Ken on February 1, 2006 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if we be able to dock onto the TuneCenter if we have a skin or a case (such as XtremeMac’s Microshield) on our iPod? Or will we have to remove it before docking? Another competing product (DLO’s HomeDock) allows you to dock w/o having to remove your case/skin so I was wondering if TuneCenter will have the same flexibility.

Posted by LFCali on February 2, 2006 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Update on price… just checked out the Griffin website…  the $99 mentioned previously is misleading. It’s $99 for the version WITHOUT Wi-Fi, and $149 w/ Wi-Fi. Darn.. I was totally going for this item if it was $99 WITH Wi-Fi. Now this makes my decision harder because I think DLO’s HomeDock Deluxe @ $149 looks better, though DLO doesnt come with WiFi capabilities. Does anyone know if you have to connect the TuneCenter to anything in order for the Wi-Fi capabilities to work? Or do you just need a Router w/ WAP access? (similar to how the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi service works?)

Posted by LFCali on February 2, 2006 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Not true, LFCali.  I just pre-ordered one on the GriffinTechnology website, and paid $99 for “TuneCenter - Home Media Center for iPod (with WiFi)”.  If this is the pre-order price, then it’s well worth the additional $50 to get it early….

Posted by krt186 on March 3, 2006 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >