Griffin iTalk Voice Recorder now shipping | iLounge News

Griffin iTalk Voice Recorder now shipping

“Griffin Technology, Inc, innovator of exciting accessories for iPod like the iTrip, today announced the iTalk Voice Recorder for the iPod is now shipping - on schedule. This stylish accessory snaps directly on top of the iPod and turns it into a fully functional voice recorder and playback device. In addition to it’s superior built in microphone and internal speaker; the iTalk has a connector that supports both headphone monitoring and the use of an external microphone. Recording control is handled directly on the iPod and recording time is limited only by the iPod’s size. The iTalk retails for $39.99 and is available now at www.griffintechnology.com

Press release:

Griffin Announces iTalk Voice Recorder for iPod Now Shipping
Exclusive features include external microphone input and headphone play-through

NASHVILLE, TN - April 22, 2004. Griffin Technology, Inc, innovator of exciting accessories for iPod like the iTrip, today announced the iTalk Voice Recorder for the iPod is now shipping - on schedule. This stylish accessory snaps directly on top of the iPod and turns it into a fully functional voice recorder and playback device. In addition to it’s superior built in microphone and internal speaker; the iTalk has a connector that supports both headphone monitoring and the use of an external microphone. Recording control is handled directly on the iPod and recording time is limited only by the iPod’s size. The iTalk retails for $39.99 and is available now at http://www.griffintechnology.com

“We’re very excited to be shipping the Griffin iTalk iPod Voice Recorder. It’s the next ‘must-have’ iPod accessory from Griffin and a great follow up to our wildly popular iTrip FM Transmitter. Our iPod customers love extending their iPods and the Griffin iTalk takes that to the extreme - turning an iPod into a super cool, easy to use, iTunes syncing Voice Recorder. Our customers are going to love it.” said Andrew Green, VP Marketing & Design at Griffin Technology.

With iTalk connected to an iPod, users can record literally thousands of hours of seminars, meetings, classes, etc. An iTalk on top of a powered 40 Gig iPod could record for a whole month! Its built in microphone was designed to record crystal clear audio. Automatic Gain Control assures that the best possible signal level is achieved; from up close voice memos to a keynote speaker 100 feet away. For even higher quality recordings users can connect an external microphone directly to iTalk via a mini-jack connection on top of the unit.

The iTalk can play back recordings through its very capable integrated speaker. It is loud enough to fill a small office with sound or be heard in a car - making it a great solution for listening to audio books or sharing the playback of a previously recorded meeting. However iTalk also includes a pass-through headphone jack that allows monitoring of voice recording or listening to music without having to remove iTalk from the iPod. Users can also download recordings to their computer for playback or archiving.

Pricing & Availability

The iTalk Voice Recorder for iPod is priced $39.99 USD and is now shipping, as scheduled, in April 2004. Orders can be placed at http://www.griffintechnology.com

« Troubleshooting the iPod and iPod mini

Jobs says open iPod “not worth it” »

Comments

So Exciting! I’m receiving mine tommorrow from Airmail! :D Should be nice. I have an iSkin exo2 and may have to buy an iSkin evo if I get fed up with removing the top of the skin every time i use it.

Posted by Zach Hale on April 23, 2004 at 12:37 AM (CDT)

I got my iTalk yesterday actually, and it looks great with the iPod. Too bad looks aren’t everything, because my iTalk creates static pops and the auot gain feature is terrible! I can’t even hear myself talking a few inches away from the builtin mic! Even with an add on mic it takes terrible recordings. I hope this is just a defect in mine, I’m sending is back to TN and waiting form another to arrive. Too bad my spring semester will end before it arrives. This one better work!

Posted by Mike W. on April 23, 2004 at 6:10 AM (CDT)

“the iTalk has a connector that supports both headphone monitoring and the use of an external microphone”
just… not at the same time. They didn’t mention that part.

Mike, the terrible sound is because of Apple’s firmware, not the italk.

Try hooking the same mic up to your computer and making a recording at 8 bit 8000KHz mono. It will sound about the same. Until Apple updates the ipod firmware to allow for higher fidelity recordings (don’t hold your breath since it records in wav, it’s probably going to have a low upper limit because of the low speed of the hard drive).

Re: the gain… don’t talk so close to it, try it from farther away. You’re probably telling the gain that there’s so much noise it needs to turn everything down.
Or you could have a bum unit. But do more testing before you blow a couple weeks waiting for a new one, it’ll be helpful to record lectures. :-)

Posted by JC on April 23, 2004 at 7:37 AM (CDT)

Thanks JC, but i have doen some other comparison tests. At a distant, like a lecture, there is only this awful static. And the popping is obnoxious.the mic im using on the computer makes clearer recordings, at least i cvan distinquish whats voice and whats white noise. It seems to me that the connections arent really snug on the unit, it is a little loose. A lot looser then my iTrip or remote at least. as for my lectures today, nothing, so im disappointed.

Posted by Mike W. on April 23, 2004 at 1:01 PM (CDT)

Question for you iTalk users out there.

Are the recordings able to be transferred to the computer? This would make things very VERY easy.

Posted by Adam on April 23, 2004 at 1:18 PM (CDT)

does this mean that purchasing the belkin recorder is a better idea?

Posted by ads on April 23, 2004 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

I ordered mine in Jan and I’m still waiting to hear from them.

Posted by arosen on April 23, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

“don’t hold your breath since it records in wav, it’s probably going to have a low upper limit because of the low speed of the hard drive”

Do the math.  I transfered 5 gigs of music to my iPod in about 25 minutes.  Works out to about 200 megs per minute.  One minute of CD-quality uncompressed WAV data (44.1 khz, 16 bit, right?) is about 10 megs.  Much less than the speed the drive is capable of.  So it’s not a hardware limitation at all, rather an Apple-created software limitation.  Most likely to stop people from making high quality recordings of things like concerts.

Posted by people are dumb on April 23, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

i have been using belkin one recording lecture for a while.. it works great for me.

Posted by well on April 23, 2004 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

Adam: When you hook it up to the computer, iTunes will automatically pull your voice recordings over into a playlist called “Voice Memos”.

I found that 30 seconds is only abuot 500k so I’m good to go as far as space I will have to leave open.

Posted by Zach in Lake Stevens, WA on April 24, 2004 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

Zach, if 30 seconds is taking about 0.5 megs, is that to say that iTunes automatically converts memos into MP3s?

If so, that’d be great…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 24, 2004 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

it records them into 228kbps WAV at 8khz. I uploaded a file from the iTalk at http://www.wayblur.com/archives/2004/04/24/my_new_griffin_italk.php

Hope that helps.

Posted by Zach in Lake Stevens, WA on April 24, 2004 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

I’m having trouble with this. My iTalk was working just fine and now lately I will plug it in and it wont work at all. It will either just not bring up the voice recording menu or it will bring up the menu, but when I try to record it says “cannot record because microphone is not attached”. (It just worked this second as i write this) I don’t know what’s wrong. It’s making me mad.

Posted by Zach in Lake Stevens, WA on April 24, 2004 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

people are dumb: I’m assuming you transferred your 5 GB of music onto your iPod using the FireWire port.  The iTalk uses that dinky remote port on the top.  There is DEFINITELY a discrepancy between the transfer speeds of the two.

Posted by Tron on April 24, 2004 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

Tron:  Yes it was via Firewire, but no it doesn’t matter.  Why?  Well, the firewire transfer speed shows you that yes, the drive can write that fast.  And the voice recordings do not enter the iPod through the remote port.  Only control data goes through there.  The audio itself enters through the analog headphone port, which is reversed to be a microphone port when told to by the attatchment/software.  The iPod then does the digitizing and saves it to the drive.  The analog port is obviously able to transfer high quality audio (it sounds good through your headphones, right?) so it can do the same on the input side of things.  The low quality recordings are due to the fact that the iPod firmware uses a very low sample rate and size.

Posted by people are dumb on April 25, 2004 at 12:51 AM (CDT)

The ipod is clearly limited to low quality recordings by the top brass at Apple. My 1st generation Nomad Jukebox can record 48Khz stereo wav files, so there’s no question that the ipod tech can handle it.

The Belkin mic is utter crap. I will gladly sell you mine, Well.

Has anyone used this new mic to record band practice? I was hoping the auto gain feature might come in handy here. If anyone could upload some tests of recordings of various noise levels, that would be tremendously helpful.

Also, any comments on the quality of the speaker?

Posted by Truth on April 25, 2004 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

The speaker is really nice. It has clear sound. Not loud, but as long as it’s silent, the sounds is really nice… for a speaker that small. I really like it, looking forward to a nice speaker to play songs for my friends at school and such.

Posted by Zach in Lake Stevens, WA on April 25, 2004 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

I just whipped up an audio blog where I’ll upload the voice files from my ipod and blog them. You can test the sound for yourself. The auto-gain seems to work really well. check it out! http://www.wayblur.com/audblog/

Posted by Zach in Lake Stevens, WA on April 25, 2004 at 1:34 AM (CDT)

Hey Truth how much you selling that belkin for?

Posted by asd on April 25, 2004 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

I’m getting a “cannot record because microphone is not attached” too. Hasn’t worked once yet for me

Posted by doug on April 27, 2004 at 6:48 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >