Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for $28 | iLounge News

Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for $28

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, March 17, 2004
News Categories: Deals

Dealmac: MacResQ.com offers the Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for third-generation iPods for $29.99. Coupon code “DNEWSTRIP” knocks $2 off for a net price of $27.99, the lowest we know to be available. Shipping starts around $4. Offer ends March 19.

« iPod-Stuff.com now open

Shure E5c earphones for $400 »

Comments

I’ve got one of these and REALLY, REALLY, R E A L L Y wish that I could plug my iPod remote into the top of it or vis-versa. This would make it LOT safer while driving as it is hard to find the right place on my iPod to jump to the next song or repeat the current song. It would be great if other people pestered them too.

Posted by Sabon on March 17, 2004 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

don’t waste your time or mone wit one of these.  they work well for the first few months, then BAM, every little bump you drive over delivers a nasty popping sound, and that’s on top of the wizzing and crackling sound that’s audible when transmitting on EVERY frequency possible in every car I’ve tried it in.

Posted by don't bother on March 18, 2004 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

I’ve had mine for several months and so have a few friends. None of have any problems with their iTrips.

Posted by Sabon on March 18, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Has anyone ordered one of these from this company.  Whats the turnaround time like for shipping?

Posted by Anthony Rivera on March 19, 2004 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

I initially found them to be ok, but if you listen to them and compare to a good radio station, there is a lot more crackling and other sounds. I am disappointed in the sound quality to be honest, and would strongly recommend against it if sound quality is what you are after.

I am going to try the cassette tape solution instead as it is supposed to be better quality…

I also agree with Sabon, it is annoying that you can’t plug remote and have to take ipod out of its case everytime i want to skip a song.

Posted by Zaid on March 22, 2004 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

Zaid is correct in that sound quality isn’t the best. But the iTrip has either the best or close to the best wireless FM modulated sound quality.

So the only way to get better quality is through either a cassete tape adapter. But even that isn’t anywhere close to CD quality sound. You need an FM “in-line” modulator for an AUX port to have a chance for that.

An “in-line adapter” is a little box that plus into the antenna cable where it and the radio cable connect up. You then use a connector with two RCA connectors at one end and a 1/8” plug at the other.

Posted by Sabon on March 22, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Sabon,

I was just reading the review on the ICE-Link (http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=2692_0_6_0_M).

A bit expensive but sounds like the solution for me. I have a BMW 330 which I suppose has similar FM antenna to the X5 which the reviewer has mentioned, so may be getting this result because of the antenan.

Posted by Zaid on March 22, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Oh, and another thing re iTrip. The quality of sound was WORSE than a good quality FM radio station. When i had crackling or interference, the radio station i was comparing to did not.

Posted by Zaid on March 22, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

“But the iTrip has either the best or close to the best wireless FM modulated sound quality”

what have you compared against??  i compared against the DR Bott transmitter and found it to have much, much better audio quality.

Posted by try on March 24, 2004 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

try - I’m comparing it to the iRock, Belkin’s, and Cendyn’s wireless FM modulators.

Posted by Sabon on March 25, 2004 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

is the iTrip compatible with the iPod Mini?

Posted by pedro on March 28, 2004 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

“is the iTrip compatible with the iPod Mini?”

Posted by Sabon on March 29, 2004 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

I somehow managed to get my mini to work with the itrip, but then lost the 87.9 frequency lock.  Cannot restablish itrip on any frequency.  Have read the PDF download from Griffin, but cannot make that work either.  Anyone have the solution?

Posted by Tom on April 9, 2004 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

Yes. Call or e-mail Griffen. They made it. I’m guessing they probably have an answer for you.

Posted by Sabon on April 11, 2004 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

Well I went ahead and got one of these locally from the apple store because I didn’t want to wait for it to be shipped.

Overall I’m very pleased with it. The sond quality isn’t as good as using the aux on your stereo if you have one avail, but its awesome for taking your iPod in your friends car or even to your friends house and playing it on a home stereo.  Very convenient and worth the $35 I paid for it.

Posted by Anthony on April 11, 2004 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

So if the itrip isn’t great, whats the best soultion for people who don’t think they have a good enough sound system to warrant buying the belkin car audio kit?  The cassette transfers are crap, and I haven’t heard anything good about the other fm transmitters..

help me!

Posted by danb on April 13, 2004 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

Anytime you have something that is wireless you won’t have as good of sound quality as something that is wired. At least not when the makers are restricted to how much power the devices can put out.

Having said that. For me the iTrip is as good as any FM radio station here in Seattle. And like radio stations you can expect some interference from power lines, etc.

I agree with you about the cassette adapters. I found the iTrip close enough in quality nad less of a pain that I went back to the iTrip.

BUT - if my Jeep and Honda GoldWing motorcycles had an AUX port on the radios I would definitely use that. Since they don’t, I can’t. So the iTrip is still the best (and not bad) option for me.

Posted by Sabon on April 13, 2004 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

like the itrip, you are all farked…...get a goddam life….

Posted by why are people so retarded on April 13, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

hey i just got my itrip for my ipod mini, i installed the setup.exe and put all the stations on my itunes but still when i plug my itrip into the ipod it never turns on. Does anyone know whats wrong with my itrip or did i not do something?

Posted by steveocanevil on April 14, 2004 at 11:55 PM (PDT)

One thing on the iTrip:  mine can no longer xmit down on 87.9 and 88.1   This after less than 5 months.  This bites as 87.9 is the most free slot around here.

Posted by DrWho on April 26, 2004 at 2:53 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >