Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for iPods w/Dock: $34.99 Shipped | iLounge News

Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for iPods w/Dock: $34.99 Shipped

Deals On The Web: MacResQ has the Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for iPods with a dock interface for $34.99. MacResQ also has the original Griffin iTrip for iPods with a FireWire port for $29.99. Use coupon code “GOBBLE” to get Free ground shipping through 11/30/03.

« 10GB 2nd Gen iPod: $189.99 Shipped

Why you can’t hear Jet on an iPod »

Comments

dont buy it! this is coming from someone who waited until it came out (for ages after it was announced btw).  then i read about the AudiaX. sold by merconnet, it is the bestest fm transmitter ever! itrip frequency range, works with anything, no music interruptions. dont get the iTrip - get the Audiax!

Posted by peterburk on November 26, 2003 at 12:35 PM (CST)

New Samsung mp3 player has FM receiver and transmitter built-in. What is keeping Apple behind? Why do we have to shell out extra for hacky kludges that eat battery like this Griffin?

“How did they fit all that in there? That’s the first question you’ll ask after checking out the new co-branded Samsung Napster YP-910GS player/recorder ($399 street). This latest addition to Samsung’s YEPP line of digital-audio devices is roughly the same size as the Apple iPod, but the YP-910GS manages to cram in a lot of extras

Posted by This Rocks on November 26, 2003 at 6:06 PM (CST)

my itrip works perfectly, no distortion, no crackle, no problems.  it’s small, easy to use, is cheap (come on $35 is peanuts) doesn’t need batteries, doen’t drain the ipod’s power, has no connection cables, is small (very small) and visually complements the ipod.  this all comes from my experience as a user.

“peterburk” & “this rocks”....do you own an itrip, have you used one extensively, what are you basing your opinions on??

personally, i love my itrip and i’d recommend everyone who wants to listen to their pods in a car buy one.

this is my opinion.

Posted by in_my_opinion on November 26, 2003 at 7:07 PM (CST)

What’s with all these ads?

Posted by Albert on November 26, 2003 at 7:07 PM (CST)

My iTrip works great…...never had a problem with it.
How much does that Samsung hold?

Posted by jmc in noitacol on November 26, 2003 at 11:20 PM (CST)

so far, I hate mine. It claims you can use it for iTunes and MM (in the new updated PC information for windows users) but you can’t. The CD it comes with only works with MM and the downloaded ‘updates’ only work with MM and the installation just dies. Now I have to decide if I want to wait it out for real updates or someone to have a way around this or eat the 10% restock fee from the Apple store. What a royal pain in the butt this thing is.

Posted by Takami826 on November 27, 2003 at 8:40 AM (CST)

in_my_opinion, iTrips are great for looks. no other transmitter, none, can compare to the elegance of an iTrip. However, consider how it works. You have to stop your music chain to change frequency. it works exclusively with one model of iPod. I am not saying that the iTrip is bad, i am just saying that it has drawbacks which the AudiaX does not. The AudiaX works great, with everything (not just iPods), and so you can change frequency without intteruptions.
Batteries, yes, however it is a small price to pay for the advantages of it. iTrips are good, and were the best, until the AudiaX (effectively an iTrip that works with everything) came along and gained the advantage.
This Rocks, iPodlounge is for iPodders, not people who think scrollwheel-less cheap other mp3 players are better. Apple makes stuff that works perfectly, not stuff that can do more, but dont work half the time. i think ive made my point,
Peter

Posted by peterburk on November 27, 2003 at 10:34 AM (CST)

peter,

“You have to stop your music chain to change frequency

i have never even had to change frequencies.  on recieving my itrip, i experimented for a short while to find the best frequency then just left it transmitting.

“it works exclusively with one model of iPod”

who cares.  i only have one model of ipod, and i’d assume most ipod owners also only own one model ipod, so this is not an issue.

so as far as i’m concerned, the itrip has no drawbacks.

Posted by in_my_opinion on November 27, 2003 at 7:04 PM (CST)

“iPodlounge is for iPodders, not people who think scrollwheel-less cheap other mp3 players are better”

Well, if having a schrollwheel is the absolute arbiter of success then it’s time to worry…

It has a scrollwheel!

It’s $99!

It has a 2.5” full-color screen

It plays audio, video, photo.

It runs on AAs.

Posted by Scrolling on November 27, 2003 at 10:20 PM (CST)

I don’t see a scroll wheel

Posted by Dave on November 28, 2003 at 9:04 AM (CST)

I think the main drawback is that it has no internal memory.  it only supports sd/mmc which runs hundreds of dollars for a 512 mg card.  When you do cost/benefit analysis does this really compare to the ipods internal storage of 10 - 40 gig?  I think the answer is obviously no.  Also the only type of video it supports is the companys proprietory HHE format.  So dont think youll be watching MPEG’s on it

Posted by bigwhitetail on November 28, 2003 at 3:42 PM (CST)

I’m not very happy with mine.  I also have a Belkin unit, and wanted to try the iTrip because of signal and stereo problems with the Belkin.  I like the form and function of the iTrip a lot better, but the performance leaves a lot to be desired.  With my boom box, a 3 foot distance and I’m getting signal and hiss problems.  In the car I have a Belkin lighter-power adapter with the audio output on the lighter plug part, so I can run both at the same time (on different channels).  The Belkin unit was better on almost all accounts.  The Belkin has better signal and tone reproduction than the iTrip.  The Belkin is, now, more dorky looking than the form fitting iTrip, and eats batteries at a phonominal rate.

The iTrip would be perfect if they could double the signal power.  If they are worried about power drain, I suggest a second version with power.  I use mine mostly plugged in, so if it sucks a little more power that’s Ok.

Posted by Todd Robinson on November 28, 2003 at 4:35 PM (CST)

The only complaint I have with the iTrip is I pre-ordered mine.  When it never arrived, I had to call the and find out why.  I was given the plain blunt answer, it was not ready, or something to this effect.  I think they could have sent me an email stating it was not going to be delivered on time.

Posted by cashaww on November 28, 2003 at 11:10 PM (CST)

> I think the main drawback is that it has no internal memory. it only supports sd/mmc

I think I would like an iPod with only flash memory because I broke my 1G when I dropped it and the hard disk fritzed. For future cardio workouts I got an iriver solid state. Plus, solid state is much smallere than iPod.

Posted by Fragile on November 28, 2003 at 11:32 PM (CST)

Itrip sucks. living in brussels. tried every single frequency on my radio. Cannot get a clear sound.
Also european ipod output gain is low. meaning I have to after-power it on my radio, giving me axtra loud hiss.

I think I’ll sell everything and get back to my CD’s.

Posted by TDR on December 1, 2003 at 2:32 AM (CST)

too bad tdr.  mine has worked perfectly, i’ve never even had to change frequencies.  i’d be moving out of europe and into australia when the frequency range is nice and clear.  good luck with carrying around 200 cd’s…fool

Posted by too_bad on December 1, 2003 at 3:22 PM (CST)