Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod: $32.95 | iLounge News

Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod: $32.95

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 17, 2003
News Categories: Deals

Deals on the Web: DevDepot is offering the Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod for $32.95. The device works with iPods that have a FireWire port on top, not the new dock-interface models. It’s among the best prices we’ve seen.

« Apple posts KBase Doc for independent labels

Newsday: iPod, iTunes Put Apple At Core of Music Industry »

Comments

Does anybody have information on a timeline for the *new* iTrip units (for the new iPod models) ?

Thanks for any details!

Posted by Tim on June 17, 2003 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Jeese! Minimum of $8 for shipping. Why don’t they offer Priority Mail for $4?

Posted by iTodd on June 17, 2003 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

I just received my iTrip yesterday.  It is a cleaver little unit that fits into the headphone plug.  It is powered by the iPod and configured using software that you load onto your computer and then onto the iPod as a playlist.  Then using the iPod you can select what frequency (FM) that you want to use.  You can also turn off the blue LED on the iTrip, which I found to be annoying and quickly turned it off.

I use a PC and didn’t have any trouble with the software load.  Nor have I had trouble with the iPod since.  I need more time to evaluate the FM signal, but from my early tests I would guess that I’m going to be very pleased with the sound.  I’m not sure if the sound will be a good as the direct-wired tape adapter that I use in my other car, but it did sound about as good as any commericial FM channel last night.  The transmitted signal was clearly strong enough as I sat in my Jeep.  I doubt that other types of vehicles will have trouble receiving the signal.

Now I need to figure out what to do about my case since this iTrip sticks up about 3/4 inch higher.

Anyway, I’m giving it a thumbs up recommendation.

I’m surprised that the iTrip doesn’t work with the new iPods—don’t they have the same headphone jack?  Maybe it’s a software issue.  The firewire port is not actually used.  All communication/signalling occurs via the headphone jack.  There are two platic tabs that fit into the firewire hole, but these just keep the iTrip aligned with the iPod.  Indeed, to charge the iPod while using the iTrip the directions state that you simply turn the iTrip and install it so that the firewire port is exposed.

Posted by Tom on June 17, 2003 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Have you noticed that if you unplug the iTrip after you’ve turned the LED off, the LED turns back on when you plug in the iTrip again? It doesn’t retain the command the same way it retains the frequency.

Posted by sixbillships on June 17, 2003 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

tom, you are very wrong about the itrip.
first the itrip doesnt work with the new ipods because the new ipods dont have the firewire plug at the top.  apple has made a new port at the bottom.  also, your statement:

“There are two platic tabs that fit into the firewire hole, but these just keep the iTrip aligned with the iPod.”

lol, the reason it plugs into the firewire is because thats where it gets its power from.  it uses the ipods battery, they dont just do it to keep it aligned, lol.

Posted by yourmom on June 18, 2003 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

yourmom—before you flame someone how about doing a little more research first.

Had you done so you would realize that the iTrip gets ALL of it’s power via the headphone jack!!!!  There is NO Firewire connection.  This is obvious upon inspection and ALSO stated in the owner’s manual!!!

I speculated that the reason it may not work with the new iPod because of software differences.  You see, the software in the IPod signals the selected transmit frequency to the iTrip via the headphone jack (this is essentially a “song” of sorts that the iTrip listens for).  I don’t know if the new iPods would do this the same way.

Now let’s relax and listen to some nice music smile

Posted by Tom on June 18, 2003 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

I heard rumours of iTrip not working in Europe. Is this true? I find it hard to believe, because how is the FM frequency in Europe different from the one in the USA?

Posted by Daan on June 18, 2003 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

i just got itrip, and when i went to instal it , it wanted to use music match instead of itunes, i want to instal it using itunes but it won’t let me, what should i do???

Posted by Sam T on June 23, 2004 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

how do i get the iTrip stations to not play when i have the shuffle function on. i have an iTrip but i lost the directions. thanks

Posted by erin on June 12, 2005 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

i have a question concerning my griffin itrip…in the beginning it worked really well, but now when i have it in and press play, the itrip won’t stream the songs..is it broken or did i somehow change the station? i can’t find the directions

Posted by jane on August 2, 2005 at 1:53 PM (PDT)