Griffin iTrip now available in Switzerland | iLounge News

Griffin iTrip now available in Switzerland

imageGriffin Technology has announced that its iTrip FM transmitter is now available in Switzerland thanks to recent changes made to Swiss law. Griffin said the device, which works with 3G, 4G and 5G iPods, can be purchased in the country from MediaMarkt, FNAC, Manor, Dataquestin and other retailers.

“Recent changes in Swiss law have opened the door to broadcast in Switzerland over the FM radio spectrum (87.9 - 107.9),” Griffin said in a statement. “iTrip’s CE certification means that users can be rest assured of iTrip’s compliance with strict laboratory guidelines for emmisions, broadcast strength, electrostatic discharge, and immunity to outside interference. In plain language, this means that iTrip will not conflict with other electronic devices, and that it will be available to a wider European market.”

« Pope presented with iPod nano

DOJ investigating digital music price fixing »

Comments

A little off topic, but I was considering buying an iTrip (I live in US). The only thing I’m concerned about is how much power it uses from the iPod while it’s running. Is this thing going to drain my battery a lot if I use it on a long road trip? Anybody know the actual life of the battery if you have this thing in it all the time?

Also, are there other transmitters similar to iTrip that are better?

Posted by Werewolf on March 3, 2006 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Try the Griffin iTrip Auto

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on March 3, 2006 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I use the iTrip and I haven’t noticed a considerable difference in battery life vs. normal headphone listening.  I like the new iTrip, but it’s a tad pricy.

Posted by David on March 3, 2006 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

I’ll bet it won’t stay seated in the port there, either. =/

Oh, and you can power this from your car using Griffin’s PowerJolt and a mini USB cable. That’s what I do. That way you can use it in or out of your car, with or without AC power. Makes it a little more versatile than the iTrip Auto.

Posted by Hrothgar on March 3, 2006 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

I like the idea of having the iTrip with the PowerJolt better than something where I can only use it in the car (I don’t have my license yet). Still, it’s pretty pricey to buy both those things, so mainly I was wondering if I would even need the extra power. I don’t often go on road trips where the ride both ways exceeds 6 hours so probably the iTrip alone will be fine if it’s the same as with headphones.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by Werewolf on March 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

I think you’d be okay for a six hour trip. Not sure what the drain is. I will say that plugging it in will give you a somewhat stronger signal, so there’s another reason to look into it. Plus, your iPod will be fully charged when you get to your destination.

If you do go that route, make sure you get the PowerJOLT and not the PowerPOD, as it won’t work with the latter. Also, you’ll need a USB to mini-USB cable. The one I got at Radio Shack didn’t work for some reason, but the one I got at Fry’s did. So make sure you keep the packaging and your receipt until you’re sure the cable works.

Posted by Hrothgar on March 3, 2006 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

Hm. I’m a Swiss resident and spent some 200 $ just for having those iTrips for me&friends; shipped to me back when they were not allowed over here. Bad news…but good news.

Posted by Felix on March 7, 2006 at 10:57 AM (PDT)