Griffin launches iFM Radio Browser for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Griffin launches iFM Radio Browser for iPhone, iPod touch

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, July 15, 2009
News Categories: Apps + Games

image

Griffin Technology has released iFM Radio Browser, its latest application for the iPhone and iPod touch. iFM Radio Browser serves as an interactive radio companion, providing users with real-time data—provided by Mediaguide—on local FM stations in their area, the currently playing song, with album art, artist info, and concert date information. Users may also browse by station, artist or genre, and can instantly purchase music with the iTunes app or save songs to a wish list for later purchasing. Finally, iFM Radio Browser works with Griffin’s recently released Navigate in-line controller and FM radio for iPod and iPhone, working as a touchscreen control interface. Griffin’s iFM Radio Browser is available now as a free download from the App Store.

« App Mix: Typography, Pizza Hut, Cyclops, WoW

Apple releases iTunes 8.2.1 with bug fixes, Palm Pre blocked? »

Comments

Hurray! It’s Spring at last! I look forward to a review, and to trying it out myself.

Posted by Rob E. on July 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Not yet in the spanish app store 

Posted by Gonzalo on July 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

Oh, I guess I won’t be trying it out myself. Was it always planned to be incompatible with 1st Gen Touches?  That seems like something I would have remembered. It was partly due to all the positive buzz about the application that I bought the Navigate. Otherwise I felt that the price tag was a little high for the remote control functions (although I like them very much) and the standard FM tuner. The spiffy ap that came along with it was what I thought might encourage me to actually use the radio tuner and therefore get my money’s worth out of it, but I guess I should have waited for the application to buy the Navigate.

Posted by Rob E. on July 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

Griffin has contacted us to let us know that the incompatibility with the first-generation iPod touch was a listing mistake in the App Store and has been fixed; the app will now download and install on the touch.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

Excellent.  Good to know, and thanks for following up. So I guess the fact that iFM isn’t controlling my Navigate is because I have an older version of the Navigate, and not because I have a 1G Touch.

Posted by Rob E. on July 17, 2009 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

I work for Griffin Support, and just wanted to let users know that if they have an old Navigate and cannot use it with the iFM app, let us know, at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

If you still have proof of purchase, we can swap out your hardware. Please give us a few days to get back to you.

Posted by Rachel on July 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

Interestingly after e-mailing customer support from the Griffin website and waiting almost a week, I finally heard back from them with a brief note asking me to call tech support.

I haven’t done that yet, but hopefully it goes better than e-mailing did.

Posted by Rob E. on July 28, 2009 at 8:52 AM (PDT)