Griffin, others chase increasingly popular OtterBox cases
Thanks to continued concerns over the durability of Apple’s glass-based devices, the last several months have seen an unexpected but noteworthy increase in the number of ruggedized iPhone and iPod cases, as well as growing visibility of such cases at mainstream retailers. The rugged case market, which has long been dominated by a single company—OtterBox—has recently seen an influx of new players, including Ballistic and Griffin Technology, which are now targeting OtterBox’s popular multi-layer Defender and Commuter series cases with new designs. Ballistic specifically went after OtterBox’s products with an aggressive marketing campaign, at one time claiming in its press materials that it was selling a model “better” than OtterBox’s flagship case Defender. By contrast, Griffin has taken an almost coy position for its family of new “Armored” series of cases for the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch. Asked about the similarities between the company’s just-released Survivor and OtterBox’s Defender, Griffin called the correlation between its new offerings and OtterBox’s lineup “not direct,” and has sought to present the positives of its product rather than making competitive comparisons.
Survivor touts military-grade testing in labeling that claims the hard plastic and rubber case “meets or exceeds US/UK military standards,” including shock/drop, wind/rain, sand/dust, and vibration tests that portray Survivor as everything but completely waterproof. Griffin’s packaging for Survivor reveals that the case is actually the first in a series of three—Explorer and Tracker are the others, as yet formally unannounced—which will see Griffin offering “more protection than any case we’ve ever made,” a considerably different angle relative to the ever-thinner plastic shells that have been flooding the market in recent years. Ballistic and other companies, such as Incipio, have similarly announced multiple models with varying levels of anti-shock and elemental protection, making it clear that more and bigger companies are attempting to compete in this segment of the market, which will clearly benefit consumers by increasing the variety of durable cases on the market.
- Apple threatens action against accessory makers using leaked device specs
- Typo fined $860,000 for violating BlackBerry injunction
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?