Griffin releases iFill Internet Radio recorder | iLounge News

Griffin releases iFill Internet Radio recorder

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 7, 2005
News Categories: Windows Software

imageGriffin Technology is now offering its iFill Internet Radio recording software for iPod. iFill streams mp3 files from free internet radio stations directly to your iPod. Several stations can be chosen at once, enabling the user to fill up their iPod in a short period of time. The software operates independently of iTunes, yet offers a similar interface for ease of use. As a copyright protection measure, iFill puts music straight onto the iPod—not on the computer, and the software makes links directly iTunes Music Store for the songs identified in the downloaded streams. iFill is now available for Mac and PC and sells for $19.99; a free trial download is also available.

« Tunewear intros Tunefilm, Prie Tunetag I.D. for nano

iSkin Duo for iPod nano details »

Comments

Pretty cool idea ... I downloaded the trial version (one week trial).  This is a great thing to hook up overnight and get some fresh tunes in the morning ... I did a trial load of about an hour’s worth ... works great!  The songs are put in a GENRE labeled IFILL so you can access just those songs if you like.  I just straight play through them ... no gaps between songs ... I like it so far ... the software is very easy to use, as well.  I’d say it’s worth a trial ... I’ll most likely purchase this for the $19.99 they are asking ...

Pam smile

Posted by Pam (mdscriber3) on October 7, 2005 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

The software requires your iPod to be in Manual Sync Mode…you can’t use Sync to Selected Playlists and all the benefits that brings.

There are other recording solutions to streaming media if that is a deal breaker for you.

Posted by Tom Affinito on October 7, 2005 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

You’re right ... that is a huge downfall ... oh well ... Thanks for pointing that out ... Pam

Posted by Pam (mdscriber3) on October 7, 2005 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

Actually, now I’m trying it on my Shuffle ... I think it would work best for that.  Pam smile

Posted by Pam (mdscriber3) on October 7, 2005 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

I may be interested in this iFill. But how does it work exactly? Can you specify specific stations and the start and stop times of the stations you want to record? I would be curious to know, Pam, how much material you are able to load onto your shuffle. I have a 1gig.

Posted by BananaPod on October 7, 2005 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

BananaPod—You can pick whatever stations you want (not just on the list they give you but if you know of one not on their list, you can specify a URL).  You can stream more than one station at a time during a “fill.”  Start and stop times I don’t think you can specify.  If you can, I haven’t seen it.  What you do is you select how much space of your iPod you want to “fill” with iFill.  For a sample today, I chose about half of my 512GB Shuffle to be “iFill’ed” (I selected a “reserved” space of 242MB so the rest got “filled” with iFill).  I chose two stations to iFill with simultaneously and I ended up with 67 songs (4.4 hours) of music.  So multiply that by 4 and you will get a rough estimate of how much would fill a 1GB Shuffle.  It takes a little time to record the streaming audio ... I didn’t time it, though, but it was probably under an hour or so to fill half of my 512GB Shuffle.  There is also a nifty way to figure out where to put the “breaks” between “tracks” but I haven’t tried it out yet.  Try the free trial and let me know what you think of it.  HTH some ... Pam smile

Posted by Pam (mdscriber3) on October 7, 2005 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

Why not just use StreamripperX?  It’ll save the ripped stream to your HD (separated and ID3 tagged), and then you just import the files into iTunes and sync.  $0.00

Posted by theothermike on October 8, 2005 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

I have my 40GB iPod photo set for auto-sync.  I currently have about 7400 songs on my iPod.  Are there any issues with having to switch to a manual sync?  Does this mean that my 7400 songs are going to have to be loaded manually in order to listen to radio stram and still keep all my songs on iPod?

Posted by epie on October 9, 2005 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

great idea, but not able to specify start and end time is a killer.  i have been looking for ways to record “all things considered”.

Posted by joe on October 9, 2005 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Epie:  I would think that only means that you would have to load all new music files on by hand instead of the ipod recognizing new tunes in your iTunes library and loading them onto the iPod automatically.  Also, if you have Smart Playlists that are automatically updated, your iPod set to manual won’t update those.  It would be nice to have start and end times and I think that would probably be able to be added in software updates, I’m sure.  This is brand new for Griffin so I would anticipate updates I would guess.  As for Streamripper and SreamripperX, that is great software but the main differences I see between the two are that with Griffin’s iFill, you can stream more than one station at a time (I did five last night and filled up my 512GB Shuffle in less than two hours with 160+ tunes of streamed audio content) and with StreamripperX and Streamripper I haven’t seen a way to do more than one stream at a time (I could be wrong and it does do it I just haven’t figured it out yet).  Also, obviously iFill just loads the streams directly into your iPod and Streamripper loads it to your harddrive and you have to import into iTunes and then update your ipod.  Pam smile

Posted by Pam (mdscriber3) on October 9, 2005 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

I am having a shot of the trial version (on windows) but it doesn’t appear to let me record any chanel, does anyone know if this feature is unavailable on the trial or on windows?

cheers

Posted by UnworthyPapaLazaru on October 9, 2005 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I really like iFill, but i think that I will try it again after I have a bigger iPod. All I have is a shuffle, and having to reload everything when I want to put a new song from my library is a real hassle. What do people with bigger iPods think?

Posted by WldKt in United States on October 9, 2005 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

Windows 2000 Pro
IPOD 60 gig Photo

Program freezes after it finds to IPOD. Anyone know if it supports Windows 2000?

Posted by dmopro on October 9, 2005 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

Got a free ‘clipped’ ifill with the Roadtrip here in NZ. I can only stream 2 channels at a time - have to upgrade to get more.
I like the product - works for me. But when using the editor to clean up the finish/start track option I get no audio, so abit hit or miss.
Also whenmonitoring and/or recording the audio sounds “slowed down”, but playback through vid pod is fine. Can’t crumble for a freby.
Sandy
Auckland
NZ

Posted by Sandy on September 2, 2006 at 7:08 AM (PDT)