Griffin rolls out new iTrip | iLounge News

Griffin rolls out new iTrip

imageGriffin Technology today announced a new version of its popular iTrip FM transmitter for all full-size dockable iPods, including the new iPod introduced today. Unlike past iTrip models, the new version mounts to the bottom of third, fourth and fifth-generation iPods via the dock connector.

The new iTrip features a backlit LCD screen, a side-mounted switch to select broadcast frequency (88.1-107.9MHz), and the ability to set the iTrip to either US or International tuning modes. The device, which requires no batteries, also offers selectable LX or DX modes of broadcasting, which let you find the best possible audio under real-world conditions. The iTrip is priced at $49.99 and will be available later this month.

« Apple posts special event video, iPod commercial

New Podcast: iLounge Week in Review iPod 5G Special! »

Comments

I hope they make a black version also.

Posted by Gee on October 12, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I guess the iTrip with LCD was useless…

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on October 12, 2005 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

Nice, since I guess the signal will be better with line-out quality rather than headphone quality.

But, how about charging the iPod while this is connected? Does this have a dock pass-through? I can’t seem to gleam that from the site.

Posted by Michael on October 12, 2005 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

I agree with Michael. How will the ipod be charged at the same time? Does the iTrip have a
dock connector aswell?

Posted by Dan on October 12, 2005 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

My question is that can we use the older versions of Itrip/Itrip Killer Xtreme, etc for the new Ipod Video that was just released today? or do we need to buy the new version?

Posted by Dennis on October 12, 2005 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

Damnit!  I bought two of the iTrip LCD… does that mean it’s obsolete already???

Posted by Frank Z on October 12, 2005 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

I read somewhere that the iPod video doesn’t have a power port on the top, so probably not; that would explain why this iTrip was rolled out so quickly after the last one; they had to find a way to mooch power the only other way they could (dock connector).

I third the charging-the-iPod concern.  Without some means of plugging in a DC adapter, an iTrip is pretty much useless on long road trips.  Luckily, I won’t need to upgrade beyond my old-school original iTrip for a while…. although it’s getting tempting…

Posted by Eric on October 12, 2005 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

There is a mini-usb port on the side to allow charging of the iPod whilst the iTrip is attached.

Personally I hate it. THe iTrip LCD was beautiful, that big silver tuning knob. This thing looks like a poor copy of the iTrip and is really not up to Griffin’s usual standards.

What of the iTalk? What good is a dictaphone attachment going to be on the bottom of the iPod? I also don’t get why Apple ditched the remote port??? Personally I like not having to pull my £300 music player out of my pocket in a busy street just to turn the volume up or down a bit.

Loving the new iPods but I feel that some bad development choices are being made just for the sake of design…

Posted by craigybaby on October 13, 2005 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

I hate this accessory on the bottom thing.

Posted by stark23x on October 13, 2005 at 12:33 AM (PDT)

will this work with the ipod mini’s? after all, they have a dock connector at the bottom too? not too bothered if it doesn’t fit flush with the mini as long as it works

thanks

Posted by Bav on October 13, 2005 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

Yeah, I would think it would work with the minis and even the nano. Although with the nano it would be rather oddly placed since the dock connector isn’t centered on the nano.

I also wish the new iPods kept the remote port. I was seriously considering getting one of the new iPods but since my LCD iTrip won’t work on it, I don’t think I want one. This new one doesn’t seem very convenient. At least not with the way my car setup is. Right now, I put the iPod into one of those iPod holders that sits in my cup holder. I run a dock connector charger to it at the bottom and the iTrip sits on top making it easy for me to control. With this new iTrip, the iTrip will be sitting at the bottom and would just be awkward to control. But, I guess it’s the best they could do considering the design of the new iPod.

Posted by Shadow on October 13, 2005 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

DOES NOT WORK WITH THE NANO!!!
At least, the nano is not on the list of iPods on Griffin’s website that the new iTrip is compatible with.  This sucks, as the nano was launched before the new iPod.  I’ve been waiting ages for a nano compatible iTrip, and they give us this POS!

Posted by Dopial on October 13, 2005 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Waiting a bit more than 5 weeks is now “ages”?

I would bet this works with any dock connector iPod. I’ll keep an eye on their webpage.

Posted by Jopidal on October 13, 2005 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

The Griffin website now explicitly lists the Nano and Mini as working with this product. I guess patience is called for!

Posted by JOhn on October 14, 2005 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

can anyone please specify on the charging while using the itrip? now i need a “mini-usb” end charger to work this thing?

Posted by erwin_mayer on October 18, 2005 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

anybody know an official release date for this,  i just got my video ipod and i need a iTrip, im dyin here mannnnn

Posted by drew on October 20, 2005 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

this new iTrip most definitely works with
• 5th Generation iPod with Video
• iPod nano
• iPod Photo
• iPod U2 Special Edition
• iPod mini
• 4th Generation iPod with Click Wheel
• 3rd Generation iPod with touch wheel and buttons

according to the griffin website
also, it does have a mini usb port on the side which can be used for charging, although the usb cable for doing such an action is not included

Posted by Pat on October 29, 2005 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Here is what I’ve gotten.  It looks like you’ll probably have to buy the power adapter that griffin sells with the mini usb.  Either that or get an adapter somehow.  The website says late october, but I doubt that considering the date.  Amazon has it listed as being released november 15th, so that seems about right.  Too bad I’m going to have to suffer for 2 weeks.  Yes, the new ipod does appearently cost more than previous ones considering how much third party accessories we have to buy. :?

Posted by evan on October 30, 2005 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

r u shure about hte charging?

Posted by jitaroo on November 7, 2005 at 10:58 AM (PDT)