Griffin ships SmartDeck cassette adapter for iPod | iLounge News

Griffin ships SmartDeck cassette adapter for iPod

imageGriffin Technology announced today that it is now shipping the SmartDeck Intelligent Cassette Adapter for iPod (iLounge Rating: B+). The $29.99 accessory allows users to control their iPod using the built in controls of their cassette player.

“SmartDeck is more than just a cassette adapter for iPod; it achieves truly seamless integration between iPod and cassette deck,” says Griffin. “Users can utilize the cassette deck’s forward and rewind buttons to advance to the next or prior songs in the iPod playlist. In addition, pause and stop buttons do what pause and stop buttons are expected to do. When the user hits the cassette deck’s Eject button or switches from Cassette to Radio, Griffin’s SmartPlay technology automatically pauses the iPod.”

Griffin said that a version of the SmartDeck compatible with the iPod nano is expected to begin shipping in November.

« iPod nano searches continue to surge

DLO offers Transpod fit kit for iPod nano »

Comments

I’ve had one of these things on backorder for months. Maybe the note was there before, but now I see that Play/Pause won’t work with a 3G iPod. So how the hell is this thing any better than my present cassette adapter?

I cancelled the order.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 12:05 PM (CDT)

Griffin has a history of announcing products months before they are available.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

I’ve got a Honda GoldWing motorcycle which has a cassette player on it. Now I’ll be able to use the cassette controls on it to control my iPod which will now be able to be hidden away and protected.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

—-Griffin has a history of announcing products months before they are available.
I ordered a RadioShark from griffin the day it was announced and took delivery of it 18months later!!!”

I e-mailed them way back when and said I wasn’t going to order anything that isn’t shipping for exactly that reason. What if someone comes out with something better?

—-Anyway, what I want to know is how are they going to make one of these compatible with the Nano since the nano doest have a remote port.

Excellent question. My guess is that it is going to connect to the USB port on the bottom.

—-Is the tape deck is going to have a dock connector? If so then you wond be able to charge it in the car at the same time…

Are you asking for the nanos or about the SmartDeck for the minis and full size iPods? My guess is the former will probably have a splitter allowing you to charge it while playing it. But the latter a definite no.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Oh, I know they’re good for announcing products eons before they ship. I don’t know how many months I waited for my iTrip. For the most part, their products are decent. But with functionality severely reduced for my iPod on this product…I’ll skip it. My present car has a 12-CD changer in the trunk anyway.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 1:23 PM (CDT)

Save your cash and get a 4G instead.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

I have been waiting for this to be available so as soon as I read your notice, I went to the website (which finally says “Order Now” instead of “Preorder Now”) and placed my order. About 6 hours later, I received an email that my order cannot ship because the item is BACKORDERED.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 9:54 PM (CDT)

WTF?  I have had a CD player in my car since 1987.

Posted by LC Angell on September 30, 2005 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

Yippee!  Ordered it back in January.  I have a road trip this weekend, maybe it will be here by then…

Posted by LC Angell on October 1, 2005 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

anyone managed to silence the wheels inside these things yet? they grind away so the deck keeps playing but….grrrr!

Posted by LC Angell on October 3, 2005 at 10:24 AM (CDT)